Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: what now?

Default what now?

ok i got a birdy table
    what do i put on it? how do i stop the wind blowing it away? (both the table and the foodies!)

i am very exposed, even the seagulls don't like it up here ..... but i would like one or two visitors to the table. there's no cover in the way of bushes etc, just the house, a mess of a garden and then holborn head!

advice greatfully received
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Buy a budgie???
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

lol i did consider that but not sure how billy would take to it

i guess it's just going to be a case of trial and error as to what goes on birdy table and see what, if anything. turns up
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

If your very exposed cover your self up before the polices come.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Weight the base of the table down with anything heavy you can lay your hands on. If it still flies away in the next gale, don't bother replacing it. Instead, screw a shelf to a nearby shed (If your shed blew away, it doesn't bode well for the bird table!). Screw cup hooks round the edge of the shelf for attaching feeders to. Close the cup hooks a bit with pliers to lessen the chances of the feeders being blown off. This doesn't always work and you'll still have to keep replacing feeders, but it's cheaper than replacing bird tables.

Sorry, I forgot to say to tie the feeders to the cup hooks with string. Still not fool proof, but every little helps.

just put a mixture of seeds out and soon enough birds will come. it took a few weeks for them to find ours then suddenly there were hundreds. they even sit on the bedroom window sil cheaping first thing in the morning wanting to be fed lololol
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Thanks for the advice folks, will get some seed and feeders over the next wee while and see what happens
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Dig a hole about 18" deap just larger than the support for the bird table, then use postcrete , should stay put even where you are!
    Try positioning the table close to a fence so that birds can approach with out having to cover a large open space.

Know this might sound silly,but, has your bird table got an edge, prtruding up about an inch all the way round?
    Certainly helps

Lizz....not near a fence!
    CATS!
    Dont want the bird table to become cats dinner plate!
    Weigh the base down with a few concrete blocks...or anything else heavy.
    Dont have too many feeders hanging off it....and if it still falls down dont be surprised!
    Good luck!

no such thing as cats here dadie! they don't come within 300 yards of the place, so close to the fence will be fine

yes domino, it has an edge sticking up all way round with just a gap at the corners.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    CATS!
    Dont want the bird table to become cats dinner plate!
    Is that not the point? Save on cat food and make sure puss doesn't starve when all the mice and rabbits have been dealt with?

Easy enough, Tuggs. Cement the post into the ground and glue the bird seed to the table. No, not with superglue - I would use some melted lard.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Well i hung one of those green netting things with balls of nuts and the lardy seedy stuff and put loose seed on the table - so far seen two starlings at it lol, did see something else taking a look from the fence but it never came to feed, i'm going to be useless at this ID lark lol
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Give it time.

The birds are not acting normal right now with the weather. I find our table dioesnt do nearly as well out in the open, as if it is put next to bushes.

Have you got any cover up there?
    Away with the birds

Got nothing Kas might try a pampas or gorse bush or something of the like next spring time
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

I think you will get far more in the summer too up there.
    Hopefully get a chat sometime and I can tell you all the sort of stuff I have seen up your way. Stick with it though, as they will come.
    Away with the birds