Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: watch your home tv on your laptop abroad.

Default watch your home tv on your laptop abroad.

a friend of mine once told me that their partner who works offshore abroad, can watch on his pc, the tv programes she is watching at home.
    he has something he connects to the home tv and another thing he connects to his laptop so whatever is being watched at home is watchable on his laptop at the same time.
    unfortunately i'm unable to find out more on this product.
    does anyone know what it is?
    or where i can buy it?
    thanks.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    a friend of mine once told me that their partner who works offshore abroad, can watch on his pc, the tv programes she is watching at home.
    he has something he connects to the home tv and another thing he connects to his laptop so whatever is being watched at home is watchable on his laptop at the same time.
    unfortunately i'm unable to find out more on this product.
    does anyone know what it is?
    or where i can buy it?
    thanks.
    Slingbox (or alternatives), see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

I have no personal experience of the Slingbox or any alternatives so do not take this as a recommendation. Also take due account of the amount of data you would be producing: if your broadband account at home has limits on the amount of data this could cause problems.

Other alternatives are to use services like BBC iPlayer. If your broadband is not in the UK you would need to get a UK proxy server.