Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs for sale ads?

Default Dogs for sale ads?

Whats with all the dogs/puppies for sale at the moment?
    There seems to be a lot of ads at the moment.

Its coming up to Christmas, it alus happens
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd like to see a ban on rehoming and pets for sale ads over Christmas time.

I'm sure that will make me unpopular, but it is getting out of hand. The amount of pets rehomed or sold at this time is terrible. It's such a bad time of year to introduce a new pet to a new family/home.

The sellers want money for christmas, and are feeding the "all i want for christmas is a puppy" culture that has arisen with kids nowadays.

My kids never once asked for a puppy..... my husband wanted a dog, I said I would prefer a puppy as can be trained (as we have young children) easier.

We got Jake 3 weeks ago, ok so not the best timing, and a bit sooner than I had anticipated (we were thinking more february/march time) but Jakes litter came up and having seen some pictures, we thought why not.

Fingers crossed these puppies find forever homes and not "oh you are cute.... damn you got big....... I dont want a dog anymore" situations.
    We child proofed the house..... but they keep getting in!

People often don't do any research on the breed they get - all they see is the cute puppy.

It takes lots of effort, time and regular training even once it's an adult dog and the breed they take on might not be suitable for their lifestyle.

Having a puppy for Christmas will often mean that the rescue centres which are already over capacity have to take on unwanted animals after reality kicks in and the poor pups end up in a rescue kennel.

As long as there are people wanting to get puppies as a 'Christmas present' there will be people selling them.

Default Re banning the Christmas puppy ads

http://www.petitiononline.com/annao/petition.html

On my website I run the link above, as a matter of course and for the record may I state that our remaining 4 puppies will not be rehomed at Christmas, in fact if suitable homes cannot be found they may not be rehomed at all.

Some of those on the org who sought to be a new owner of one our dogs, were to say the least, most disappointing and suffice to say only one puppy was rehomed.

As far as I am concerned, our puppies deserve so much more than an oh well, I am doing the owners a favour by taking a puppy off their hands,
    this attitude is not one which we ourselves appreciate,

neither was the attitude taken against me personally whereby I was considered by many to a prime numpty,

Regardless, the 4 remaining puppies will have a long and happy life with or without the help from the caring sharing org.

[quote=Commore;796215]http://www.petitiononline.com/annao/petition.html

On my website I run the link above, as a matter of course and for the record may I state that our remaining 4 puppies will not be rehomed at Christmas, in fact if suitable homes cannot be found they may not be rehomed at all.
    [quote]

That's great!
    Good to see that there are responsible and sensible breeders out there.

Commore was responsible when looking for homes, but no one seemed to see that at the time

I am looking for a dog at the moment but that doesnt mean that its as a xmas present. If its blatantly for a Xmas present then I am against it,but some times people cant help when their dogs have litters.
    playing devils advocate what happens if the dogs cant find homes over xmas and are abandoned? There may be loving potential pet owners that would have taken them.Which is the lesser of 2 evils?
    Its a tough call but i suppose responsible breeders need to find responsible owners, its at the discretion of the breeder,and the potential owner needs to show that its for life and not just for xmas.
    personally I am against a ban.
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

Commore the petition is for only staffie/staffie Xs being advertised for sale.
    I would like a blanket ban on puppies being sold over the Christmas period.
    From about 3 weeks before christmas to the 3rd Jan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Crackeday View Post
    "..but some times people cant help when their dogs have litters.."
    A responsible dog/cat owner will have their dogs/cat neutered or spayed to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Commore the petition is for only staffie/staffie Xs being advertised for sale.
    I would like a blanket ban on puppies being sold over the Christmas period.
    From about 3 weeks before christmas to the 3rd Jan...
    I would agree with that,

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    A responsible dog/cat owner will have their dogs/cat neutered or spayed to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
    Yes Anfield, seems I was drastically outnumbered on my views regarding spaying etc, however, and through having little real choice in that matter 4 of ours will visiting the vets in the forseeable future,

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    Yes Anfield, seems I was drastically outnumbered on my views regarding spaying etc, however, and through having little real choice in that matter 4 of ours will visiting the vets in the forseeable future,
    That is going to cost you a lot of money Commore. We recently had one of our dogs (small collie) spayed at the Thurso vets "McGreedors" and it cost £150! How can they justify this cost?

I would like to see some of the rich animal charities subsidise the cost of neutering/spaying in order to reduce the number of unwanted animals in the UK. In England the Dogs Trust run a scheme wherebye in some areas it costs just £30 to neuter a dog, and even less if you reside in Northern Island.

But then again the vets have a vested financial interest in ensuring that there a lot of animals to treat
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

I think all dog owners should be registered as either breeders or regular owners. and that all dogs should be 'done', unless you are a registered breeder.

Registered breeders shouldn't be having accidents. The breeder we got Murph from knew 2yrs in advance when she was planning to have more puppies available and we were lucky to get on her waiting list at the start.

Murph had his visit to the vets as soon as he was old enough.

If you can't afford the costs of having vet treatments you shouldn't be owning a dog in the first place, its not fair on them and its not fair on the owner struggling to find the money.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I know that most if not all rehoming centres used to, but not sure if they still do, have a rehoming ban over the festive period!
    They would still take in strays and abandoned animals... but the rehoming was left until the new year.
    When it is easier to settle a pet in as the daily routine is back to routine

As for the cost of neutering...thats to be taken into consideration when getting an animal...£150 is not bad!
    Poppy was £210 in 2003.
    If you are complaining about the cost...see what some of the vets down south charge!
    I think our vets are reasonable in their costs.

Well, I have been quoted nearly three thousand pounds for all that I would need done with my dogs,
    not an option in the current climate, therefore, it will be bitches only at the moment,
    mind you, I did not expect to be left with four puppies either and they pose their own problems,

every animal owner, regardless of animal type has need of a vet at some time or other in the lifetime of the animals, vets are a necessity of modern life, but their fees for this or that could be reduced to cope with the overbreeding etc, of a variety of animals.

I nearly fainted when charged nearly twenty pounds for a small amount of panacur for the worming of our puppies and yet for just a few pounds more and for the same wormer I can worm a whole herd of sheep,
    and as far as I can see someone has the sums wrong when dealing with a pet as opposed to a domestic herd regardless of type of animal.

I am being quoted anywhere between 180 pounds and 220 pounds per bitch depending on the weight of the dog,

yet in Glasgow the pdsa will charge only 30 pounds per dog,

Cardonald cat and dog home charges a very small amount if you have your dog done there,
    albeit, it is students doing the work.
    Vets, in my opinion hold pet owners to ransom and even more so in the north,

Quote Originally Posted by Commore View Post
    Vets, in my opinion hold pet owners to ransom and even more so in the north,
    Using the word Vets implies plural, and that we have a choice.
    Up here it is McGreedors, or a long drive south

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    Using the word Vets implies plural, and that we have a choice.
    Up here it is McGreedors, or a long drive south
    Precisely
    my sentiments exactly

I hummed and I haaad and then thought oh why not.

Why do people get an animal without doing any research as to how much it may potentially cost them in the future? A simple phone call before procuring your pet or allowing you pet to breed would have solved a simple problem about how much to spay / neuter. This could then have entered into your accounts to whether you could have afforded said pet. A simple geographical search and some logic applied would have confirmed that PDSA would not have been available to spay / neuter but another simple phone call would have assured you that should your finances deserve it there is PDSA available up here for all other unforeseen ailments.

The PDSA spay /neuter scheme runs at a loss, not really financially viable for a business with good people to pay. A discount scheme is offered to local charities to alleviate some of the burden they endure for other peoples inconsiderate breeding.

Any other vets are most welcome to come up and set up practice, it is not an exclusive market.

If you wish your pet "done" in a tin shed with very little overheads and no sterile environment, clean kennel, food, nurses, staff and qualified surgeons then I am sure there are a few potential butchers that can oblige.

I just googled the private price of a hysterectomy on a woman and it is about 5k, I didnt google male castration but I can see there should be a market for it.

Now I may be a bit flippant but sometimes people just annoy me, the fact that they have to pay for something outrages them, without a thought for even the most simple aspect of the people behind that business, the care, the equipment, the skill, the overheads and that goes for every business out there trying to make a few pence to keep their heads above water.

But if you are ever in the unfortunate position to phone the vet in the middle of the night to ask for advice on your beloved animal - make sure you ask the price so you can moan the greedy brute charged you a whooping nothing!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast