Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Kestrel in our Back Garden

Default Kestrel in our Back Garden

We've had a kestrel in our back garden since about 9.30 this morning.

It had caught a blackbird, but the poor thing (the kestrel !) must've been exhausted as it just sat for about an hour looking extremely bedraggled and almost catatonic !!

The last hour it's been busy eating away. Having phoned the vet for advice, we just left it alone, as it definetley perked up after a wee rest.

It's lovely to see such a pretty bird of prey so close up and such a privelege to be able to watch nature on our very doorstep !
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Beautiful birds!
    I had a very up close experience with one.
    It flew into Ionas bedroom windowpane while chasing something...
    Stunned itself, the cat thought all his dreams had come true..removed the cat by locking him in our bedroom and looked for a box and an old towel...carefully put him in the box and closed it..he was still stunned after an hour...then phoned the SSPCA...they took him out to Balmore and he survived and was released!
    Though the lady on the phone asked if I was sure it was a kestrel and not a seagull when I phoned...
    I assured her my bird identification was not that bad!

Thanks for your reply Dadie.

"Our" kestrel sat in the garden for over 4 hours !!!

The only reason that we left it alone was because it was eating.

I was extremely concerned about it, thinking that when it got dark, we'd definetely have to help it in some way - as you said, Dadie, probably putting a towel o'er it and taking it to the vets.

Thank God, by about 1.40 this afternoon, it decided to make a "fly for it" and went up onto our neighbours tree.

I asked my hubby to go check around about, including peering o'er the fence into neighbours garden, just to ensure that it hadn't "given up" !!

No sign of it since - hopefully it's away and happy with such a big "meal" in it's belly !
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Great action for the garden, but could it have been a Sparrowhawk rather than a kestrel? as it sounds classic sparrowhawk behaviour.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...whawk-Male.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Common_Kestrel_1.jpg
    Away with the birds

Thanks Kas;

No !!!!............ it was definetely a kestrel ! We actually watched it for well over 3 hours;... my OH is also extremely skilled in bird-watching !

Thank you though for your observations - appreciated !!
    Last edited by cherokee; 07-Dec-10 at 18:43.

Wow nice one.

This cold weather is sure making life hard for the birds. Hence them doing different things.

We had Woodcock, Skylark and Common Gull in our garden this week. First time for any of that species in the garden.

Week species list for the garden stands at 26 which is double the norm.
    Away with the birds