Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: grantheftaudio in Skins tonight!

Grantheftaudio13 Guest

Default grantheftaudio in Skins tonight!

A cracking set of House, Dance and Trance will be on show at Skinandi's tonight.

Get yourself there!

GTA

You know, a lot of DJs bandy about terms like 'house' and 'trance' without a clue what they are talking about.

Having heard you grantheftaudio, why don't you tell me where 'Paris to Berlin' fits in on that masterplan?

And anyway, how can you play house, dance and trance when house and trance are genres of dance? I know I'm being pedantic but the dance music scene is so so bad in Thurso and it just annoys me. So glad to be clear of Skins and it's nonsense. Thank God for the likes of Nastinho up at Liquid.

Oh u cant beat good old xtina 'dirty' and dolly parton '9-5' in skins on a saturday night!

Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    You know, a lot of DJs bandy about terms like 'house' and 'trance' without a clue what they are talking about.

Having heard you grantheftaudio, why don't you tell me where 'Paris to Berlin' fits in on that masterplan?

And anyway, how can you play house, dance and trance when house and trance are genres of dance? I know I'm being pedantic but the dance music scene is so so bad in Thurso and it just annoys me. So glad to be clear of Skins and it's nonsense. Thank God for the likes of Nastinho up at Liquid.
    And just look at the massive crowd of dancers Naill pulls in!!!

Before you critise clubs like Skins, maybe you should do a wee tour of some of the countries biggest clubs (and this does not include the Arches). You may be surprised just how similar the scene is.

If your so desperate for a big Dance scene im sure we could persude Brian to let you run a night in Skins some Sunday. You proivde the entertainment and Dance DJ's, he takes the bar. Lest see how much money you make

I do believe that this belongs to one of you?

Buuuurn!!!

Now , now boys!!

I find this - "My DJ is better than yours" VERY amusing!!.

Never been in Skinandis (hate the name), but aren't these dudes just musical parasites anyway? (as bad a lawyers, estate agents & bankers/money lenders!!).

What musical instrument can thay play? (turntables DON'T count).

O yes - they put on someone elses recordings as if they had something to do with the craft and art of producing/creating/writing it in the first place!! NO, NO, NO - this culture of the DJ is serious flawed.

Yes, the SHEEP (punters) pile in (because there's no other drinking competition in town!!) How many actually come to hear the DJ? (chancer)

Sorry to be so negative, but I've never got this end of the music business at all (almost as bad as rappers - people who can't sing)

All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

The Big Mac can play drums.... says it all really!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    The Big Mac can play drums.... says it all really!
    Cheeky illigitamet child

Deemac, its more to do with the fact that some folk think they are experts in the scene and simply dont have a clue what they are talking about.

These folk tend to be of the "dance is the only style that matters" ilk. Which gets right on my nipples!

Maybe we should get Deemac in for a try on the decks, see how easy he thinks it is keeping a dancefloor full all night ?
    Last edited by the_big_mac; 02-Sep-06 at 09:54.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Cheeky illigitamet child

Deemac, its more to do with the fact that some folk think they are experts in the scene and simply dont have a clue what they are talking about.

These folk tend to be of the "dance is the only style that matters" ilk. Which gets right on my nipples!

Maybe we should get Deemac in for a try on the decks, see how easy he thinks it is keeping a dancefloor full all night ?

feel the love.................

"oh me I play guitar etc etc."

"yeah well I play decks"

kind of gets to me as well

BTW I tried to play decks a couple of times & gave up, not for me

put a record on & leave it, don't touch it again untill it needs turned over (never could work out why half of the CD is blank )

Cheeky illigitamet child

Big Mac,
    Done my stint on the turntables actually (for 6 years with Caithness FM), but it was jazz & fusion music not dance. The criteria was musical depth, interest and sophistication, not four to the floor, 132bpm monotony designed only to send you in a state of mental paralysis!!. (As a sequencer/programmer, I can appreciate some of the programming/sound design skills though).

As for filling dance floors, I also do this most weekends, but at weddings & dances, not discos, playing real musical instruments (drums actually - hence Jeid's little dig!!), live (not pre-recorded). Seems to work quite well (38 gigs on the books this year alone)

I do take your point on the so called experts. All musical areas appear to contain the chancers and the charmers. The rest just get quietly on with it, doing our thing.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

''O yes - they put on someone elses recordings as if they had something to do with the craft and art of producing/creating/writing it in the first place!!''

Now I dont like Dance or whatever were callin' it but in the defence of DJs...Dont they mix tracks. there must be some kinda talent in that.well when its done well

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    ''O yes - they put on someone elses recordings as if they had something to do with the craft and art of producing/creating/writing it in the first place!!''

Now I dont like Dance or whatever were callin' it but in the defence of DJs...Dont they mix tracks. there must be some kinda talent in that.well when its done well

indeed check out anything you can find by St. Germain, especially an album called tourist

DJ jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Big Mac,
    Done my stint on the turntables actually (for 6 years with Caithness FM), but it was jazz & fusion music not dance. The criteria was musical depth, interest and sophistication, not four to the floor, 132bpm monotony designed only to send you in a state of mental paralysis!!. (As a sequencer/programmer, I can appreciate some of the programming/sound design skills though).

