Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writers

Default Writers

Please join me by adding some of your work. Its kinda lonely on here just now.
    Thanks.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

And you're allowed to comment to! If you like/don't like please say.
    Thanks.

Saveman PMed me his piece. I certainly did not find it offensive or jarring. It was very real but not the least bit sensationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Saveman PMed me his piece. I certainly did not find it offensive or jarring. It was very real but not the least bit sensationalist.
    Agreed. I have PMd him, having also received it, and am sorry he felt he had to remove it. Hope we're not going to have censorship by reader.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Agreed. I have PMd him, having also received it, and am sorry he felt he had to remove it. Hope we're not going to have censorship by reader.
    It will always have to be our own choice to withdraw our own submissions - for whatever reason - but, if we've whetted appetites, it would need to be for a very good reason.

me too. Can't see any reason for removing it. literature should have no bounderies.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    me too. Can't see any reason for removing it. literature should have no bounderies.
    Well there need to be some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter
    Well there need to be some.
    Why.......?
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Why.......?
    You mean you seriously can't think of a reason?

Shall we start with defammatory writing - done to incite hatred or worse?

You mean you seriously can't think of a reason?

Shall we start with defammatory writing - done to incite hatred or worse?
    In principle I have no arguement with your statements but I believe that art has or should have no boundaries. There has to be a balance as in every other aspect of life and we have to make allowances for the ugly as well as the beautiful, the harmony as well the dischord and so on. Even the Bible is full of violence and the Jews are urged to kill many times by the Good Lord, racism rampant therein. Much in this most vaunted of tomes would have to be removed or banned if your beliefs were to hold true.

In principle I have no arguement with your statements but I believe that art has or should have no boundaries. There has to be a balance as in every other aspect of life and we have to make allowances for the ugly as well as the beautiful, the harmony as well the dischord and so on. Even the Bible is full of violence and the Jews are urged to kill many times by the Good Lord, racism rampant therein. Much in this most vaunted of tomes would have to be removed or banned if your beliefs were to hold true.
    And I cannot dispute your comments, though I have to say, what has been written can't be recalled - what has yet to be written, could be done with an improvement in standards rather than dropping them.

And I cannot dispute your comments, though I have to say, what has been written can't be recalled - what has yet to be written, could be done with an improvement in standards rather than dropping them.
    R U talking about standard of literacy or standard of literature lol. Where are the masterpieces of today and will the masterpieces of tomorrow be written in text speak?
    Unfortunately, human standards in all aspects of the arts can only reflect the reality it is created in and human standards, ethically, morally and in every other way are plummeting to depths never before seen. Our decadence will always be represented in our literature and I cannot see either improving.

R U talking about standard of literacy or standard of literature lol. Where are the masterpieces of today and will the masterpieces of tomorrow be written in text speak?
    Unfortunately, human standards in all aspects of the arts can only reflect the reality it is created in and human standards, ethically, morally and in every other way are plummeting to depths never before seen. Our decadence will always be represented in our literature and I cannot see either improving.
    You should write a book Gleber2

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    You should write a book Gleber2
    To boost my ego and supply words for others to argue about, or to record forever the mundanities of my strange life? People tell me I should write my life story but for some reason it doesn't seem right and I have never managed to start it yet.

To boost my ego and supply words for others to argue about, or to record forever the mundanities of my strange life? People tell me I should write my life story but for some reason it doesn't seem right and I have never managed to start it yet.

I suppose a good artist is a motivated artist. Doesn't sound like you feel motivated......yet.

That's it, the perfect birthday gift! Everyone, pens and paper to Gleber2's Lighthouse so that he can begin work on his memoirs.

We've seen how literature (say comics) written as fiction becomes to a degree, reality later on. Accident or whatever - it has happened. My premise is that if we recognise that now, should we not safeguard the future as well as we are able to, by moderating (hmm! should I be using that word?) what we write lest it has detrimental effects on the future? I guess I'm thinking morality, but hopefully more than that. You wrote "Our decadence will always be represented in our literature". That being the case, should we not aspire to better ourselves, even in literature and present a better picture to our descendants? Should we leave a legacy to them that we ourselves can not be proud of?

The subject of ownership springs to mind here for me. One belief (which in principle if not practice) support is that we do not own things during our lifetimes, but merely act as stewards who's job is to maintain and improve so there is something worthwhile to pass on as the heritage.

If I can go to my grave believing I've passed on something worthwhile, decent, and a better reflection on myself and fellow creatures, then my life was not in vain.

(Steps down from soapbox & heads for a caffeine fix!)

We've seen how literature (say comics) written as fiction becomes to a degree, reality later on. Accident or whatever - it has happened. My premise is that if we recognise that now, should we not safeguard the future as well as we are able to, by moderating (hmm! should I be using that word?) what we write lest it has detrimental effects on the future? I guess I'm thinking morality, but hopefully more than that. You wrote "Our decadence will always be represented in our literature". That being the case, should we not aspire to better ourselves, even in literature and present a better picture to our descendants? Should we leave a legacy to them that we ourselves can not be proud of?

The subject of ownership springs to mind here for me. One belief (which in principle if not practice) support is that we do not own things during our lifetimes, but merely act as stewards who's job is to maintain and improve so there is something worthwhile to pass on as the heritage.

If I can go to my grave believing I've passed on something worthwhile, decent, and a better reflection on myself and fellow creatures, then my life was not in vain.

(Steps down from soapbox & heads for a caffeine fix!)
    I now see where you are coming from. If fiction can become true, write good fiction.

And you said it in 8 words! Admirable.

Several issues getting mixed into the soup here.

Initially I think the discussion was around guidelines for literature suitable for caithness.org. I cannot assume, but I would expect that Gleber2 is okay with the notion that all literature is not suitable for all venues.

In a broader framework the suitableness of anything is determined by that society.

As to the decadence of our society, sure literature must reflect that. That does not mean any individual or any group of individuals such as the org need to accept that as something they find helpful or even want to read. This is a volunteer organization, not an enforced confinement.

But just as the literature of the day should reflect the decadence, it should also reflect the profound hope that exists within the context of the depravity. That I think is the gift we have to offer to the future. We have the opportunity to express the occasions of hope we see or experience within the day and age in which we live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast