Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grantheftaudio in Skins tonight!

I totally appreciate that. People in Thurso like what they like. As I said before though, people like Skins DJs and to a lesser (or greater?) extent, Caithness FM DJs, are the only people who can help change that.

It is a shame that Skins couldn't be made a two room venue though. I think, personally, it would make it a top venue.

It is a shame. If skins was in a city, I'm sure it'd probably be a top venue(assuming the music was changed).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    As for splitting up and downstairs, its possible, but why split the club in two? Skins is a small town venue. That's that. Its never ever going to be a big Dance venue or a purely rock music venue. Its gotta cater for everyone.
    Ok, I do understand how these things are from a buisness perspective and I understand that people like Brian and the DJs are under constraints.

As for your quote above, you kind of answer your own question. Skins has to cater for everyone. Surely by having two rooms / two types of music, on any given night, it caters for twice the number of people? It's absolutely nothing to do with being a dance venue. Notice when I said splitting it into two rooms I said 'something alternative' in the other. You could have rock, indie, dance, jazz, chill-out, country and western.... Surely this would cater to far more people Jeid?
    Last edited by midi2304; 04-Sep-06 at 20:41.

Skinandis aint built for 2 seperate systems.

The gear we have can do it, its been tried before.

The two floors are not independantly soundproofed enough for the job.

Fusion was acoustically purpose built for the task. Skins is basically a converted cinema.

Whens the supernaturals coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    It is a shame. If skins was in a city, I'm sure it'd probably be a top venue(assuming the music was changed).
    I 100% agree with this. As a venue / building it could be top. Especially with the two rooms idea methinks.

As Kev just said, I meant to mention the systems thing. My bad.

As a slight techie aside, can anyone tell me what the set-up is in Skins?

I'm now used to a pair of CDJ1000s and a pair of 1210s in an Allen and Heath Xone:62. Just wondered what the equipment was like.

I had a talk with frantic about it one night,

The two systems were running using the two DJ desks
    (i just finished writing the whole technical desc. on how this was done but then thought it was a waste of space!!!!)

<<<deleted!!>>>

Anyway, you could hear the upstairs PA through the ceiling of the bottom floor. Very weird. Also any gaps in the music lead to hearing the other floor quite easily.

Also, the lighting rigs would have to be split upstairs/downstairs.
    A new desk and about 100hours of frantic Frantic would be required for this particular miracle.

It would be really cool but hard im afraid.

Maybe at the next renovation?

(i will check what the spec is and post it, i could tell you all the amps, mics, leads, desks, cables and speakers but not the players!!)

Yeah that would be cool. It is a shame that but like I say, I understand buisness constraints so it's prob not cost effective.

Of course you know what else could be the best thing to happen to Skins?

A second nightclub.

Never going to happen, I know, but it would be good for Skins. Would force a change in the way people have to think about things.

The main booth has DN-D6000s (as of last week!!) pretty dam cool!!

and the mixer is a Allen and Heath XONE:464

Anyone want to know the Band PA rig? that ones pretty much off by heart!!

We sell Denon DND6000s at djstore.co.uk. They are ace bits of kit. And so is every Allen and Heath mixer like ever. The only mixer I'd have above that would be a Pioneer DJM800.

Whoever picked the DJ equipment knew what he was doing.

Nah, PAs don't do it for me - I have a DJ equipment fetish

Quit advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    The main booth has DN-D6000s (as of last week!!) pretty dam cool!!

and the mixer is a Allen and Heath XONE:464

Anyone want to know the Band PA rig? that ones pretty much off by heart!!
    I wanna know the band PA specs...

Right (takes big gasp of air)

Microphones (we'll start easy)

4X SM58
    6X SM57
    4X Senheiser 604
    1X Shure Beta 901

24/8 multicore/box

All Van damme, Neutric leads/multicores

Desk/effects

Allen&Heath GL2200
    2X DBX231
    1X DBX Quad Gate
    1X DBX Quad Compressor (cana mind the model no's of these)

(This is getting worse i cant mind what the front of house is like)

FOH

1X DBX DriveRack 6 channel

1X Crown(yes Crown!) 4k approx amp - Bass
    1X Digital amp model? 1k8 - Mid
    1X Digital amp model? 1k8 - High
    2X some other PV amps 1K each - monitors

2X Two channel JBL speakers (think they are 800/600 watts each)

2X 2.4K JBL Angled double 18" cabs

4X 500watt monitors cana mind make!!

Sorry Jeid i kinda screwed up there at the end.

i very rarely see the amp rack (its hidden away) and ive never seen the back of the speakers.

Thats roughly it, this reply will most likely encourage Frantic to engage conversation and correct my in-accuacies.

Preety good Kev... Well remembered

Whoa, havent seen a thread with speals as big as this in a long time, but a very interesting thread indeed

Everyone has made good points, I go to skins, not as much as i used to, but i used to be your typical, thursday, friday, saturday, and even the odd sunday kinda person

Yes, i go in, and i cringe as its STILL the same set list of the cheesiest tunes imaginable played

Yes, if in skins they played dance music, proper dance, not cheesy pop (some people dont know the differance) i would be delighted

like i said before for me it is what a nightclub should play, but at the same time i know that wont work as being the only nightclub in town it isnt like nightclubs down the line

EVERYONE goes to skins, therefore dance music wont work which i believe is a crying shame as it is what nightclubs SHOULD play

As this is the case, we are stuck with the same cheesy pop setlist that has ALWAYS been there, but truth be told, if it was such a major issue, skins would not be packed all the time.

Sayin that however, the main reason skins is packed all the time, It has the latest drinking license in town and its the only place to go at the end of the night, so people wont complain as its the only place

Therefore everyone goes there and Chessy pop tunes work, however, if there was another nightclub in town things might be differant

But until that happens things will stay the same as they are

Ive always wanted to do the whole spin the decks thing, so, i ordered myself a set of decks, ive already got over 100 records of dance tracks from a dj off of ebay (Ebay rocks hahaha)

Um, i know my speal is kinda off the point, well, kinda off, but i love dance music, i love all kinds of music, but oh how i do love my dance

Last edited by Reev; 05-Sep-06 at 00:56.
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Skinandis aint built for 2 seperate systems.

Whens the supernaturals coming up?
    The 12th of never. They split up a few years ago. Im mates with the guy who was playing keyboard with them before they split. Shame really, great bunch of guys

They played in Skins years ago. He never said they were coming up.

Wink

[quote=midi2304;130065]Hmmmmm.... Where's Carol Vorderman to do the maths when you need her?

Probably fronting an add for a profit making debt agency - forgot her calculater that day. You don't need to be a mathematician to know that you are onto a loser there!

Default anyone got A lighter?

man ive lost that lighter again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast