Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal unauthorised transactions.

Default Paypal unauthorised transactions.

Received numerous emails from paypal today regarding unauthorised transactions from my account. I was requested to change my password etc. which I have done. When I logged in to my account I see several transaction have occured. The culprit, direct2driveuk. Fortunately paypal are aware of this. Not so sure I will do more online shopping. Really, how secure are your details?

Has this happened to anyone else?
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Oh dear. When you went to change your password, did you do it by clicking a link in the email, or by typing the url into your browser? Also did you see these fraudulent transactions before or after you changed your password? If you clicked on a link and did it, you may have been at a fake version of the PayPal site, which has grabbed your information.

I logged in to paypal account via browser. It then gave me option to change my personal details.
    Also the name of the Guy is Kevin Ishimoto.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

sounds as if you have been spoofed...best to change your password and any emails from what looks like Paypal should be forwared to spoof@paypal.com and never click on any links.
    Paypal will let you know if it was a spoof email and they will be able to track where the fake came from and block the address.

I never click on a link in an email like this. It's always safer to log on through your normal log on page
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

I never clicked on any link, and the email did not ask me to. I typed url into browser then signed in to email account.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    I never clicked on any link, and the email did not ask me to. I typed url into browser then signed in to email account.
    What address did you type in the Browser?

Why did you sign into e-mail accout?

The e-mail that was suppoed to be from PayPal Who was it addressed to? It sounds fishy to me.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    What address did you type in the Browser?

Why did you sign into e-mail accout?

The e-mail that was suppoed to be from PayPal Who was it addressed to? It sounds fishy to me.
    paypal.co.uk,
    singed into email account to read my emails, why else?
    Email was obviously addressed to me.

did u have any previous subscriptions with this company?

i personally have never had any problems with paypal. its the safest way to shop online.

Never have, my paypal account is showing payments I have made and payments refunded. My account is also restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Xposin View Post

i personally have never had any problems with paypal. its the safest way to shop online.
    Be careful, Paypal is definately not the safest way to shop online.

If you buy something through a website with paypal and it doesn't arrive, you open a dispute with paypal. Paypal listen to you and them, then decide who wins through this "resolution centre".

If you "win" Paypal will take the cash out of the sellers paypal account to refund you. If their account is empty, you'll get nothing. In the month between you ordering the item and the resoltion centre decision, there's a good chance that any dodgy seller will be long gone with your money.

I've experienced this myself.

Paypal is good for ebay, but for anything else (over £100) you are safer using a credit card. That way you're protected by the consumer credit act and claim any lost monies direct from VISA/Mastercard, not from the seller who has disappeared.

Never have, my paypal account is showing payments I have made and payments refunded. My account is also restricted.
    One common mistake often made, and Im not suggesting you have made it, is using the same password for many sites.

If you do, every site you are registered to has your email address and your only password, therefore access to your paypal account.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause here, but I recommend everyone keeps their "normal" password different from their email/money site passwords.

Honestly don't think it's a scam. Some how someone managed to get in to my account. When i logged it tonight, i saw my last log in was 4.05 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    One common mistake often made, and Im not suggesting you have made it, is using the same password for many sites.

If you do, every site you are registered to has your email address and your only password, therefore access to your paypal account.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause here, but I recommend everyone keeps their "normal" password different from their email/money site passwords.
    How did this site get my details anyway? Never heard of them before now.

How did this site get my details anyway? Never heard of them before now.
    There's many ways.

Maybe they simply guessed your password. If it's "password" then they probably have!

Is it the same password you use for other sites? For example Caithness.org has your email address and password. If its the same password as paypal, then the admin at Caithness.org could log into your paypal account. Not that I think they would though!

But how many other sites have you used with a password? All it would take is one dodgy site to sell your email and password details, or even for that site to be hacked, and criminals have your paypal account.

Keeping your passwords safe is the best thing you can do for security, and having two email addresses, one for shopping sites and one for forums etc reduces the risk of fraud.

I never open any emails that come from paypal.always delete them and then log into my paypal account directly as have recieved many scam ones over the years.
    If there is the same message there then I will take action but so far have never had to change my details in the ten years that I have been using the system.
    Last edited by Kenn; 05-Nov-10 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post

If you "win" Paypal will take the cash out of the sellers paypal account to refund you. If their account is empty, you'll get nothing. In the month between you ordering the item and the resoltion centre decision, there's a good chance that any dodgy seller will be long gone with your money.

I've experienced this myself.

I have experienced the exact opposite. I had bought something in the states which never arrived. I opened a dispute. In the resolution e-mail, paypal informed me that they were refunding me and were trying to chase up the seller who had upped sticks and would not communicate.

Given the choices out there and my experience with paypal, I prefer to use them.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    I have experienced the exact opposite. I had bought something in the states which never arrived. I opened a dispute. In the resolution e-mail, paypal informed me that they were refunding me and were trying to chase up the seller who had upped sticks and would not communicate.

Given the choices out there and my experience with paypal, I prefer to use them.
    I take it this was an ebay transaction?

Yes, for ebay, paypal is great. You are protected.

It was non-ebay transactions I was referring to, websites that offer paypal as a means of payment at checkout.

I always use paypal for ebay too.

i had this problem too, i received an email form "paypall" and then i had to go onto a website that looked like paypal's but it was not https only http, alway check it before you enter any personal details. fortunately i never went further, it was a scam

Paypal IS the safest way to shop online, period, where else can you open a dispute if an item arrives in a condition that is not as it should be, or you simply don't receive the item ? and dont say ebay, because their system is pants and not worth going down that road, for ebay matters, go straight to paypal.

Paypal will give you the money back i-regardless if the person who sold you the item has money in their account or not, they will then use their details to get the money back from them (hence the reason for their high fees).

My opinion.

Just to add, anyone who gets scammed in this day an age, needs a reality check. Make good passwords and don't get complacent.
    Last edited by M R; 06-Nov-10 at 03:48.
    STAY IN TUNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast