Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting The Kids Involved

Default Getting The Kids Involved

I thought this would be the best place to discuss this, as many of the regular posters in here are musicians too, so I'd really appreciate your feedback on this subject.

My Wee'erBurd is very keen on listening to music (recorded and live) at the moment, and I'd love her to learn to play one day too, however I have no clue as to the best age to help them start?

I don't want to be pushy - I'd hate music to become a chore for her (as it did for me at one stage!), more so, I just want to nurture her natural interest and enjoyment in it, and give her opportunities where I can.

So, any comments welcome - when did you all start playing; how did you get interested; who got you interested; what instruments did you start with; have you stuck with them or moved on to other things? Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Incidentally, she's no even two yet, so all she can muster at the moment, is a big honk on her Pot Noodle Horn . Mind you, she's not too bad at holding a tune when it comes to singing her favourite theme tunes/nursery rhymes!!
    WeeBurd.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

I was brought into a musical environment & at the age of 2 I had a wee Hitachi stereo & a selection of tapes, Dvorak, Mozart, Kris Kristopherson, Bill Jones??

I then started to bash at my ol' mans drums at age 3 & instead of keeping me off it he taught me how to play instead. I couldn't reach the pedals but that never stopped a chap

basically I was given a start & worked & taught myself the rest along with a huge number of influences

I then discovered & wooden thing with strings on it at 6 & just had to get into it as well that naturally led to bass guitar. Having had the early start in music I knew from an early point that I would never have "a real job" music is my life & will continue to be my life

fortunately I didn't grow up with pushy parents IE go to college from school & then to uni to end up on the doll back in thurso. I went my own path & my parents supported me in every way & still do

I thank them for that, as I am almost completely happy in my work (you don't have to enjoy every gig you know)

yours truly
    a early started musician

With reference to the above post by Cjnr, it was not him and his drums that drove me mad, I was there already.
    Seriously I did everything I could to help him to do what he wanted with as little interference as possible. When he was playing with me at the age of seven, folks begged me not to push him. When he was still playing with me at the age of eighteen the same folks begged me not to hold him back. We still make our best music together and everyday is an exploration of the musical unknown. I suppose the secret is to let your daughter learn at her own speed and give as much intuitive help as you can. Encouragement and help in her own chosen direction and she will learn naturally. Good luck Wee Burd.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Thank you,Gents, I enjoyed reading the two sides there.

The Wee Wifie is already showing a leaning towards the pipes for some reason, and insists we play pipe music in the car. Alas I'm no piper (could be in her blood though, as she's descended from a local piping dynasty). She also likes to strum at her miniature guitar, whilst singing along. Ah, so sweet...

I do think that music is most enjoyable when you explore it yourself, rather than being force-fed curriculum gumphhh that is of no interest to the average kid. Mind you, that's maybe why I never got much further than learning my chords .

Chobbersjnr - I thought Bass was only for the bubbles like me, who's mouth was quicker than their fingers, hahaha!

Disclaimer: I do not pretend to be proficient in any instrument, but will attempt to get a sound out of almost anything. I prefer to stick to the karaoke!
    WeeBurd.

Talking

i started playing an instrument (guitar) when i was twelve, but took it seriously when i was 15. i am self taught. my parents friends and family allow me the space to learn on my own time and i have found that musically satisfying.

because i had the freedom i chose to take up, bass, drums, keyboard and now drums.

i also sung since i can remember.

Yes, the key word here is freedom; freedom to try things out, change instruments even. And of course freedom to make a right racket without being curtailed!

Outhouses are handy!!.....

Talking

well in my current music room, which is my old childhood room, its very very very small. we had two old matress's lying about, nuthin fancy but i put one up on either side of the room and for over a year i have had no complaints from the locals.

when i said freedom i meant creative freedom, musical expression, no boundries as in no "dont sing that, or play like this"

i was allowed to develop my own style and make something mine.

but i do understand where you are coming from.

i used to live next to a drummer

UGGHH!!!

Oooooooooooooooooooh a thread wanting to know how we all started to see the best way to go about things

I already have to agree, being force fed music and being led in any direction unwillingly is a defo way to end any thoughts about enjoying playing music

For myself i started to play bass when i was 13 (basically becaue there were 2 few bassists at the time, and it was the same tone as my voice at the time )

Got into a lot of bands and when i was about 15, maybe 16 learned the art of slap bass, and it really all took off for me there

I also play guitar (not very well, more finger plicking than actual chord playing, im a bassist, individual finger movement i prefer) and i sing (which i belive i am better at), but my number one passion is bass, i wont say im an excellent bass player, but i am a good bass player which i put down to my many years (......whoa, nearly 10) of gigging and jamming, its my number one instrument of all time, which sadly i believe by too many people is looked on as a poor mans guitar or a failed guitarist which is RUBBISH

But yeah, i feel great pride in my abilities as i taught myself from scratch, which makes it all the sweeter, good luck to the wee one, music is the best thing i have ever involved myself in, it is my rock, it is my heart and soul, it is my love (excuse the over dramatisation there)

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    Chobbersjnr - I thought Bass was only for the bubbles like me, who's mouth was quicker than their fingers, hahaha!

well that makes me a bubble as well

NAH not at all, all I have to say is

Victor Wooten
    John Entwisle
    Phil Lesh
    Anthony Jackson
    John Pattitucci

the list is endless

Niels Henning-Orsted Peiderson (what a name) he can shred on a double bass

Default ok the 1 tip I can give

I know you were looking for musicians to reply but I thought I'd chip in too.

The best bit of advice is all of the below text plus the biggy

if he/she wants to a be a drummer, just buy the drum kit, yes they are expensive but yall be able to sell it easy, loadsa people want to try the drums.

no thats it on the advice.

Weeburd,
    My musical adventures started at the age of 15 on drums. (I sold my Hornby trainset to help finance things). About a year later I was fascinated by synthesizers (just strange synthetic noises) and bought a Roland SH-101 (monophonic, 2 and a half octave, plastic thing). This led to MIDI and sequencing which 25 years later ended up with a full blown personal recording studio and a wedding band with more bookings than they know what to do with!!

My advice is to encourage your daughter as much as she can bear/has interest in. Mozart was playing to the aristocracy of Europe at the age of three and composing concertos only a few years later!! (though his father was overly pushy on many fronts).

Above all let her hear as diverse a range of music as possible (Classical, jazz, blues, traditional, rock etc) I had a VERY blinkered vision and taste (Rush & Genesis) until being partly educated also by Gleber2 I also recommend getting a small portable recorder of some sort so she can get used to hearing how she sounds. It is an invaluable self training tool.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by roblovesplastic View Post
    I know you were looking for musicians to reply but I thought I'd chip in too.

The best bit of advice is all of the below text plus the biggy

if he/she wants to a be a drummer, just buy the drum kit, yes they are expensive but yall be able to sell it easy, loadsa people want to try the drums.

no thats it on the advice.
    this advice is twisted

crivvens what about the back problems that go with drumming

harmonica, nice & small & fits in the pocket

loo-b-loo Guest

WeeBurd.
    I did my first concert at the age of 4 singing to a group of WAF ladies, so the earlier you start them the better.
    I then went onto learn the piano although I don't really play it any more it gave me a great grounding for generall reading of music and always being able to bang out the notes and learn new songs. I hated having to practice all the time though!!
    I also played Cornet at school and then moved onto the Saxaphone. I would say encourgage as much as you can for your child to do what makes them happy. I was brought up on Bab's, Neil Diamond, Kenny Rodgers but to name a few and my husband hates my music taste so just play a wide variaty and they will soon find out what they like and what they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by loo-b-loo View Post
    WeeBurd.
    I did my first concert at the age of 4 .
    you beat me by 2 years

mine was in the jazz club in the old weigh inn circa 1986 on drums

If she's performing by the time she's in school, great!

But, seriously, I have no pre-defined targets up my sleeve or whatever. Whether she just wants to listen to music; to play music for herself (and hopefully her Maw & Paw & Sis); or to become a full on classical/jazz/country/pop/rock musician - I'd just like to encourage her. It's good to hear that some of you started pre-school too...

We shall continue to expose her to as varied a musical banquet as possible, and perhaps let her have a wee play on some real instruments pretty soon, to see what she makes of them. And if you happen to see a wee toddler at any local gigs, don't go to close - she packs a mighty punch!
    WeeBurd.

Even if she is just starting, she can replace every member in each of my bands, even if its an instrument she has never played

that would still be better than my fellow band members

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post

harmonica, nice & small & fits in the pocket
    Beeg Albert maybe gleber?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Beeg Albert maybe gleber?
    Aye, my first teacher.

loo-b-loo Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    you beat me by 2 years

And I bet you didn't have to perform "Raindrops on Roses" with bunches and ribbons in your hair!!

Oh the shame....

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    you beat me by 2 years

Godmin has a DVD of that performance but haven't seen fit to put it on the org yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast