Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writers

When Saveman withdrew his item he excercised his right to do so - I see no connection with censorship in that.
    I feel that whatever conditions apply to the 'publishing' of literary work should not be of dual standards but just be appropriate, by which I mean suitable. The opinion of suitability may differ from person to person, but surely we can have an acceptable 'bottom line' a 'common denominator' which does not present the present as totally depraved.
    Canuck wrote -
    "But just as the literature of the day should reflect the decadence, it should also reflect the profound hope that exists within the depravity. That I think is the gift we have to offer to the future. We have the opportunity to express the occasions of hope we see or experience within the day and age in which we live."
    I don't feel it necessary for literature to 'reflect the decadence' unless it also balances it with the good. Hopefully, it will be that good which is carried forward so future generations might think better of us. I don't actually see it as a gift - more a duty or responsibility.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

How, one wonders, would a budding Joyce or De Sade or D.H.Lawrence be received by the Org? Most would consider their works to be unsuitable on this Forum I believe. To the general literary world their work is considered exceptional and quite acceptable. What, then, are the criteria which org literature must fulfil to be considered suitable and who would be the judges.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Perhaps this is something that needs to be worked out with the writers and the administration. My understanding is that this is not to be a section of entertainment, but rather for reflection and critique by fellow writers. Sure some of us might read their stuff, but if we are not writing I am not sure that we have much input as we really are not part of the creative group. I keep refering to myself as an outsider here because I am not a writer. Well, okay the weekly sermon, but none of you want that posted. I will stick to reading books and being part of a discussion on the text we have chosen.

Question: What is this Board for?
    Answer: Literature, 'home-grown and 'imported'.
    Scope: At this point, please look at the Photography and Recipe Boards.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Agreed. I have PMd him, having also received it, and am sorry he felt he had to remove it. Hope we're not going to have censorship by reader.
    I am going to be the devils advocate here, I believe there should be some form of censorship but by the writer, CCWS is not just any old open forum, there are standards to be up held.
    With no form of self censorship we would get a clerical form of anarchy.
    One mans meat is another mans poison, it is the same with all forms of expression, be it literary or musical or dare I say political / religious tastes or persuasions
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

And of course you are right about censorship, by the writer, who's responsibility it is to follow the rules of the Forum.
    I would hope this also makes this part of the Forum more enjoyable and worthwhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12