Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Glasvegas

Default Glasvegas

Glasvegas to play Wick!

On Jan 7th 2011 the mighty Glasvegas will be coming to town for the biggest show to hit the north yet! Tickets are on sale TOMORROW (Sat 27th) from Macallans Wick and Thurso Mens Shops and Blackstairs Lounge, Wick

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWicker View Post
    Glasvegas to play Wick!

On Jan 7th 2011 the mighty Glasvegas will be coming to town for the biggest show to hit the north yet! Tickets are on sale TOMORROW (Sat 27th) from Macallans Wick and Thurso Mens Shops and Blackstairs Lounge, Wick
    WHo is the promoter ?

Smile Glasvegas

Bought my tickets this morning, Saw them a TITP 09 and they were fab! Cannot Wait!

Think it is Ryan Cook that has organised it!

It's part of a wider tour, taking in lesser visited areas of Scotland. Tour begins in Orkney and other dates include Oban, Hawick and more..

That said, I think it is a sign that Wick is now seen as a viable location to bring a touring act.. normally these groups tend to just head straight to Orkney!

So well done Ryan.
    Week will inherit the earth.....

I'd never heard of them until someone sent me a YouTube link.

Just listening to Geraldine and it's great!!!!

For anyone who's unsure of them...

www.Glasvegas.net

These boys supported U2 and Kings of Leon on their Stadium Tours last year so this will be a very intimate gig for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRob View Post
    It's part of a wider tour, taking in lesser visited areas of Scotland. Tour begins in Orkney and other dates include Oban, Hawick and more..

That said, I think it is a sign that Wick is now seen as a viable location to bring a touring act.. normally these groups tend to just head straight to Orkney!

So well done Ryan.
    Well said, Week is now seen as a viable venue for known bands, this has undoubtably been built up by Ryan Cook's reputation for putting bands on at the stairs

Wasnt there a Stiff tour in Caithness in the late 70s? Anyone go to that , any memories, or better still photos?

Saw them support U2 at Hampden, thought they were pretty shoddy. not my cup of tea and all the songs sounded the same.

But hey they should be good in an intimate surrounding
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Pretty sure there was a stiff tour up here. I dunno if it was the first one that had the blockheads and elvis Costello. Probably not.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    Wasnt there a Stiff tour in Caithness in the late 70s? Anyone go to that , any memories, or better still photos?
    yep I was there, to my memory this was the second stiff tour, as Costello /Blockheads et all were involved in the first whihc didnt come to Wick. This tour featured up and comming stiff label minor acts :

Rachel Sweet ( backed by the Records who played a short 15 minute set themselves )
    Lena Lovitch
    Wreckless Eric
    Mickey Jupp
    Jonah Lewie ( of the later christmas hit : Stop the cavalry

Stiff promoted the tour "hinting" that their bigger acts would be making surprise appearances...and surprise surprise...no big act made a guest appearance in Wick Assembly rooms. Great show, good PA, good lights crowd of around 500...good atmosphere, best band The Records by a mile. Gig was reviewed in one of the big music papers....usually tosh...comming to the middle of know where, unintelligent / unsophiticated crowd etc etc.

Two other great gigs though : Echo and The Bunnymen Wick 1982 and Del Amitri 1990 /91...Del Amitri was one of the best ever in the North ( in that time period )

Other highlights : Babe Ruth 1972, Writing on the Wall 1974...not a lot happened in the 70's!