Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cornelius Class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cornelius Class

Has anyone heard how the above Dutchman came to be living in Caithness? Probably before 1800 I think. Also would love to know what part of Holland he came from. It is a big ask I know........My husband is Dutch so I have a particular interest. Cornelius was my grandmother's grandfather I understand. She was Lillias J Class and married Alexander Clyne 22.9.1899. Any information gratefully received. My mother Lillias Clyne also, came out from Scotland to NZ around 1925. Daphne.van

Default Cornelius Class

Have you seen janeytgee's recent post on this forum? There is reference to Lilias Class there.
    spittalhill

I think there is some information about Cornelius Class in the "Book of Lybster" by Donald Young

Default Cornelius Class

There is also an earlier post on Cornelius C on 27 Mar 2005.
    spittalhill

Default Class

Had a quick look through the Latheron OPR's and came up with the following
    6 Dec 1820 Catharine Cornelius Class
    27 Feb 1824 Janet C Class
    8 Jan 1841 Cornelius C Class & Christian/ Chirsty Nicoll
    23 Sep 1842 Peter C class & Chirsty nicoll
    3 Jan 1845 Janet C Class & Chirsty Nicoll
    All Lybster
    21 Nov 1845 Humphrey Thomson married Cath Class Lybster

Default Cornelius Class

According to Donald Young's Book, Class Cornelius as he was known at that time, arrived in Lybster c 1810. In 1809, there was a scheme to attract Dutch fishermen to Lybster where the herring fishing was booming, to make use, particularly of their fish curing expertise. In 1815 Cornelius Class, as he now became known, married Janet Sutherland of Clyth.Their great-grandson, also Cornelius Class lived in the community until his death in 1950. There is also information in the book on locations where Class family members lived from the 19thC.
    I think therefore it is safe to assume that Cornelius came from a fishing community in Holland.
    spittalhill