Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Car on fire in tescos car park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=ashaw1;803838] Can you believe what would have happened if a member of staff had announced " oh by the way there is a car on fire in the middle of the car park, can the owner of ...... please come to customer services" over the tannoy. The whole shop would have been in uproar.

I was there and have to say that the situation was dealt with to the best of anyone's ability, i mean it's not exactly something that you see or train for every day!

There was no one anywhere near any of the vehicles and it was one of those situations where you just stand and watch because you can't quite believe what you are seeing. But in my opinion no one would have done anything differently if put in that position.

Good on Tesco staff for dealing with a very difficult situation!

[/QUOTE
    being that it was our dog that was in the audi [poor kell]the car was locked while family shopped tescos staff were brilliant they took them an the dog in,took them for tea an then helped them load there shopping into the car went back to return the lead kell had been given and he got it as a present they were making all different arrangments for all those who were not so fortunate WELL DONE TESCOS AND THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    the daughter of the man whos car exploded stays with me and she has just had a call from her dad asking me to update this to say nobody has been hurt in the explosion or fire. a great big thank you to the services.
    [QUOTE=Tighsonas4;803866]
    Quote Originally Posted by ashaw1 View Post

[/QUOTE
    being that it was our dog that was in the audi [poor kell]the car was locked while family shopped tescos staff were brilliant they took them an the dog in,took them for tea an then helped them load there shopping into the car went back to return the lead kell had been given and he got it as a present they were making all different arrangments for all those who were not so fortunate WELL DONE TESCOS AND THANKS

Really glad that no one was hurt and that Kell is okay and how kind of Tesco to give the lead as a gift.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Carasmam - I didn't think the Fire Brigade arrived that quickly. I was starting to get my shopping on the checkout belt,when the smoke was noticed. I then paid and packed £50 of goods, plus discussing situation with checkout operator, which was slower than normal. I then dawdled slowly down to the magazines, bought one, blethered to a few people, then stood in foyer as not allowed outside. It was a few minutes later that the fire brigade arrived - a bit longer than 4 mins I think! I am not slagging the fire brigade as they do a good job, but I was just surprised at how long they took. Thankfully no-one was hurt, which is the most important factor.

Default Fire brigade response

The main point here is that the brigade dealt with this incident safely and as quickly as they could. One thing I'll say is that to get this incident they have to come out of Martha Terrace, up River Street, down Bridge Street and then up High Street. This would involve going through a set of traffic lights which if they are at red they can only go through at the appliance drivers own risk. Also being retained they have to make their way to the station from their place of work or home before turning out in the appliances.

Rainbow maybe if YOU had phoned the fire service (as you may have been first to see the fire) they may have had the chance to arrive quicker but it is impossible for them to go to a fire until they know about it. Knowing some of the fire personel in wick I belive as Carasman says it would be 4mins and as a response that is fantastic and should be commended. There is nothing worse than people who do not have a clue, commenting on and slagging of people who are probably the best at what they do. WELL DONE WICK FIRE SERVICE.

Hi, I was the unlucky owner of the 406 that started all this. It concerns me that after a crisis such as this people have to start the blame game. I had popped into Tesco for 10 mins ans had been using the car for the best part of the morning. What started underneath the bonnet I have no idea but in my eyes the POLICE were excellent. The FIRE SERVICE was excellent. THE TESCO staff was excellent, especially Stuart the Manager. Everybody involved in this situation were SUPERB and I wish I could pat everybody on the back and offer them my sincere thanks. I will confess I am still shaking a wee bit at the thought that it could have been far, far worse. Add onto that my wife was extremelly distressed at home, wondering, untill she new the full story. So please, my thoughts and thanks to all Services & Staff who were involved and let the Services do their jobs, brilliantly, without criticism.

having not posted on org for some time,I would like to agree with your post on emergency services,as they do there best,and still get criticised,hope
    you and wife get over shock,it could be anyone who has to phone 999.and be thankful,

Default Just to add....

Any of the emergency services would rather have multiple calls from concerned members of the public about an incident rather than never getting a call cause everybody thinks that somebody else has done it

Oh dear a Peugeot 406, and not the first one to self ignite, this used to be a common problem on the 406, something to do with multiplex wiring for the radiator fan and water getting into the electrical connector causing a electrical short circuit and fire. A few years ago my neighbours hired 406 self ignited in his driveway. This problem with the 406 was highlighted on the TV programme Watchdog a few years ago.

Glad to know that everyone is ok; must have been an awful time for you especially knowing the dog was in the car.

And well done to Carasmam for phoning as soon as she saw it; can't believe how many people stood and watched but didn't alert the emergency services!

I notice a previous poster calmly went on with their shopping instead of dialling 999! As someone else said what on earth does it matter if twenty people called; better that than presume someone else was doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Glad to know that everyone is ok; must have been an awful time for you especially knowing the dog was in the car.

And well done to Carasmam for phoning as soon as she saw it; can't believe how many people stood and watched but didn't alert the emergency services!

I notice a previous poster calmly went on with their shopping instead of dialling 999! As someone else said what on earth does it matter if twenty people called; better that than presume someone else was doing it!

Not everyone has mobile phones though! I do but didn't have as only nipped too tescos

I will be honest I wanted too get the heck outta there! I'm a wuss!
    I was scared the whole thing was gonna go

Driving home I heard the nee naws so knew help on it's way

So glad nobody hurt and kell got a pressie!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Carasmam - I didn't think the Fire Brigade arrived that quickly. I was starting to get my shopping on the checkout belt,when the smoke was noticed. I then paid and packed £50 of goods, plus discussing situation with checkout operator, which was slower than normal. I then dawdled slowly down to the magazines, bought one, blethered to a few people, then stood in foyer as not allowed outside. It was a few minutes later that the fire brigade arrived - a bit longer than 4 mins I think! I am not slagging the fire brigade as they do a good job, but I was just surprised at how long they took. Thankfully no-one was hurt, which is the most important factor.
    Thats what is wrong - everyone thinks someone else must have phoned !! I called when I saw it, fully expecting them to be aware as the flames had got a fair hold. Since I am a bit sad that way I timed them after my call was logged so it was 4 minutes !!

Really glad no-one was hurt and hope Kell is none the worse of his adventure
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do