Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Oman Family from Thurso

Default Oman Family from Thurso

Hello from New Zealand,
    We are having a mini heatwave here while Scotland is having atrocious weather. I keep up tp date with The Press and Journal daily. I come from Nairn originally and my maternal family is the Oman family from Thurso.
    My great great grandparents were:
    John Oman born Thurso 1800 married to
    Bini (Benneath) akso known as Minnie Gear born 1796 at Janetstown.
    Their daughter Ann ( my great grandmother) born Thurso in 1829
    married William Shaw in Edinburgh in 1851.
    I was last in Thurso in 1988, I wish I had started my family tree search then,
    Regards from NZ
    Min Walker nee Davidson

Hello Min from a warm and sultry Brisbane. I transcribed the Thurso OPR's for FREEREG and have got 7 children for John and Benjamina (Bini) Oman and also their marriage in 18/2/1825 in Thurso. John's occupation on the baptisms is given as "Post". If you don't already have this information I can send it to you. Also on FREECEN you will find the family in the 1841 and 1851 census in Thurso.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Min Walker View Post
    Hello from New Zealand,
    We are having a mini heatwave here while Scotland is having atrocious weather. I keep up tp date with The Press and Journal daily. I come from Nairn originally and my maternal family is the Oman family from Thurso.
    My great great grandparents were:
    John Oman born Thurso 1800 married to
    Bini (Benneath) akso known as Minnie Gear born 1796 at Janetstown.
    Their daughter Ann ( my great grandmother) born Thurso in 1829
    married William Shaw in Edinburgh in 1851.
    I was last in Thurso in 1988, I wish I had started my family tree search then,
    Regards from NZ
    Min Walker nee Davidson

I know of Omans who also owned worked on fishing boats in the mid 1860s. Benjamin Oman was one from memory. I have more details if its of any use.