Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: England is out

Default England is out

England is out thank goodness. We will now not be hearing about it for the next eight years as would have been if they did win.

I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised, that they never won. With the corruption in FIFA it's no surprise Russia and Qatar won.

It would have been great having a major tournament on our doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by greener View Post
    England is out thank goodness. We will now not be hearing about it for the next eight years as would have been if they did win.

I agree.

Lottery funding in this country has been so squeezed by the Olympics that less is available to spend on other things.

Something I have never understood though.
    Why does the UK have four separate national teams?

I mean - I am not a fan of football and I don't follow sport.

But it does seem to me, complete ignoramus that I am, that a British football team would sweep all before it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post

Maybe because we are different nations - not just regions of England!

I agree.

Lottery funding in this country has been so squeezed by the Olympics that less is available to spend on other things.

But it does seem to me, complete ignoramus that I am, that a British football team would sweep all before it.
    We are four seperate countries plain as.
    I can see where you are coming from but most including me would not support a British national team.

Oh Dear !

C3...

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    Maybe because we are different nations - not just regions of England!
    Who said they were regions of England? Where does that come from?

We are a sort of federal state with one central government that handles all our foreign affairs and defence.

Switzerland is a federation of cantons speaking French, German, Italians and Romansch. But they do sport as Switzerland.

When there was a place called Czechoslovakia there was a Czechoslovakian team.

If it is ok for us to have four teams, why could they not have had a Czech team and a Slovak team? Or why can any federal state containing different nations not have the same?

I am not asking this with any irony in mind. I genuinely do not know.

As far as I know the UK is the only state in the world which fields more than one team.

How did that happen?

Who said they were regions of England? Where does that come from?

We are a sort of federal state with one central government that handles all our foreign affairs and defence.

Switzerland is a federation of cantons speaking French, German, Italians and Romansch. But they do sport as Switzerland.

When there was a place called Czechoslovakia there was a Czechoslovakian team.

If it is ok for us to have four teams, why could they not have had a Czech team and a Slovak team? Or why can any federal state containing different nations not have the same?

I am not asking this with any irony in mind. I genuinely do not know.

As far as I know the UK is the only state in the world which fields more than one team.

How did that happen?
    *sigh*

It happened when FIFA was formed. They recognised the importance of the British associations' part in developing modern football, and awarded each association a life-long place on the FIFA General Committee (or whatever it's called).

If any of the home nations were to merge with the other, they'd lose their exalted place on this committee, after all, all national teams are run by their own football association. That's why it's called 'Association Football'.

Not only would British football be worse off, due to the lessened control over World Football, but Europe's would too.

Plus, nobody wants to lose their national team.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

The reason for separate teams is historical.

The first international football match was Scotland v England.

We've had separate asscoiations, leagues and cups for longer than the world cup has existed.

This is not an issue of unionism or nationalism, just of history.

Thankyou.

I have learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by morvenview View Post
    We are four seperate countries plain as.
    I can see where you are coming from but most including me would not support a British national team.
    So why are Rangers & Celtic so keen to ditch the SPL and join the English Premier League
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    So why are Rangers & Celtic so keen to ditch the SPL and join the English Premier League
    Money. Simple.

I think England and Scotland should do a joint bid for next time, share the glory about (if everyone isn't too proud that is) ...
    Everyday above ground is a good day

Because Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea will be easier to beat than Inverness?
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

It was only a matter of time before they came grovelling at the hands of the superior Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical View Post
    I think England and Scotland should do a joint bid for next time, share the glory about (if everyone isn't too proud that is) ...
    Next time has already been awarded to Qatar (yes that famous centre of footballing legends)

Apparently the temperatures reach 50 degrees centigrade in Qatar, really good for quality football playing!!

I would think the term "BID" is most appropriate for describing the process involved!!

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Apparently the temperatures reach 50 degrees centigrade in Qatar, really good for quality football playing!!
    Thats going to go down well with players used to the blistering heat of the UK

At least we have the Olympics to concentrate on....

I agree.

England are only an average side, yet scarcely one or two Scots or Welshmen would be up to selection - I can't think of one Ulsterman who migh contend. A U.K. team would win nowt.
    Incidentally, the UK has four separate 'Football Associations' each with autonomy and vested interest. As an Englishman myself I have no wish to see a 'United Kingdom' team - however, I'd quite like to see the Home Chamionships reinstated as a serious competition

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bonnet View Post
    "..however, I'd quite like to see the Home Chamionships reinstated as a serious competition.."
    I agree, they should be played either pre-season, or at seasons end, and lets do away with all the meaningless mid season friendlies which serve no purpose at all other than increasing the risk of injury to players
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Qatar for 2022.

A team thats never qualified for the World Cup with a population of 1.5 million.

50 degrees temps and 10 x 50000+ capacity stadiums to be built in an area similar in size to the highlands.

It's amazing what oil can buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast