Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hogmanay (sp?) confusion

Default Hogmanay (sp?) confusion

While round at a friends this afternoon, we got on to the subject of the street party and new years eve in general. What neither of us could get our heads round was the fact that where we moved up from, nearly all the pubs applied for a licence extension for new years eve and stayed open til 1am - why don't they do that here?
    It's seems obvious to my friend and i that not only does 'first footing' seem to be dying out, but also attendance at the street parties, probably due to there being nowhere open for an hour and a half before the bells are due and people are cold and just go home

flame proof knickers and vest in place, give me your thoughts!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

The Newmarket, the Comm and the Grove were all open up to and after the Bells and the Holburn was until 11.30pm, there could have been others not sure.

fair enough, didn't realise they were open, thanks for the info
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

If the tradition ower there is anything like it is ower here, then the pubs would shut early on Hogmanay so that;
    • A: The staff could get off home and have some time to themselves for once
    • B: The customers, of whom there normally wouldn't be that many on that night, could get off to someones house for the bells!

Here in Orkney, there has been a "street party" (ahem) on Broad street since before me great great grandad was a peedie boy. All the folk in the toon that wern't already at someones hoose, would go there, and even a fair lot of country folk.

You can drink till 1 am in the pubs most nights, well, certainly at weekends. Going to folks hooses makes it that bit different!

wetherspoos in wick were open till early in the morning and very busy and wre open on the 1st and had a band playing
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Staff got time for bringing in the bells when I worked in a pub in Leeds.

We used to shut the bar from quarter to till quarter past, was one of the nights most staff wanted to work as drinking in moderation behind the bar was allowed and tips were plentiful.

A lot of pubs down south now charge to get in and up their prices for the night, can't say I enjoyed it last time I was south for New Year, but that would have been over 10 yrs ago.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.