Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: DVLA

Default DVLA

This is a warning about what DVLA r doing now!!

I bought a car off a boy 4 weeks ago and he had lost the log book, so as u know u have 2 pay #19 for new 1's, so the boy handed me #20 and said there is the money so u can get a new log book, which was very good of him, so i sent that off and got the papers for the car, but 4 weeks later he got a fine from DVLA for not telling them that he had sold the car. which is a fixed penalty of #35 if he pays b4 the end of the month and if he doesn't he has 2 pay #55 by the 5/9/04 and if he doesn't pay it by then then they r taking him 2 court!

What r they going 2 do next it is really sad what they r doing and the ways they r making money!

If i had of known about the fine for not telling them about selling a car the boy could of got the papers in his name then passed them on 2 me signed and what not and it would of saved him #35

So be warned!!

Default Roxette

I think it's fair enough. They're trying to prevent sale of stolen cars. He shouldn't be selling it without a logbook, and you shouldn't be buying one without a logbook. Here, you're much more likely to know who someone is, or know someone who knows them, but the DVLA have to make a rule. It would be ridiculous for them to make a rule "Except in Caithness, Anglesey and Rogart you must have a logbook to sell a car, or we'll fine you."

JT

You are perfectly right Linzy222, it's just another way of getting extra revenue out of people who are basically so honest that they don't know how to work the system to their advantage.

I have never ever come into contact with a car thief who was good enough to inform the DVLA where they could find him so they could send him a fine for selling the car he had stolen. I'm sure the police wished that thieves were that stupid.

Honest people are an easy target because they leave a paper trail a mile wide so they are easy to find and easy to force money out of.
    Doing something about criminals costs money and is to be avoided at all costs.It messes up the Chancellors figures
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

It's up to the vehicle owner to inform the DVLA of change of ownership of a vehicle. It is the law. If the previous owner lost the log book it is up to them to obtain a new one.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

It didn't stop them grabbing Linzy222's money for the new log book though.
    If they were so concerned about the previous owner they should have refered Linzy222 back to him so the paperwork could have been completed correctly.
    It's obvious that grabbing the money was the main aim.

Hi John i understand what u r saying but i should of put it was from my b/f's brother who i bought the car off of so i know it wasn't stolen, if i didn't know the person i was buying a car off of i wouldn't of bought it without the logbook!

the point of this topic was just to warn people not to buy a car without the logbook even if u r related or r great pals with them and u know its not stolen, coz it will cost £54

Thanx Jaws at least u agree with me and can c my point!!

I can spot a greedy rip off a mile away, especially when politicians try and pretend it's for 'the public benefit'.
    Don't try and solve a problem, just grab the money from the easiest target!

Of course, if you don't think like a criminal then you are easily trapped. The more people they trap, the more money they make and the easier it is to fool people into thinking something is being done to stop the 'Real Criminals'.

It makes a good sound-bite and that and the money are all that matters to our Wonderful Leaders!

"After all, provided the gullible fools think we are doing something they will keep voting for us, won't they?"

Linzy222 having to pay the money for a new log book is a rip off, the gits(dvla) get more than enough in road tax money and fines for not telling them youve sold your car!! As i was aware about 7% of revenue fom road tax goes back into the transport infastructure! Its just another way of the government taxing peope for being honest(rich or poor) while the criminals can make forgerys good enough so most people to not be able to tell the diffrence.

Linzy222

A wee bit of advice. Get on to John Thurso and tell him your woes. He is at war with the DVLA at the moment and I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from you.
    Just call the House of Commons in London and ask for his office.

I had problems with them recently (not for the first time may I add) and one phone call to our MP and it was all sorted.

The place is full of bureaucratic nonsense and the sooner it is overhauled the better.

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz