Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature language

Default Literature language

It's funny, but I am more drawn to what Savemans deleted post was about than the collection of stories and poems posted on this forum. I will get through them but its interesting how little literature means to me. Im like DrSzin. Poetry bounces off me although sometimes when I know the poet I can appreciate the poem. The same probably applies to music. I can appreciate good music but it plays little part of my life.
    Literature though is so important. The unfortunate thing for lots of people is the language of the best literature. I think a person has to be trained to understand it and although some kids grasp it early, a bit like playing an instrument, many dont.
    I never read a book until I was 33. I was lucky it was a cracker and whetted my appetite for reading. It was John Stienbecks Of Mice and Men closely folowed by Cannery Row.
    Hopefully this forum will take off and maybe those of us who struggle to read because of lack of training, will pick up some hints from the boffins.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    It's funny, but I am more drawn to what Savemans deleted post was about than the collection of stories and poems posted on this forum. <snip>

You didn't miss anything.....just a little bit of my creative writing, a bit too gruesome/realistic for some.

I'm surprised that you of all people Gleeber aren't a big reader. Maybe you're more a writer than a reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    You didn't miss anything.....just a little bit of my creative writing, a bit too gruesome/realistic for some.

I'm surprised that you of all people Gleeber aren't a big reader. Maybe you're more a writer than a reader?
    I dunno why your surprised. Many people I am in daily contact with dont read anything other that a tabloid.
    Although I didnt start reading unti I was 33 I made up for lost time since then.
    I still find the language difficult and the most famous poems mean nothing to me. probably with the exception of some of Robbie Burns and Katarinas stuff. Not everyone can pick up a book and read it. It can be hard work.

Saveman, I think its a shame you withdrew your work - had merit and deserved its place on the Board.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

I was most disappointed that you removed this Saveman as I hadn't had time to read it properly and when I returned - there it was gone. Can't believe anyone took exception. Couldn't you try again and ignore any protests?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I dunno why your surprised. Many people I am in daily contact with dont read anything other that a tabloid.
    Although I didnt start reading unti I was 33 I made up for lost time since then.
    I still find the language difficult and the most famous poems mean nothing to me. probably with the exception of some of Robbie Burns and Katarinas stuff. Not everyone can pick up a book and read it. It can be hard work.
    Try reading poetry aloud (first making sure you're alone as you don't want to be carted off). Unlike prose, I can't read poetry silently but hearing the sound of the words makes all the difference even if I don't always understand it.

Now i'm interested. what was it saveman wrote? PM it to me if you don't want to air it publicly.
    And thanks Gleeber, but my poetry is dum- didy-dum stuff, not classed as REAL poetry - just fun.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    Now i'm interested. what was it saveman wrote? PM it to me if you don't want to air it publicly.
    And thanks Gleeber, but my poetry is dum- didy-dum stuff, not classed as REAL poetry - just fun.
    Isn't that what folk thought of Edward Lear's work?

I'll PM extracts if anyone wants to read it.

I dunno why your surprised. <snip>

Only because your posts sound like someone who is well read. No offence intended.

Yes please.

Only because your posts sound like someone who is well read. No offence intended.
    Your PM box needs emptying.

oops....cleared now

Good. Thanks.

Me too please.

... Literature though is so important.
    Hopefully this forum will take off and maybe those of us who struggle to read because of lack of training, will pick up some hints from the boffins.
    I wonder about a book discussion amongst the org's literary interested members. It would mean deciding on a book to which people had easy access and setting a date by which to have it read. Then we could listen to one another in a discussion on the content, style etc. I have no idea if it would work.

Perhaps gleeber has a book he could recommend to get us started.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    I tend to dip into books these days and anything I do read is usually from academic sources, so my choices are limited.
    What I said about difficulty in reading literature was genuine. I cant seem to get past the first couple of pages of a novel although I can read something like Mans Search for Meaning in one night. Now theres a book of hope in the darkest of situations.
    I would welcome the opportunity to get involved but I would prefer to be led on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Try reading poetry aloud (first making sure you're alone as you don't want to be carted off). Unlike prose, I can't read poetry silently but hearing the sound of the words makes all the difference even if I don't always understand it.
    Totally agree. I am not a big fan of poetry anyway, but reading it aloud always makes much more sense.

Me too please.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    I wonder about a book discussion amongst the org's literary interested members. It would mean deciding on a book to which people had easy access and setting a date by which to have it read. Then we could listen to one another in a discussion on the content, style etc. I have no idea if it would work.

Maybe you need a 'chatroom' for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast