Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabled Parking

The real problem is that in supermarket car parks the disabled bays rely on the common courtesy of other shoppers, it is not actually a legal thing. It is a sad reflection on todays society where people blatantly ignore the needs of the diasabled just because they cannot be bothered to walk the length of themselves!

If I abuse the use of my "Disabled Blue Badge" I can be fined up to £2000. Lets see where these ignorant people park when they have to fork out that sort of money for being lazy sods.

I thank you!!

gooner Guest

hi all,
    the police don't do an awful lot (this I know from experience), the disabled parking up at the carpark at naver is generally blocked when there is football on. You would think that if folk are going up there to play football they would be kinda fit? So you would think that they would walk the lengths of themselves, instead they park in the disabled areas,( the yellow Jordan Honda is good at this), across both disabled bays on occasion, and also in the entrance to the car park - the other week there was parked a big C Steven joiners van stopping anyone coming in or leaving the carpark, let alone use the disabled bays, no one could even drive across the pavement to leave due to the fact that that had cars parked on it all the way along the street. I see a disabled lady walking along there, hard to maneuver round them all, like i said in another forum, I hope that these inconsiderate people may have the misfortune to have to genuinely use these areas sometime, and see how they get on then. I see Pat Grant regularly parked in the disabled area at Safeways/Morrisons too. On yersel Pat.
    Car parks, yeh, agree, I look to see if the cars parked in the disabled bays are displaying the disabled stickers, not that i drive, but I have a disabled brother and brother in law so I am aware of the inconsiderate, lazy, ignorant fools that do abuse the parking spaces, such as the big AJG parcel van which was parked, not only in the disabled bays, but over the pavement as well at Safeways/Morrisons tonight. Give me the stickers and I will gladly stick them on these idiots windows. Weigh Inn seem to have a problem with vans parking in the disabled bays as well, even though there is a huge space to the left of their site which people could park in.

gooner Guest

Well, just back a walk from Pennyland area, and walking past Dale Rd, there I saw a hairy legged shorts wearing guy leave his car parked in the disabled bay there, even though the car park was practically empty. Nice one Mr Red Ford Mondeo, T39 AGJ. You astound me with your consideration and thoughtfulness. Not.

gooner Guest

Was just over a wander to Safeways/Morrisons, as I had a pen on me, I thought i would be an anorak and note downt he non disabled badged cars parking in the disabled bays...silver Citroen R148 JGB and metallic greeny Peugeot 307 - SY04 XX2, regardless of there being quite a few parking spaces throughout the carpark.

Default disabled car badges

It is wrong to judge if people are disabled or not by their appearance. Many people with disabled badges on their cars ARE disabled though they may not look it and are unable to walk far. They could have serious heart problems, be on kidney dialysis, have terminal cancer and yet look perfectly fit and healthy.
    I do not think it is easy to abuse the blue car badge system. People have to be checked out thoroughly medically. The badges are not easy to come by, and I know of people who should have one but cannot get one.
    I do object to the diabled persons partner driving the car without the disabled person in the car, this is illegal and I see it done often.
    So dont judge a person as abusing the system because they have a disabled badge yet are young, look fit and healthy, that person coulkd be dying.

gooner Guest

I agree with a lot you are saying and especially if the disabled badge is being abused but the person abusing this can be prosecuted. But then how do you differentiate because as you say the disablity may not be obvious so maybe they are entitled to use the disabled bays. The people I have seen looking young fit and healthy are up playing football, which is more than I could do and I AM able bodied. Not a sign that someone is dying if they can go up and kick a ball about a field for a good while??? And if they can do this, then surely parking in a regular parking spot would not be too much of an inconvenience. A lot of it is down to pure laziness though, I amn't arguing with the people who have a genuine need to use these bays, and if I seen anyone I recognised abusing this disabled badge, then I would have no hesitation in saying something about that either (and have done!). The point I am trying to make is the fact that there are a lot of drivers who DO abuse the disabled facilities - and if they are in such a poor health condition then they should have a disabled badge to display.Don't the people requiring the disabled badge need it signed off from the doctor? If they need a disabled badge but find it hard to get one then that is an issue they would have to take up with their doctor then. I know it is not all that easy to see if a person is disabled. Maybe by this being highlighted, you never know, maybe it will make some of the real culprits think twice before they go ahead and park because no one else seems to do anything about it.
    So yersel.

I think the point that Gooner is trying to make is that perfectly able bodied persons are using disabled bays as a convenience instead of using the normal bays that are located further from the shop door.

From reading his/her messages, it appears that Gooner does not have a problem with those with obvious or unobvious disabilities, just a problem with those who are inconsiderate to those with a genuine need.

On yersel Gooner , as long as you are sure they are able bodied, I'd say keep naming and shaming!

Keep on naming and shaming . But if they are abusing the disabled spaces they are probally not bothered about getting named on here..

Does anyone know what the actual rules are? My wife thinks that an able bodied person is allowed to use and drive a car displaying a badge if they are going to the shops (using the disabled parking spots) for the disabled person, even if the disabled person is not with them. Is this right?
    I dont think it is but she says she has been reliably informed that it is. Even though she herself thinks it is morally wrong even if it is allowed.

According to the Scottish Parliament website...

Disabled people can apply for parking permits under the Blue Badge Scheme. The responsibility for the Blue Badge Scheme is devolved and is operated by local authorities. It permits disabled people to park, for example, without paying on streets with parking meters, on some double yellow lines, and in spaces on the street marked for disabled people. Under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984, it is an offence if a person parks in a designated disabled parking space, without a blue badge, and they will be liable to a fine of up to £1,000.

But...

Owners of private car parks can designate parking spaces for disabled people at their own discretion. However, owners may be held to account under the Part III of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (as amended).

Off-street car parks are private property and charges and conditions of use are a contractual matter between the owner and the motorist. In these car parks, spaces marked for disabled drivers only are in most cases not legally enforceable, but depend on the courtesy and providing research and information services to the Scottish Parliament 3 consideration of other drivers.

Car park operators could ask a non-disabled motorist to move their car from a space set aside for disabled people but they might not be in a position to insist upon it. Designated bays are provided in off-street car parks operated by local authorities under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. It is for the individual local authorities whether or not a parking charge is levied.

And...

If, for example, supermarkets do not monitor whether the service is accessible to disabled customers, not only by providing parking spaces but by ensuring they are not used by other able-bodied customers, then it is possible for a disabled person to make a claim against the supermarket under Part III of the DDA.

Well researched posting Amethyst! Touchy subject this as there always seems to be a bit of jealousy involved but I do know that now the blue badge scheme requires a photo of the disabled person on the back of the badge and the badge must be displayed on the windscreen and should not be lying on the dashboard. The use of the badge is only valid if the disabled person is actually in the car - he/she can be identified by the photo on the back of the badge.

All this is of course probably more relevant in bigger towns with traffic wardens/blue meanies etc but as far as I know there is no circumstance where someone with a blue badge is entitled to park on double yellow lines.

Who mentioned double yellow lines? I think the double yellow lines should be observed by all, even the colourblind.

I didn't know, girniegoe, that blue badges should not be displayed on the dashboard.

Relevance in bigger towns shouldn't even be mentioned, the thing is, it's happening... here... there.... everywhere. Selfish people, not thinking of their actions.

I've been watching a fair bit o' TV lately Suggestions have been made that we are now a non-caring country as a whole. The whole disabled parking issue is another part of it.

Amethyst,
    you have hit the nail on the head!!!! We have become a non caring Nation, I see it every day in the big city.
    The selfish attitude of most people I put down to the "Gimme Gimme" society that we now live in.
    But I care so there is hope.

Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

gooner Guest

Someone with the badge can park on double lines, if again, the badge holder, ie, the registered disabled person, is present.
    Incidentally, thank you to the kind driver of the Petrie Decorators van who used the disabled bay, even though there was a near enough empty car park last night, in order for them to go and play football up at Naver. You are right too though, naming and shaming probably won't make a difference to these ignorant individuals, but then, maybe they aren't very good at reading by the time they can't figure out the road signs either.

First of all re "yellow lines" Amethyst this is quoted from your post of 20 Oct
    It permits disabled people to park, for example, without paying on streets with parking meters, on some double yellow lines, and in spaces on the street marked for disabled people
    so I wasn't trying to be awkward but have never heard of anyone being permitted to park on double yellow lines.- believe me I am in total agreement with your viewpoint.

Second re displaying blue badge, can assure you that while in Edinburgh we fell foul of a traffic warden for not having the badge stuck on the windscreen - it is required there so I would imagine that applies everywhere else - reason given is that it must be clearly visible from the pavement (by the traffic wardens?), also had to pay fine for parking on a single yellow line outwith permitted hours i.e. it was peak traffic time and have to admit that there was a notice further along street stating permitted times for disable parking!.

It is certainly a "man mind thyself" attitude that is prevalent nowadays in all matters - present company excepted of course!!
    [/quote]

Girniegoe, the answer to Edinburgh and other cities with similar attitudes is to translate the "Welcome to the City of Wherever" signs to read the correct message, "Your trade is not wanted here. Go away!".

I avoid them like the plague, they are nothing but an abuse of good land and need bulldozing into oblivion. They serve no useful purpose whatsoever other than to leave plenty of space for the rest of humanity to live civilised lives.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12