Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bees ...whats you view

Question Bees ...whats you view

Whats you views .Last summer while out walking on the hill i came across some be hives within 10 meter maybe of public foot path i was walking quietly past them but noticed one or two buzzing around so started to run thankfully out ran them but a shortwhile later passed the guy who was looking after them i stopped to chat to him about the bees and he later mentioned that they wur a bit agressive so my thoughts are maybe it would be wise to alert the public that this was the case ,as there are quite a few people these days that are allergic to the sting .Plus it parent were passing with kids who maybe couldnot out run them ..... i am not saying get rid of them just put a notice advising people that they are there ....whats your view

My little sisters are already adept at out-running anything that makes a buzzing sound!!
    I wonder what can have made them so aggressive, I was always told that bees were friendly. I do think that if someone is keeping bees, then a sign to warn people is probably a good idea.
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

walk away calmly and purposely not causing a flap...bees only sting if threatened as they die after stinging so dont do it lightly!
    Dont run and dont scream!

What a very odd thing to say - warn people that bees are there? Why? Anyone allergic to bees would be carrying an epipen anyway.
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Were the entrances to the hives facing towards the path or away from the path?

There is a path to the front and the back of the hives .Leanne some people who are stung are not aware they are allergic until after they are stung also i and i am sure others would avoid going near them as not to agrivate them .plus i am sure if you are alergic to the sting you would want to avoid putting youself in that situation
    Last edited by donnick; 23-Jan-11 at 10:44.

Well, I love watching bees from a distance but not very keen at all on them up close! We used to have a couple of bees' nests in the garden at our house in Lincolnshire so we just avoided them.
    As for having a sign warning people, I think it is absolutely the right thing to do. It doesn't put anyone to any trouble and means that someone who is allergic or frightened of bees would just know the places to avoid.
    And signs do exist, as shown here! I hope this picture works...

EDIT: hm, picture didn't seem to work. Help, anyone?!
    The Forty Five Project - Celebrate Culture and Make Film History.

it would also save a possible law suite for the owners of the bee's if there was a sign up. but as for bee stings and other allergies like.. not everyone carried their pen on them all the time. Im diabetic.. but i dont carry insulin on me 99 percent of the time. however i really need to get one of those bracelets! anywho... my brother was stung by a bee as a young child.. nearly died before they could get him to the hospital.and that was from only one bee. . so at the end of the day.. lives are at risk.. and if its in a public place where a lot of people traverse.. then it would be no problem putting up a sign that warns there are bees.. instead of being stung, hurt or killed.. and the beekeeper falling into grief with the loss of bees or dealing with the fall out from it.
    http://itqueries.com/

Personally I wouldnt put bees near a public footpath but thats because Id be more concerned for the bees safety (it might make them vulnerable to vandalism / theft etc and signs might draw unwelcome attention). But not everyone has that choice and people keep bees nowadays in towns, cities and public allotments. Id find it hard to beleive that any beekeeper would put his bees where their flight path into the hive actually crosses a public path and since you say the hives are about 10m away then that should be more than enough safe distance. Provided the path is outside the flight path then it should be as safe as anywhere else (bees forage up to 3 miles away from home so they are everywhere anyway). But Id guess that signs would need to be posted at times when the beekeeper is working in the hives as the bees quite rightly get angry when their hives are opened and this is a time when a bypasser would be at more risk. Its unlikely that the hives are being opened much at this time of year and even when they are, its too cold for the bees to fly. If you are worried, speak to the beekeeper and if he doesnt put your mind at rest then speak to whoever is responsible for the path.

Pony that sound like a good idea will probly have to wait until spring /summer to catch hold of him .

If the hives are on hill ground ie heather, the hives will not be there until August/ September when the heather is in blooom.
    Always stay to the rear of the hives, and the bees are unlikely to bother you, unless you bother them

scunner the hives are there all year round and yes i was walking to the front of the hives so now i will walk to the back off them thanks

Bees are awesome.