Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested Reading / Favourites

Default Suggested Reading / Favourites

Individuals will no doubt have individual choices but I think it would be nice to have a central thread that people can add to as we go along.

To start this ball rolling I'm going to offer:-

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach http://www.lib.ru/RBACH/seagullengl.txt

Anyone who has read it knows I think it needs no explanation here as to why I'm listing it.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Oh, yes! I haven't thought of that piece in years.

I had read a lot of Bach's books and found them most readable.

Now, in complete contrast -

The Thirty-nine Steps John Buchan

http://www.bartleby.com/149/

A real classic I think.

Am reading Brave New World (again) just now. Scary to see how much closer to reality it becomes as the years pass.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Am reading Brave New World (again) just now. Scary to see how much closer to reality it becomes as the years pass.
    Fiction becomes Reality? Sure, look at some of the comics of the '50's - Dan Dare etc.

Default lit

You don't know where I could find a source of short stories on the net do you?

Quote Originally Posted by willz320
    You don't know where I could find a source of short stories on the net do you?
    Of what kind - adventure, romance, sci fi, ???
    Any favourite authors?

H.G.Wells and Jules Verne were my first sci-fi writers and it is amazing how much of it is no longer fiction. 1957 I read First Men on the Moon and 12 years later watched the Moon Landing on TV.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Once in a House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth - this beautifully written book is not the usual story of a downtrodden childhood. Try it you will enjoy it. Andrea Ashworth captures moments with her writing that will make you all smile. This is a book i regularly re read and has a charm that will touch you. I have bought more copies of this book than any other cos i keep giving mine away

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    H.G.Wells and Jules Verne were my first sci-fi writers and it is amazing how much of it is no longer fiction. 1957 I read First Men on the Moon and 12 years later watched the Moon Landing on TV.
    Many moons ago, (those days when folk listened to the radio), when Orson Welles did the 'War of the Worlds' thing - he was so so believable, people were convinced. UFO's et al are maybe not just figments of a writers imagination but reality.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    Once in a House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth - this beautifully written book is not the usual story of a downtrodden childhood. Try it you will enjoy it. Andrea Ashworth captures moments with her writing that will make you all smile. This is a book i regularly re read and has a charm that will touch you. I have bought more copies of this book than any other cos i keep giving mine away
    When abouts is the story set?

Its about a girl growing up in manchester in the 70s and 80s. Its Andrea's story - her childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    Its about a girl growing up in manchester in the 70s and 80s. Its Andrea's story - her childhood.
    Tear-jerker? (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter
    Many moons ago, (those days when folk listened to the radio), when Orson Welles did the 'War of the Worlds' thing - he was so so believable, people were convinced. UFO's et al are maybe not just figments of a writers imagination but reality.
    Many years since the word sciencefaction was coined. What is reality, what is dream, all is but a figment of the master dreamer's dream.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Tear-jerker? (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense).
    No its not a tear jerker in the way you would exect. Its funny and witty, insightful and beautifully written.Dont expect Angela's Ashes or A boy called It. This is nothing like those books. Her father died when she was 5 and her mother's disastrous relationships led the family a merry dance but the whole book is a delight, her turn of phrase and the poetic way she writes will make you laugh and give you a feel for the place and time she talks about.

Default Short Stories Online

Of what kind - adventure, romance, sci fi, ???
    Any favourite authors?
    No specification really, something to keep me interested at the office! adventure and action sounds good, but Im open to anything!

No specification really, something to keep me interested at the office! adventure and action sounds good, but Im open to anything!
    Actually, you could do worse than anything by Richard Bach (mentioned earlier) but he's not really a short story writer per se I guess. Have you googled - short stories?

Default Bach

Actually, you could do worse than anything by Richard Bach (mentioned earlier) but he's not really a short story writer per se I guess. Have you googled - short stories?
    I read that peice you mentioned above, very nice! I have googled, but nothing has turned that pickles my fancy really!

Be patient - this might take a while. there's bound to be something out there.

I read that peice you mentioned above, very nice! I have googled, but nothing has turned that pickles my fancy really!
    Read any Graham Greene? Maybe you can get a link out of this -
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?q=Gr...print&ct=title

Of course, instead of reading, you could try writing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast