Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dead animals on Dunnet Beach

Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)

Default Dead animals on Dunnet Beach

Whilst walking the dogs on Dunnet beach today I passed 6 dead seals, remains of a ?whale and a dead cow. All this was from the burn at Castletown end to the middle burn. Seems rather a lot to me. I take it the cow must have fallen from cliffs somewhere.

I remember getting a talk and tour from a Dunnet forest Ranger? as a child.

They said the beach/bay naturally attracts things brought in from the sea. They've had all sorts washed up over the years, including palm trees!

I assume it's a mixture of the tides and shape/dirction of the bay.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Exclamation

Seems an awful lot of carcases all at once! Are these natural deaths? Especially in the case of the seals and the whale, as this would seem to warrant some investigation.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Well, I did wonder if there was something dead on the beach as driving past the last few days, the smell is horiffic!

Has anyone reported it to the Council I wonder?

You could report the seal deaths to BDMLR as they have an interest in this sort of thing?

As for the cow - if it still has an eartag, then the owner could perhaps be traced?

Hiya yes I reported the carcasses to the enviromental health.The seals were looked at nothing sinister though-luckily! The beach there acts like a funel,and all manner of things wash up on it,and can come from miles away! Good to know people are keeping an eye on things though,as I know not all deaths are natural x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x