Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hot water pastry question

Default Hot water pastry question

First let me say

'I HATE THE BLIDDY STUFF'

Tried making stand (pork) pies tonight, the recipe suggests moulding the pastry round the outside of a jam jar, cooling in the fridge and then prising off gently - didn't work..... it crumbled apart.

Went a googling

Anither recipe says let the pastry go cold and roll out but it starts cracking up (just like me).

In the end I pressed it into a pie dish with my fingers and did my best to flatten out a lid, time will tell how it comes out of the oven, but at least I managed to get the bliddy filling in.

MY question is ..... does anyone know of any easy ways of dealing with hot water pastry, every site tells a different tale.

Realy glad now that I decided to do a trial run afore christmas.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Hmm made a game pie once - Delias recipe- you cook it in a cake tin I think then when it's partially cooked take it out the tin egg wash it and finish the cooking. You should check her website see if it's there. It worked a treat and you should be able to use her recipe and the filling of your choice. Good luck xxx

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    First let me say

'I HATE THE BLIDDY STUFF'

Tried making stand (pork) pies tonight, the recipe suggests moulding the pastry round the outside of a jam jar, cooling in the fridge and then prising off gently - didn't work..... it crumbled apart.

Went a googling

Anither recipe says let the pastry go cold and roll out but it starts cracking up (just like me).

In the end I pressed it into a pie dish with my fingers and did my best to flatten out a lid, time will tell how it comes out of the oven, but at least I managed to get the bliddy filling in.

MY question is ..... does anyone know of any easy ways of dealing with hot water pastry, every site tells a different tale.

Realy glad now that I decided to do a trial run afore christmas.
    You've got to work with it whilst its hot,
    if you upturn a tin or patty tins and mould around those, it's so much easier to remove, you just upturn the tin/s, or you could parrtly bake blind before removing the tin,
    that way you keep the shape, and before finishing baking and before filling, lightly brush the inside of your pastry moulds with a little beaten egg white to ensure that the case is sealed.
    Hope this helps,