The other one.
“Tomorrow’s the deadline to get our money in for the Fun Run,” Emma told Miranda, her best friend, “and I only have 5 sponsors. Mum and Dad and my Nan on Mum’s side and Nan and Pop on Dad’s side. Sally wants to sponsor me but she hasn’t got any money. $34.00! I have to work out a way of finding more sponsors, I really want to win the TV/DVD Combo that is first prize for raising the most money. The second prize of a Sony I-pod would be OK, but I really want a TV of my own, for my room,” she said into the phone.
“ Well, $34.00 is not going to win you anything.” commented Miranda.
“Every one else in the whole school will get more than that. Why won’t Mum and Dad just ask the neighbours, or the people from church for me?” She fumed.
“Hello?” the door to her room opened and Sally, her sister came in and plonked on the end of the bed.
“I’ve gotta go Miranda, I’ll see you later,” she hung up the phone.
“Whatcha doin’?” Sally asked.
“Counting my sponsorship money.”
“How much have you got?”
“A bit,” Emma replied, and quickly stuffed the money and form into her school bag before Sally could see.
“What do you think the Magnificent Mystery Prize is?” Sally asked quickly, changing the subject.
Emma shrugged, not interested in the stupid Magnificent Mystery Prize or in talking to her ‘Miss Goody Two Shoes’ about it.
“I’m going to Miranda’s.” She walked out of the room, taking her bag with her, leaving Sally sitting on the bed.

On the walk to Miranda’s Emma tried to think of ways that she could get more sponsorship money. I really want that TV/DVD, she thought. Miranda might have some ideas.
They sat on the lounge in the family room and drank hot chocolate as Miranda counted her sponsorship money.
“Well I have $391.25, what if I give you half of mine?” Miranda suggested.
“How did you get that much?” Emma was amazed at the amount.
“Oh, Dad asked his colleagues from work and Mum sponsored me for $100.” she replied airily. Emma really liked Miranda, but she sometimes envied her rich friend. Money was no problem for the West’s, but Emma and Sally’s parents had normal jobs. Both Miranda’s Mum and Dad were doctor’s, and as an only child Miranda could have anything she wanted.
“How can we take the sponsors off your form and put them on mine?” Emma didn’t see how it could be done, “The forms have to be signed by the sponsors and yours is already filled in.”
“It’ll be easy,” Miranda assured her. “We’ll just forge the signatures onto yours and white them out on mine.”
“But they’ll be able to see that we removed them from yours. Won’t they?” Emma wanted the extra money, but wasn’t sure that Miranda’s plan would work.
The girls looked closely at the sponsorship forms, they were high gloss and very colourful. Emma didn’t think that they could easily remove the writing. She frowned, “I don’t think it’ll work.”
“I have an idea!” exclaimed Miranda, “We can photocopy it.”
“How?”
“My Dad’s office has a brand new, really cool photocopier, I’m sure we could copy it and you would hardly tell the difference” she jumped up off the lounge, “Come on. We’ll just tell him it’s for a school assignment.”
“Will he let us use it?” Emma wasn’t sure, this was getting more and more complicated.
“Sure, he never takes any notice of my school work, as long as I don’t get into trouble at school, he doesn’t care what I do.”
This amazed Emma, her parents wanted to know everything about everything in her life. She had always been jealous of the life Miranda had, and as much as she resented her parents nosiness, at least they cared about her and what she did.
“Come on,” Miranda held the form out in front of Emma’s face and flapped it under her nose, “ we have work to do.”

Emma and Miranda went to Miranda’s Dad’s office, and Emma was relieved to see that it was empty. At least they would not have to lie about what they were doing. Miranda went straight to a large, impressive looking machine and opened a drawer on the side.
“Shouldn’t you ask first?” Emma was beginning to wonder if this was really worth it. “I mean, won’t you get into trouble for using it without permission.”
“No, it’s fine. Dad’s playing golf and won’t be home for ages. He probably won’t even know.”
“What about your Mum?”
“I think she’s out shopping.” Miranda pulled out a sheet of paper from the draw. “This should be OK.”
Miranda lifted the lid on the top of the copier and put the form on the glass plate, put the lid down and pressed a button on the front. The machine whirred and squawked, clicked and whirred some more before it finally spat out a colourful piece of paper. It looked the same as the form that was under the lid, but the paper was not glossy like the original form.
“We need better paper,” said Emma.
“Yeah, but this one is so we can trace the signatures form my form onto yours.”
“Oh.”
“We’ll do that in a minute, first we have to find some better paper. You look in that cupboard, and I’ll go through the drawers in the filing cabinet.”