As for filling dance floors, I also do this most weekends, but at weddings & dances, not discos, playing real musical instruments (drums actually - hence Jeid's little dig!!), live (not pre-recorded). Seems to work quite well (38 gigs on the books this year alone)

I do take your point on the so called experts. All musical areas appear to contain the chancers and the charmers. The rest just get quietly on with it, doing our thing.
    Deemac, In my defence, i dont play all that much in the way of Dance (all varieties). Probably about 80mins worth in a 3 hour set. Being a bit of a metal head im always trying to push different styles into my sets. That and real hip hop. And im not talking about 50 cent!

My argument was with the guy who tried to tell us that dance is the only way forward for clubs and such. Their are a lot of good real dance fans in town. Most of whom are glad with the current set up. In skins we HAVE to cater for all tastes and I think between the four of us we manage to do that in our own idividual ways quite well.

And yes, there is some degree in skill with mixing. However when you've been playing drums for 15 years it makes life much easier!

Deemac, In my defence, i dont play all that much in the way of Dance (all varieties). Probably about 80mins worth in a 3 hour set. Being a bit of a metal head im always trying to push different styles into my sets. That and real hip hop. And im not talking about 50 cent!

My argument was with the guy who tried to tell us that dance is the only way forward for clubs and such. Their are a lot of good real dance fans in town. Most of whom are glad with the current set up. In skins we HAVE to cater for all tastes and I think between the four of us we manage to do that in our own idividual ways quite well.

And yes, there is some degree in skill with mixing. However when you've been playing drums for 15 years it makes life much easier!
    only 15 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    only 15 years....

Not all of us had a kit from the age of three

My opinion:

There are forms of dance music which Are actually creative and have had as much thought put into them as any other form of music.

The argument in this Thread is a little squewed.

The problem nowadays is whats popular, its like everything else. (TV, film, gone to hell, on or two gems pop up everyso often but theres a lot of crap). If it sells, they make it.

There was a time where music only really existed in pubs in the form of a jukebox or live entertainment. Since recorded music came in, Live (small and large scale) has declined. When people can hear it as much as they want, whenever they want it becomes less of a novelty hence less desire to see live.

So people are getting de-sensitised to the thrill of music having heard it the whole time (one idea).

Another point (hear me out on this one), Certain things in songs (chorus lines, guitar/drum/bass/vocal solos for example) can arguably be seen as the most excitable part of a song for the crowd. You guys have all played on stage, you know what i mean. Writing/creating songs which would take advantage of this (be it un-artistic) would tend to make joe blogs (stoopid public) want to hear it more.

Some people make quite crowd pleasing songs deliberatly. others make songs directly for this purpose. Unfortunately, it is very easy (comparable to other music forms) to make dance tunes. so a lot of dance is just big brash noise and beats!!

Every genre of music has its naff artists/songs but with dance at the moment its getting pushed by heavy marketing and its also easy to make really fast: a track for a five piece band will take a day (Isaac speed!!) in an expensive studio but a dance track (all samples, some are nowadays!!) could be produced from an old pc in a spotty teenagers room for no money at all.

Anybody hearing the point im making here?

The music which it popular nowadays is, in general, a bag of crap.

There Is good music in all genres, but there is also non-music in all genres. Popularity and marketing are evil tools guys.

Ok, I think I may have been misunderstood here.

I DJed in Liquid along with Niall (I'm Dave Whitelaw in case you hadn't guessed) and I now DJ professionally in Aberdeen and work as a consultant for website www.djstore.co.uk (get a wee plug in there).

I consider myself a 'harder' DJ but I have total respect for DJs who do your kind of thing on a Saturday night. I know very well that you need nights like a Saturday night in Skins with plenty of cheese and I'd go so far to say that on occaision I really like it.

What I DON'T like, is when you have DJs advertising a 'dance' night when the set list is essentially the same as a Saturday night.

And as for no skills in DJing? You try mixing. If you can listen to two songs at once and beat match you have a talent. I'd love to play guitar and I wouldn't compare the two but dismissing DJs because they can't play instruments is severely warped.

As a wee aside by the way, I love ALL genres of music. I seen Beck and Radiohead last week and was at T in the Park where I didn't go to the Slam tent. Some people need to open there eys a wee bit more and stop being so narrow minded. Then again, that's Caithness for you.

Hmmmmmmm

now, i love my music, but i also love all that trance, and dance stuff, cal me a freak if you will

but my opinion of a night club, is you go in and your gonna dance the night away, get drunk, maybe pull

but for me youve gotta here all that gatecraher, clubbers guide stuff, for me, a nightclub aint a nightclub if it doesnt play that, hhhmmm, sometimes skins is a nightclub, other times its js a pop convention, so, sadly we dont have that here either then, the gaTECRASHER, CLUBBERS GUIDE STUFF

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Heh, i just read last post, slightly off the subjest eh. part of an energy drink trip probably(bought 24 25p cans from lidl)

Im not stressing off DJs by any means, would be silly of me to do so. But mixing is a one man job, and its easier (in the grand scale of things) for one man (or woman!!) to learn to mix than to get 3,4 or more people to play in a band.

P.S. i do try mixing, maybe try being the operative word but still. im also learning to play an instrument. as per my experience i find it harder and more time consuming to learn the instrument.

To make a point of the thread, Liquid does have it pinned for what a lot of people up here have called dance, which is fine, skinandis goes for the wider audience. if we just played one kind of music all night we would get complaints. And i dont think its really right to be the biggest club in a town and not play a wide(er) selection of music. Save spamming people with 2 and a half hours of music people may not like.

Give me that handbag Jeid!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast