Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: steak??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default steak??

anyone got any nice ideas for a sauce to put over steak?

thanks

green pepper sauce, lovely and light and refreshing too.

Bung some black pepper in a frying pan over a med heat with some whiskey, when the alcohol has burned off add double cream and let it thicken a bit!
    Easy!

Sounds like you're overcooking your steak if you need to smother it in sauce to give it some flavour!

Steak cooking chart

Default steak

I have tried lots of times to cook a steak without sucsess. Where do I get best and kind and how do you cook it. Mine always turns out tough even after a few minutes

Tough steak can result from;

• Insufficient hanging - The meat should really be hung for 21 days, ideally 28 so that it becomes lovely and tender, and so that you can cook it rare without having a bloodbath on your plate....
    • Overcooking - Anything over Medium Rare is likely to result in the meat being a bit tougher
    • Not resting the steak for 5 or 10 minutes after cooking

For the first point, ask the butcher for well hung (careful now...!) steak

For the second, ca canny on the cooking. If you always have your steak well done, then toughness is a fact of life. Theres a rule of thimb (quite literally!) that says if you touch your thumb and your index finger together, then use your other hand to squeeze the fleshy part at the base of your thumb, thats how a medium rare steak will feel. Thumb to next finger is medium, thumb to ring finger = med-well done, thumb to pinkie = well done. When I touch my thumb and pinkie, the fleshy muscle at the thumb base is pretty rigid, and thats what happens your steak if you cook it to well done. Tough.

For the last point, resting is very important. Cooking contracts the meat, hence why well done is all shrivelled up. Resting lets the meat relax and regain some of its tenderness. However, you can rest a well done steak for hours and it will never be anything other than ruined!