Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: help puff pastry

Default help puff pastry

hi anyone got a simple recipe for puff pastry i have tried many but pastry always ends up falling apart

I have made it in the past, cannae mind where I got the reipe from, but to be honest its one of those things that aint worth the effort, I just buy the packets now.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Here goes!
    8oz butter
    8oz plain flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp lemon juice
    chilled water to mix

1.shape butter into a 3/4 inch brick
    2. sift flour into a bowl with the salt. mix to a soft paste with the lemon juice and water.
    3. knead well on a floured work surface.
    4.Roll out into a rectangle 12x6 inch.
    5. stand butter on 1 half of the rectangle and fold over the top half so butter is completely enclosed.
    press open edges together with a rolling pin. Put in a poly bag and bung in fridge for 15mins
    6 remove from fridge and bag. With fold on right roll into a 18x6 inch rectangle.
    7. fold into 3 envelope style by bringing bottom 3rd over middle 3rd and folding top over, seal edges and chill again for 15 mins...repeat 7 times
    8 chill for 30mins before rolling out to use.
    9. after rolling out and let it rest for 30 mins before cooking.
    Usual temp for cooking is 230 c (450 F) mark 8

or just buy a pack!

Definitely buy a pack!

Recipe above looks pretty much bang on, But i would put 3 turns in it to get more layers and maybe split the butter 50/50 with lard, if your wanting old fashioned style puff.
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

It does have 3 turns in it as you take the bottom 3rd up and the top 3rd down!
    I would use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard if savory..all butter for sweet fillings!

But really nowadays its as cheap to buy it readymade..and less time in the kitchen.....
    So unless batch making lots and freezing it for later I wouldnt bother!

thanks! still going to buy packet pastry, its just sometimes i i forget to buy it in e shop and live out of the town so its handy to know