Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Tyre socks

Default Tyre socks

I've had quite a few PM's asking what we thought of our 'Tyre Socks' (these are not chains, but a kind of fabric 'showercap' that fits over the driving wheels).
    We've just done 24 miles constantly on snow/ice roads, from a inch deep to about 8 inches, Mrs Bek's (who drove) initial comment was; "Excellent!"..
    Started off from our place in really deep virgin snow; no problem whatsoever, onto a single track road, with a steep hill - where last year we very nearly lost the car (1.6 ton V70) when she slid into a ditch there. Took this easily in it's stride, no slipping/sliding whatsoever. Down a steep narrow hill and around a 90 degree bend, no problem. Initially Mrs Beks drove at about 20 mph, until grew confident and undertook the rest at the recommended 30 mph. The A836 is still snow encrusted, with thick ice in parts, but crossing over these icy stretches caused no problems.

Up Drumholliston, perfect grip - although saw a 4 x 4 coming out of a side road, skidding all over the place.. and down into Reay, doing 30mph now.. through Reay and along the 'back road' to Thurso.. Our friends place is up a long straight single-track road, deep in snow.. no problems, although when we turned off the side road and up and over the 'frozen hump' onto the farm track, the back (non-driving) wheel slipped a bit, but the 'Trye Socks' front drive wheels caused no worry..
    So all in all would fully recommend them.. Mrs Beks put them on in about five minutes.. we got our from here:
    http://www.barland.co.uk/snowsock.html If you want to see how they perform, google tyre socks youtube
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

They are good, but from what I understand from them being shown on BBC quite recently, they're not ment to be used driving on roads constantly but rather to get you going when you can't get out of your parking space etc.

With the winter here being very similar to that on the continent, snow chains are the option for driving on inches of snow / ice when you need to get to wherever you need to go.

Appears a good tried and tested invention - Went on Barland's website, all sizes of sock sold out, unsurprisingly
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by Tatbabe View Post
    They are good, but from what I understand from them being shown on BBC quite recently, they're not ment to be used driving on roads constantly but rather to get you going when you can't get out of your parking space etc.

With the winter here being very similar to that on the continent, snow chains are the option for driving on inches of snow / ice when you need to get to wherever you need to go.
    As long as you are on snow and not black tarmac, they are fine for driving, otherwise you'd be putting 'em on and taking them off all the time.. -we are not out driving constantly, just a journey occasionally..

Bit of an update.. Just done a return trip using the 'socks' - again no problems whatsoever, a few of the hills we drove up were still badly iced, and could see the skid marks and the locations where vehicles had experienced wheel spin shortly before - we experienced no difficulty. Having to keep to about 30 mph (the recommended speed) we had, on occasions, 4 x 4's up our bums - that was until we hit steep inclines with ice and snow, and it was really quite satisfying to watch as these 4 x 4's faded backwards as we powered up the hill..
    So, that's about 50 miles in quite bad conditions, and not one skid, or deviation - apart from when going over the mounds of ice pushed to the side by snow-ploughs which partially blocked the side rods we entered, and in that instance it was not the front wheels with the socks that slid, but the back ones as they slipped over the hump.. all in all very pleased with 'em

If i remember rightly, they're OK on tarmac up to 30mph. But they'll wear out quicker the more tarmac you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    If i remember rightly, they're OK on tarmac up to 30mph. But they'll wear out quicker the more tarmac you're on.
    Mrs Beks did well - the tarmac was beginning to show through in places, but she kept to the snow and was quite happy - on the long straight roads - to do 30 MPH.. I expect we may not use 'em again for a bit, that's IF this thaw happens.. (where are the winks and smily faces on this new set-up?)

Wish I had gotten some, heading to Newcastle tomorrow and snow forcast at bottom of Scotland and top of Englandshire.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Wish I had gotten some, heading to Newcastle tomorrow and snow forcast at bottom of Scotland and top of Englandshire.
    Got friends in Gateshead (who went down from Caithness for Crimbo break) - looks lkie they are going to get hammered with the snow on Tuesday, they reckon..

So long as I can get home on Thursday I will be happy.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.