Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Venison / Roe Deer

Default Venison / Roe Deer

Hi,
    Recently bought a whole Roe Deer and looking for suggestions for marinade / sauce / cooking etc.
    Had planned slow roasting the legs but not sure what I should throw in with it.
    Also any suggestions for the steaks??

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Hi,
    Recently bought a whole Roe Deer and looking for suggestions for marinade / sauce / cooking etc.
    Had planned slow roasting the legs but not sure what I should throw in with it.
    Also any suggestions for the steaks??

Cheers

http://www.seriouslygoodvenison.co.u...pe_archive.php

Cook it like coq au vin ish.
    Brown whatever meat you choose.
    Bacon onions fried off, add bit of flour to cook thro then red wine. Cook til tender then thicken slightly with butter and flour (nice but fattening and bit fiddly) or cornflour and water. Herbs like thyme would be good in this too. I like to cook mushrooms separately in a bit of butter then add them at the end.

Yummy

it's quite nice cooked with red wine for a few hours.

I have a neighbour who raises meat goats and he passed on this method for a roast - I've only tried it with small ones. You just coat the whole thing with salt, I just used regular table salt, and cook it really low for several hours. I do mine around 250 deg F. It comes out so tender and not salty at all. Must hold the juices in or something- the kids absolutely love it! Haven't tried it on goat tho...think I'll skip that one.

Where can it be bought locally in Caithness as i'd like some for around christmas time, thanks. G
    People who think they know it all....are especially annoying to those of us that do.