Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paypal unauthorised transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Paypal IS

Paypal will give you the money back i-regardless if the person who sold you the item has money in their account or not, they will then use their details to get the money back from them (hence the reason for their high fees).

I can assure you that is not the case.

I will dig out an email I got from paypal and post it here.

I would have been protected if the purchase had been through a trusted seller on ebay, but was not because it was through another website. The seller had emptied their account and I lost my money.

where else can you open a dispute if an item arrives in a condition that is not as it should be, or you simply don't receive the item ?

ANY purchase over £100 on a Visa or Mastercard etc and you can demand a "chargeback" from your credit card company. That is the law.

and dont say ebay, because their system is pants and not worth going down that road, for ebay matters, go straight to paypal.
    Paypal is owned by eBay.

As promised, here's the response I got from Paypal after my goods never arrived:

Dear xxxxx,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
    Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
    funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
    recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
    question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
    and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
    include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
    account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
    member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
    we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
    our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

-----------------------------------
    Transaction Details

Seller's Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Seller's Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Seller's Transaction ID: xxx

Transaction Date: 11 Sep 2008
    Transaction Amount: -481.73 GBP
    Invoice ID: xxxx
    Your Transaction ID: xxxx
    Case Number: xxxx
    Buyer's Transaction ID: xxxxx

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

I was of the opinion that Paypal was safe. I now only use them through eBay, where you are protected, and use credit cards elsewhere.

I can only go by my own experiences, I had only 1 bad experience until about 4 months back.

I had 2 sellers fold on me and not send me the goods, and both i was refunded via paypal, both sellers had closed there ebay site and i was surprised to get my money back (they were both big sellers)..

I didn't realize that eBay owned PayPal, but i still stand by my logic, it's better to open a dispute directly from PayPal than from eBay, it's a more direct route and it makes the offending party think about sorting it out a lot quicker.
    STAY IN TUNE

OUCH, £480.................

got to laugh at this bit :

We hope you understand our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

I see why you have an issue with them, pffff i would be raging. Was this a UK transaction ?
    STAY IN TUNE

Yip,

It hurt, I can assure you.

The reason you got your money back is because you purchased through ebay. Paypal "guarantees" ebay transactions. Because I bought outside ebay, no protection.

The don't seem to make that too visible when signing up!

Did you pay by credit card into the paypal account? if you did you can claim 50% - 100% back from the credit card company.

"Paypal only guarantees e bay payments subject to conditions", if you read the small print you have to open the dispute within the time period and subject to lots of conditions.

It is very important if using pay pal that you pay into it with a credit card.

I had a problem with e bay with an order from a false company in Manachester, the goods were delayed, when I contacted the company they responded saying that they had not arrived from the suppliers and would be another 10 days before delivery. When they did not arrive I contacted e bay and pay pal about it and they said it had past their claim deadline.

I then contact previous members who had left comments on the two members when buying or selling goods telling them the problem and very soon I had their names and addresses, however one of the responses had a similar thing happen and he had informed e-bay about their fraudently activities within the time period.

Therefore it could have been argued that e-bay should have informed all other members who had purchased goods. Both e-bay and paypal London address can be found by internet search but it is very difficult getting any information, you are put on hold sent to another department put on hold.

To cut a long story short, I did get all my money back but it did take about 5 months. I had used e-bay for over 10 years with no problems but if you are using them, look at the feedback from various members and the price of the goods the feedback relates to, in the above case most of the goods were worth pence so for less than £100 they both had excellent feedback of 100+.

Never buy goods that are not going to be delivered within two weeks and just go ahead and open a dispute dont be fobbed off with excuses.

I have not purchased from there since I only use a credit card for on line shopping its much safer.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Welcomefamily,

I wouldn't be put off using ebay because of what has happened, I would just be careful how you pay.

Pay by paypal, but never pay "out of your account", always add your funds at checkout using your credit card. That way you are still protected by the consumer credit act.

It is no coincidence that paypal encourage you to add funds direct from a back account, only using a credit card as a "backup source. Paypal knows that you can issue a "chargeback" through your credit card but not through your bank.

had a problem a couple of years back when my card had been cloned, as I funded my paypal account via my bank account the girl at the bank advised me to stop doing this. THe people who cloned the bank card were able to get into the paypal account, change the password etc etc.

Paypal were less than helpful, they want to do it all via email and dont like answering the phone ! eventually got it all sorted, got it all refunded and now NEVER fund paypal via the bank. If paying into paypal via a credit card always remember to go back into paypal and take the card BACK OFF the site as it likes to store it for next time ....

K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12