Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £8 a gallon, what are we/what can we do about this?

Default £8 a gallon, what are we/what can we do about this?

Its reported that we could be paying £8 a gallon for our fuel before too long......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12259273

What can we do about this, surely we arent going to sit back and take it are we? I know we dont have much clout up here like inner cities do but I am sure we can do something about this!!!!
    I have noticed that our local MP Mr.Thurso has been very quiet since his party sold their souls to the Conservatives, perhaps our first line of protest would be to bombard him with e-mails.
    Anyone have any idea's on combatting this travesty, especially as the ConDems are going to push up the price by yet another 4p a litre in April !!

C3.....

I heard something on our local news the other day that the 2000 strikes would be happening again, but on a larger scale???
    A lot of haulage companies going to the wall as a result of the ever increasing fuel prices! Also the fact that businesses that deliver are having to pass the increase onto the customers who themselves are already struggling!
    There will be many more firms going bust, and down here in Newport we have to pay for the severn bridge too, bless!!

All we can do is to sit back and watch the price of fuel go up to £12.00 a Gallon.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

We in the UK are too conservative in nature to go down the route of the French, Greek or Spanish. I doubt if the Road Haulage Association or the Freight Transport Association have the bottle for another 'strike'.
    Oh there will be a lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth while inflation spirals out of control but dissent will be minimal and the grubbiement will just carry on causing mayhem,.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Well, I am in favour of e-mailing John Thurso for a start, anyone care to join me?

http://www.johnthurso.org/en/

I am sure he has some influence over David Cameron and his Cronies.....

C3....

Use less fuel, be more prudent with journeys, don't go to town until you need a full shop, that sort of thing. I have to travel for work so I'm trying to be more efficient, but many can and I'm sure will cut down.

After all, that is one of the reasons for the Labour (with pressure from the Greens) accelerator on the duty.

If enough of us use less fuel you can bet the price will come down.

I think that 4p could be considerably more come April if the price keeps rising as it is.

To coin a phrase we have been con/demed, and its for a minimum of 5 years.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

My dog!! I remember when I used to fill up my first car for a fiver. There is one way that something could be done but every working person in the country would have to support it. If everyone drove out onto the roads and then switched off their engines and refused to move the entire country would grind to a halt in 30 minutes! But.... it would take 100% action or the few would be victimised and prosecuted. All out means just that - doctors, dentists, teacher, blue collar, brown collar, police, everybody. That would never happen so we will just have to absorb the cost.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

One way of showing the strength of feeling drivers have regarding this issue would be if everyone were to boycott just one retailer. Imagine Shell for instance was boycotted for a month and everyone bought their fuel from other outlets. Shell retail would be crippled. OK it's a small gesture but it would highlight driver's feelings and put the grubbiement on the back foot because they wouldn't know what people might collectively boycott next.
    Maya Angelou

Storm the basteille i say! well the Houses of Parliament and get Clegg n Cameron on all fours and insert a petrol pump where the sun dont shine!

Bring on the revolution!

Love it - made me smile!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I love the way that Labour supporters criticise the government, acting as if they wouldn't be doing similar if they were in power.

And the same, but with roles reversed, previous to the election.

Didn't the new government "inherit" a fuel duty rise set by Labour when they were still in power?

The government COULD cut fuel duty, but then it needs to make the money somehow else. Either that or more cuts.

Fuel duty is one of the "fairer" taxes in my opinion, in that you pay based on how much you use.

Want to save on fuel duty? Use less fuel.

Use red diesel. Simples!

I do think that many of all Countries woes is the 'State Tax' on fuel to support 'Social programs'. In addition we.....both here and there are supporting all those poor countries..And I am all for supporting them, but unfortunately a sad example is Haiti. Millions in cash, food and medical supplies were put in there and really nothing to see for it.
    Interesting Documentary on recently by CNN. Much of the food and supplies are still in Warehouses and an only be released if 'Taxes' are paid. And of course Baby Doc is back!
    Kinda sad really.

make bio-diesel. i heard of a few people doing this

Duty rate on biodiesel still not as cheap as red!

you only pay duty if you make over a certain amount in a year

Walk or get on eh skippen chet

The price of fuel at the pumps hasn't actually changed that much since the early 1980s if you consider it in real terms and take inflation into account. After some quick googling I found this table which shows that taking inflation into account the price of fuel has risen from £1 in 1983 to £1.14 in 2010. Although 2010 has seen a larger increase than previously, it would be interesting to compare it to the cost of fuel in real terms during the oil crisis in the '70s.

But of course as the cost of extracting fuel is increasing, as companies have to go after smaller and more tricky to access deposits, the price of fuel is going to keep on rising and there is very little we can do about this, other than using less or finding alternatives.

Whatever fuel is used to power any form of transport the UK grubbiement will tax it. There have been a plethora of alternatives but the oil industry has managed to thwart investment in development. Even if a car was run on fresh air you can bet the grubbiement would tax the provision of equipment and people power to deliver it.
    Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast