Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Pay as you go mobile broadband dongles

Default Pay as you go mobile broadband dongles

I am interested in finding information about pay as you go mobile broadband dongles, I was wondering are they tied to a particular network or can they be unlocked (like mobile phones) and then used with a sim card from another network, if a rival provider gave a better deal?

yes you can unlock them just like phones

the tools are on the net too and alot easier than with phones as they are direct usb connect

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Quote Originally Posted by ecb View Post
    I am interested in finding information about pay as you go mobile broadband dongles, I was wondering are they tied to a particular network or can they be unlocked (like mobile phones) and then used with a sim card from another network, if a rival provider gave a better deal?
    If you have a mobile phone on contract you could always phone them up and ask them how much extra it will be to get internet tethering facility on your phone then you could mobile internet from your laptop via phone?
    Dongles are ok if your out and about and your in an area were there is 3g but if your not then its slow
    I have the vodafone dongle were you pay £15 for 1gb and you top up once your credit runs out with no time limit were the credit expires and 1gb last ages if your just surfing but you dont get that deal now its only dongles with were the credit expires every 30 days and you have to top up every month which is crap because its not pay as you go in my eyes its just the same as a contract but execpt you can stop anytime you want

I think that unless you get a 3G signal they are pretty rubbish up here

Default laptops and Dongles

hi am planning anew laptop out of Tescos just to surf the net Ebay etc.
    So which one do i go for ?
    Was also going to use a dongle, Do they work ok up here ?
    And which one works best ?

Quote Originally Posted by sprocketman View Post
    you would be better of getting broadband through your phone line just as cheap and you have more monthly usage

Cool dongles

some dongles do work up here vodaphone is ok works over most of the county and speed varies quite a bit , o2 also works but not everywere in the county but when does work get good speed , also 3 works but very intermittent but if you do get it to work its 3g with a excellent speed ive tried all 3 of thease networks personally would go for vodaphone but thats my opinion but at 15 pound topups your better of gettin broadband in the house
    BORN TO BE FREE AND WILD

Quote Originally Posted by sprocketman View Post
    i think you would be wasting your money getting a dongle for use up here.i had one from 3 and my mate got one from vodafone.they were both rubbish.3 didnt work at all and vodafone was a nightmare just surfing the net it took ages ahd ages just to turn a page!!