Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help please

Default Help please

I wonder if I could pick your accumulative brains here. Is it possible that I had a Raven in my garden on Friday? I have seen them before but not so close.

This bird was way too big for a Crow (I think), and its bill was very large, totally black and unusual in shape. Had a look in the "Collins" book and it certainly looked like Raven. I have Crows/jackdaws almost daily so I am pretty familiar with them.

I just thought that it may be because of the very harsh conditions at the moment that birds are maybe having to take their opportunities.

As I was just typing I have had three juvenile gulls in the garden and on the table...........revise that four to TEN gulls as of now. I've not seen them in the garden before either!

Quote Originally Posted by highland red View Post
    I wonder if I could pick your accumulative brains here. Is it possible that I had a Raven in my garden on Friday? I have seen them before but not so close.

This bird was way too big for a Crow (I think), and its bill was very large, totally black and unusual in shape. Had a look in the "Collins" book and it certainly looked like Raven. I have Crows/jackdaws almost daily so I am pretty familiar with them.

I just thought that it may be because of the very harsh conditions at the moment that birds are maybe having to take their opportunities.

As I was just typing I have had three juvenile gulls in the garden and on the table...........revise that four to TEN gulls as of now. I've not seen them in the garden before either!
    No reason why you couldn't have a Raven, with the harsh weather we're having just now they'll need to look for food in places they would normally avoid.

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    No reason why you couldn't have a Raven, with the harsh weather we're having just now they'll need to look for food in places they would normally avoid.

nirofo.
    Thanks for the help, I just didn't want to look a bit stupid with an assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf1961 View Post
    It looks similar: but the bill was all black and very large compared to the illustration.