Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Have You Been Doing Your Xmas Shopping???

Default Where Have You Been Doing Your Xmas Shopping???

I'm not going to lie here, I've done some of my shopping online. I bought a rare book from the states, my Mrs. has bought some items of clothing, & we've bought some things that we simply couldn't get locally.

However, realistically, I'd say in all honestly that around 97.5% of our Xmas Shopping has been bought in Thurso. We understand the importance & logic of shopping in our community, so therefore (regardless of price) we go to the extra effort of supporting our shops & our community.

What is your view? Do you support your shops? Or do you shop in chain supermarkets or online?

I decide what I want to buy a person for their Christmas. Then I search for the best value I can get whether it be on the Internet, in a Supermarket or in a Local shop. 99% of the time it is not in a local shop as they are just too expensive for me.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

i follow the sales.........
    so up here (all shops!)
    inverness and aberdeen this year.
    and i can honestly say i haven't bought 1 thing online!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Im pretty much the same as Mr K. Also the "gadgets" that me and my hubby get for each other are not available locally, probably cant be bought as far as Ness. So its online.

I will say about 97% of our christmas shopping was online. Mainly because yes....its alot cheaper!

There is not really a large range of toys available for kids. The oldest 2 love lego and pretty much have all the lego thurso could give Also got them a new tv which we actually got from Argos in Wick.

Play.com is one of our favourite sites for getting things. They have a wide range of things. Babies - Adults. Dvds, CDs, games, toys, clothing etc etc...its endless! Love it
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Did all mine locally but then I don't have many to get and all those I did buy for had easy requests.
    All were purchased and posted/packaged a few weeks ago so the extreme weather has not caused any problems either.

a mix of both.. locally and online.
    http://itqueries.com/

We went "home" to England in October, and did most of ours there. ELC/HMV/Primark/M&S etc. The rest was Amazon or Tesco Wick/Tesco Direct.

The crunch for me was that I had saved with Park Hampers all year and had £350 of High Street Vouchers (I lived in England when I started saving with them) and due to moving, other than Homebase and Argos, there wasnt anywhere to spend them here.

Next year, Im hoping to buy more locally but it will of course depend on what the kids want!
    We child proofed the house..... but they keep getting in!

This year I finally managed to get on and make most of my presents - well, nearly - two are still works in progress 1 day left to finish off! Aside from that I have shopped at Amazon and in the local Wick shops. I love the new factory shop, I can see I will be spending a lot of time in there!!!!

tesco, amazon and argos, mainly as we're both working full time and i never seem to organise time to get down the street.

All online - HATE shopping in shops at this time of year, may cause harm to others if they even try to nudge me out of the way!!!....Much safer online!!

All my shopping has been done locally, Thurso and Wick can't be bothered going to Inverness. By the time I get there I am shattered and shopping up here I know where I can get what I want. Like Liz all my shopping was posted before the bad weather and everything has reached its destination Thank you Royal Mail

I did a wee bit up here in the shops.
    I did a lot in toys r us while away..
    Bought stuff I couldnt find elsewhere online and wished I never!(delivery nightmares)
    As for food shopping I got a farm chicken straight from the farm, bacon, chipolatas and stuffing from the butchers, veg from lidls and tescos and wine online.
    I also bought some small bits and pieces from the craft fayre that was on in the castletown heritage centre!

I start my Christmas shopping in January. No, I'm not a cheapskate looking for 'sale' items. If I see nice things throughout the year, especially when on holiday, that's when I buy them. The main advantage is that I don't have to rush around while everyone else is, and don't run up debts because of buying everything at the same time!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

I buy nice bits and pieces throughout the year too.
    But by the time Christmas comes round I suddenly realise I have used all the gifts up for birthday pressies
    Especially the kids stuff for random parties!

Apart from a FABULOUS Christmas selection from Caithness Smokehouse (arrived at my brother's house in Hertfordshire yesterday and they're over the moon, thank you so much - will come and pay for it ASAP!), all done online this year.

Dont do Christmas shopping, the wife does it all. Saying that though, she never unblocks any drains.

My christmas shopping usually works like this;

In the months preceeding Christmas, I will see a things in local shops and buy it there and then. I don't look to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere else. If I like it, I buy it!

However, when the date draws near, I am usually given an list of gifts to buy, so I proceed to Amazon, which usually gives good, reliable value, and it's a one stop shop, so less hassle for me, and no traipsing gurning bairns round the shops!

Honestly tho, I probably only spend about 10% at local shops compared to about 90% either online or at large retailers (i.e. tesco)!

However, if all the local shops had websites (some might already), then I would be very tempted to buy online from them, and pick up from their shop premises. Maybe next year?!

About 20% online, then me and the wife will hit the shops on Black Friday at 4:00am. Shops we hit this year have been -

Walmart
    Target
    Gamestop
    Macy's
    JC Penney
    Sears
    Best Buy
    Lowe's
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Up the street in Kirkwall, between 2pm and half past 3 this afternoon. Sorted.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by .D. View Post
    I'm not going to lie here, I've done some of my shopping online. I bought a rare book from the states, my Mrs. has bought some items of clothing, & we've bought some things that we simply couldn't get locally.

However, realistically, I'd say in all honestly that around 97.5% of our Xmas Shopping has been bought in Thurso. We understand the importance & logic of shopping in our community, so therefore (regardless of price) we go to the extra effort of supporting our shops & our community.

What is your view? Do you support your shops? Or do you shop in chain supermarkets or online?
    Not everyone can afford your regardless of price attitude.People struggling to make ends meet have to take the cheapest option available to them but no doubt would love to be in a position such as yours,hopefully they wouldnt feel the need to be so patronising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast