Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killer A9

Default Killer A9

Going down to the south (Cornwall and Lancs.) for our holiday on 22nd Oct, Mrs Beks and I were held up at Faskally for four hours - whilst the carnage was cleared after the death of three people on this part of the A9..
    Yesterday on the 15th November; on our way home, roadside police warnings said there was an accident south of Dalwhinne and the A9 was closed - appears a two-vehicle fatal; two deceased this time. Put ourselves up in Perth's Broxton Travelodge overnight..
    Next morning noticed on the Lodges TV that a truck had overturned at the junction of the A889/A9 at Dalwhinne, but a lane was still open, so we set off..
    Just before Blair Atholl we read a Police warning sign: 'Accident,A9 closed, take alternative route' Hmm there ain't an alternative route!, so carried on until half way up the duel carriageway of Drumochter were bought to a halt be traffic - waited an hour and slowly moved off to see that a large truck had crashed, difficult to ascertain why but deep gauges out of the embankment - seems this accident occurred in the early hours; 6am?.tired driver?.
    Being a very regular traveller over 'the hump' Inverness to Perth and vice-versa, have a very fair impression of this so-called Trunk Road.. It has always astounded me that this 100 mile+ section of the A9 does not have service stations. It appears that thirty years ago when the road was rerouted, the Councils decided to not allow such refreshment areas (even little burger/tea vans) to be on the A9, as they wanted to help these 'by-passed communities'.
    This prohibition was supposed to last for 29 years to allow these 'by-passed communities' to adjust. What happened? certain Neanderthal Councillors voted to allow this stupidity to continue - in spite of Police, AA, RAC urging and the fact that the A9 is THE ONLY MAJOR ROAD IN UK not to have refreshment stops along it's route - does anyone honestly expect a huge truck to turn off the A9 and make a couple of miles detour to find a cafe - which may or may not be open? Common sense - well lacking in Councillors - dictates not.. Doing a couple of hours over that route is no fun at night.

Anyone notice these "Tiredness Kills: take a break" signs, what a sad and pathetic joke as our headlights pick out the words.

The initial fatal we witnessed was near Faskally, don't know if anyone is familiar with the mis-leading signs down there? But going south, on the A9 past Blair Atholl then down the duel carriageway at killiecrankie. After the end of the Duel Carriageway there's a short section of single lanes before the turn-off for Pitlochry, and there is a large white sign with a blue arrow - which upon first impression is a duel carriageway sign. But it ain't!- some moronic road planner put in a couple of hundred feet of duel road, which has caught many a driver - I've seen vehicles who assumed it WAS a duel carriageway and pulled out to overtake to instantly realise it was not and attempt to come back in - saw today testimony of skid marks and detritus of vehicles, strewn along the edge..

Five killed.. misleading signs, lack of dual carriageways, lack of roadside refreshment, these three lane 'over-taking' sections which, with a light dusting of snow, demarcation is obliterated..

The A9? an embarrassment to Scotland
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Don't bother getting off into any of those bypassed communities after mid-evening, as nothing ever seems to be open, except pubs. Just one decent service area half way up would make a lot of difference. Or even let mobile vans park a few places. I still remember the guy that used to stop at the top of Drumochter.

Like you Beks, I use this road at night, 6 hours into a 9 hour drive it can be very taxing. I have had one near miss when (travelling at 70mph) a lorry overtook me than screeched to a halt on the wrong side of the road. I assume he had fallen asleep and woken up just before he hit my back end

I cant find a lot of fault with the road itself.....Now drivers, thats the main problem!!!

C3....

Amateurs!

You should have driven it in the days when it took 12 hours to get to Edinburgh and the garage at Calvine made a fortune from callouts to fatal accidents under the rail bridge.

"Oncoming Traffic in Middle of Road."

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    'Accident,A9 closed, take alternative route' Hmm there ain't an alternative route

U'ey - Dunkeld, Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Braemar, left at Bridge of Glairn, Tomahaish, Cock Bridge, Speybridge, Duthil, Bogroy - A9

We went from Perth, Blairgowrie and then the above route on Monday evening after the first smash. Interesting drive in the dark, maybe quite stunning in daylight.

Last time we were down the road we had a lovely meal in Howies Bistro in Dunkeld, so there is places to stop if you look.

The road aint the problem, its the drivers.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

It goes through St Louis, down through Missouri....
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    U'ey - Dunkeld, Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Braemar, left at Bridge of Glairn, Tomahaish, Cock Bridge, Speybridge, Duthil, Bogroy -.
    Flagstaff Arizona, don't forget Winona, Kingsman, Barstow, San Bernadino........

Welcome back B and P - veterans of the A9 run! Sounds like a dice with death. Been 3 years since I did the run - it is a long drive!

As above,some drivers need to be recalled to resit license,ive witnessed some shocking driving going from wick to thurso! It's not the road that is the issue.

I Think bekisman has a point. During the summer I can be driving that road every weekend. Down Friday after work and up Sunday evening after a show has finished and the packing up has been done. The lack of rest stops can be a real problem. Leaving the central belt at six or after on a Sunday even in the summer means that once you pass Perth there is almost nothing. Seasoned travellers we make sure we are stocked up but finding a cuppa would be nice. Travelling with kids means a need to stop for a wee more than once too. Last weekend we came up from Pitlochry leaving about 7.30pm. Needless to say 3 yr old needs a wee. It was frankly terrifying to sit in a lay-by whilst daddy took Him for his wee. The traffic thundered past scaring the bejeesus out of me. There are not enough lay-bys which pull you right off the road either.

That said some of the driving was horrendous. I was left open mouthed by the ignorance of slow moving traffic which allowed a queue to build up and just encouraged chance takers. I was horrified by one particular driver pulling a trailer who carried out three of the worst overtaking manoeuvres I have ever seen and the impatience of people knows no bounds. I like to put my foot down when the road conditions allow it but crikey, there was a guy in an Audi passed me like I was doing 30 when I was in fact up at 70.

Drivers are of course responsible for their driving but the people that plan routes and ignore the calls for dualling, also have a responsibility to minimise risk. Rest stops would do this and could help save lives
    Last edited by squidge; 17-Nov-10 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    As above,some drivers need to be recalled to resit license,ive witnessed some shocking driving going from wick to thurso! It's not the road that is the issue.
    Couldn't agree more.

I often make trips down the A9 to Glasgow and now to Edinburgh. It's a bit of a nightmare indeed. People driving slowly are just as bad as the people driving fast. Dualling the road should save a lot of lives.

I usually drive down on a Friday evening and travel back on a Sunday. Going down can be a bit scary but coming home is less so.

I drove back from Edinburgh last Tuesday night after 11pm, just lorries on the road. The road being closed at Pitlochry was confusing, the diversion wasn't the best.

I've seen many people caught out at that little section of "dual carriageway".

A few hundred yards before it there's a "dual carriageway 1 mile ahead" sign that misleads people.

I've often wondered why the road was built that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Like you Beks, I use this road at night, 6 hours into a 9 hour drive it can be very taxing. I have had one near miss when (travelling at 70mph) a lorry overtook me than screeched to a halt on the wrong side of the road. I assume he had fallen asleep and woken up just before he hit my back end
    mostly I think you talk a load of sense but how on earth did a lorry overtake you doing 70?

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Last time we were down the road we had a lovely meal in Howies Bistro in Dunkeld, so there is places to stop if you look.

The road aint the problem, its the drivers.
    My point; what's available during the night? Howies closes at 10pm..

Just been back and checked, and from what I can work out, the stretch we are discussing is from Perth to Inverness.

There is services at both of these cities and its only a couple of hours between the two, surely you can stop for a wee break at either end and if a stop is required in the middle somewhere, then pull off and have a flask.

A llittle bit of planning and its not a problem.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Just been back and checked, and from what I can work out, the stretch we are discussing is from Perth to Inverness.

There is services at both of these cities and its only a couple of hours between the two, surely you can stop for a wee break at either end and if a stop is required in the middle somewhere, then pull off and have a flask.

A llittle bit of planning and its not a problem.
    "a little bit of planning" - my whole point is that one should not have to do a 'little bit of planning'- on any other trunk road in the UK, if one feels like a break, one pulls into a service area - whether it is 10pm or 2am..
    Our trip south between these two points took us six hours, 'fraid did not have 'a flask' with us.. please advise locations of eateries in Inverness and Perth at 3am?
    Our overall journey north originated 400 miles south - so a wee bit difficult to 'plan' a stop if we're - like we often do - going over during the night and find the route blocked.. do you actually have an objection to services being on the A9?
    Having many years experiencing the aftermath of road 'accidents' - in my mind any improvement to road safety is welcome - it's a great pity that Police advice was ignored.

I see Howies has double yellow lines outside - where about do Truckers park their wagons?

We often go down the road overnight.
    Setting off about midnight so the kids sleep on the journey.
    And we dont arrive too early.
    But its usually the stretch between Inverness and Perth that is the worst.
    There is nothing open in Inverness for a stop...and by the time you get to Perth its too far really.
    Same on the way up ..only stop is Perth...until you reach home!
    But south of perth there is stops open 24hrs nearly every 1/2 hour if not less!
    And yes we go prepared with a flask, sandwiches, sweeties, bottles, juice and a potty etc!
    Last edited by Dadie; 17-Nov-10 at 12:08.

The A9 between Inverness and Perth is not a good road and it helps to make bad drivers worse. We should all be gurning about lack of facilities, there are none. It is OK to plan and take a flask with you, but that is no substitute for a service station, where you can park safely, stretch your legs, go to the toilet, and have a pleasant sit down with good cup of coffee in warm surroundings.

The road was very badly designed, it is so confusing, half the time you are busy trying to remember if you are on a stretch of dual carriageway or not. That sort of thing does not lead to confident driving no matter what standard of driver you are. I must admit that I am much more confident driving north of Inverness simply because I know that it is a terrible road and I treat it accordingly. South of Inverness the driving is misleading, some areas you get the impression you are on a motorway and before you know it you are back on a single road. This does not lead to good positive driving.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast