Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: 8 a gallon, what are we/what can we do about this?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Interesting idea - but where do the supermarkets buy their fuel from? Do they buy it on the open market? Or are they supplied by BP / ESSO or Shell etc?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    4,794

    Default Fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncansby View Post
    Interesting idea - but where do the supermarkets buy their fuel from? Do they buy it on the open market? Or are they supplied by BP / ESSO or Shell etc?
    Dunno., Sorry.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    This will be really easy for us to do in Caithness

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Am not sure that is perhaps the answer....
    Just another thought on things......
    I paid $1.08 cents this am per litre....that is .68p according to the exchange rate today. And I am sure that North America and Europe are not paying such a different price for the wholesale cost, so can it be the Taxes...i.e. The UK Gov't tax being more??
    Just another thought on a ...........subject!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    Am not sure that is perhaps the answer....
    Just another thought on things......
    I paid $1.08 cents this am per litre....that is .68p according to the exchange rate today. And I am sure that North America and Europe are not paying such a different price for the wholesale cost, so can it be the Taxes...i.e. The UK Gov't tax being more??
    Just another thought on a ...........subject!
    According to this site it is composed as illustrated:-

    http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Big chunk to the Gov't...............

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    309

    Default

    If you scroll down to page 6 there is a useful graph showing the amount of duty paid across EU states in 2002. I have seen a more up-to-date version (which also includes USA and Canada) but I can't seem to find it at the moment. But I do remember that the USA had, if not the lowest duty applied it was certainly close to the least.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Get an electric car.

    4p ish for about 200 miles.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Get an electric car.

    4p ish for about 200 miles.
    OK if you buy new cars with a starting price of around 24,000 after the Gov. bribe, and you don't need to go anywhere. Range is only about 100 miles

    and not 4pish for 200 miles

    Oh, and good luck getting serviced in Wick

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncansby View Post
    If you scroll down to page 6 there is a useful graph showing the amount of duty paid across EU states in 2002. I have seen a more up-to-date version (which also includes USA and Canada) but I can't seem to find it at the moment. But I do remember that the USA had, if not the lowest duty applied it was certainly close to the least.
    In Canada the value of Tax added is approx 30%.. It varies across the Provinces and you are correct about the United States....Less.
    The UK is quite expensive....Maybe its time to chase 'e Gov't mannie'!

  11. #31

    Default

    Husband was at a dinner party with some of Mr O's backroom boys last weekend- 20 per gallon isn't beyond imagination. face it- its an easy tax. it will take much more than high prices to get petrolheads out of their cars.

    Why not up the tax on:
    posh shirts? brandy and cigars? membership of the Bullingdon Club? Freebie cruises? posh baby buggies? I'm sure we can all suggest some way that we can spread the load?
    Bagpuss

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    According to this site it is composed as illustrated:-

    http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html
    The first Google advert at the bottom of the page on that link is for a National Red Diesel Supplier! Class!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Under a Land Rover and sometimes behind the wheel !
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Even better, drive a landrover and use cooking oil. Much cheaper. Highly illegal if not disclosed but cheaper. Oh minor draw back, smells like a chip shop arriving at your house.
    ONE LIFE... LIVE IT...

  14. #34

    Default

    whats the sense hitting at the oil company's after all they are the one's who have too dig it out of the ground and they have to make a profit the ones that should be took to task is the government it is them that are making all the profit what it needs in this country is for everyone to protest over the way the government are robbing the motorists what we must bare in mind is when the cost of fuel goes up the cost of everything else goes up 2.5% increase in vat = 2.5% on goods also 2.5% on cost of transporation what is needed is direct action like a few years ago it may takea little pain to get a little gain

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Under a Land Rover and sometimes behind the wheel !
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Where they buy from at source i am unsure but i do know for fact all tankers fill up at the same refinery and the same filling pumps. I have seen this for my own eyes at Foley Refinery Southampton many moons ago and i was amazed. Like all things no doubt, the more you buy the better rate you get. Companies like tesco would not be hurt by lack of sales at their pumps and their profit is made in the store. I would love to join a boycott as i put over 250 most weeks in my van but is that the answer. Some of us need the fuel to do are job, let alone get to work. It seems a no win situation. I try hard to fill up at Dunnets in Wick but i get alot of unwanted pressure from Inverness office when i do. I like to use the town garage and would be sad to see them go but as prices rise and times get even harder every penny counts and tesco are the cheapest but a fair bit.
    ONE LIFE... LIVE IT...

  16. #36

    Default

    Not quite. Most shops are VAT registered, so the extra VAT on the fuel gets claimed back throughout the chain, so that in effect, no-one pays it. The only extra VAT is on the net value of the end product.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muddywilli View Post
    Even better, drive a landrover and use cooking oil. Much cheaper.
    Not if, as your locations suggests, you spend most of your time underneath it in the garage!

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Under a Land Rover and sometimes behind the wheel !
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Not if, as your locations suggests, you spend most of your time underneath it in the garage!
    I like you already. Humour makes the world go round.
    ONE LIFE... LIVE IT...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •