Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waxwings in garden

Default Waxwings in garden

Just seen about 30 of these in my garden, they were flying between a tree and bushes (guess they were feeding) and they then sat in the tree for ages, Wasn't sure what they were so had a look on here at photos and also on the RSPB finder & definately them, listened to them for a while, lovely birds, shame I couldn't get photos as its dusk

Brilliant.
    It was waxwings that gave me a buzz for birds about 20 year ago. Prior to that I never say anything other than a starling or a gull. I saw 3 of them and thought they had escaped from an aviery. I started to notice birds after that.

I've just gone a delicate shade of green, have spent many an hour looking but not so much as a feather.

Wasn't even looking, just happened to look out of the window as they all flew in, thought they were starlings or something at first then when they were flitting in and out of the tree I noticed the colour and went out to investigate, just a shame I couldn't get a photo

Waxwings are pouring out of northern europe at the moment. Sightings are coming in to bird guides from all over the UK. We have the best flocks we have had for ages on this side of the water so im sure ther must be plenty about Caithness as well. One of the best ways to attract them to your garden is to offer them fruit. Apples halfed and spiked up in bushes or chopped up on the bird table or lawn can bring in foraging birds. This is a seasonal treat so i would advise you to get the fruit out and see what comes about....good watching!!

dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

You lucky person I have never ever seen one but the fruit goes out tomorrow.

Just posted on another similar thread- Saw a Wax Wing for the first time today in our garden in Roster ( Near Lybster) Only the one though.
    Will also put out fruit tomorrow as suggested

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I've just gone a delicate shade of green, have spent many an hour looking but not so much as a feather.
    LIZZ I saw one about fifty meters from your house yesterday.
    Reay has always been a good spot for them.
    Find their call on the net and listen to it. Then go outside and listen for it. Seems like a major invasion this year and its early too.

Dafi That has to be my favouriote photo ever put on the org.
    Away with the birds

Cheers Kas im truely flattered!!

Here is a link to here the calls, Listening for the distinctive calls is one of the best ways to find a flock near you. Once you have you wont ever forget it again!!

http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=10
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Stunning shot dafi...............
    GRRRRR kas, I will be listening with both ears the next few days but with the racket the geese and swans have been making I will be lucky to catch that sound!

Came across a small flock, about 15 to 20 of them late yesterday afternoon at Proudfoot. All sitting in a bush and they let us get very close before flying off across the bay.

Default re waxwings

6 or 7 waxwings feeding on berries in a bush at Haster on Monday,

It that Proudfoot rd in Wick as i live around that area ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf1961 View Post
    It that Proudfoot rd in Wick as i live around that area ?
    Yes, they were in some bushes beside the path leading to the north head. It was their song that I first noticed.

about 20 sitting in a garden in Keiss this morning.

Have never been lucky enough to see Waxwings but will put fruit out in the hope that I will. Unfortunately can't put fruit on my lawn as my dog will eat it!

I agree with Kas in that your photo is stunning Dafi!

Default Waxwings

Cracking shot Dafi.

I saw a 5 in flight over Thurso on Monday but finally caught up with a flock of 72 this afternoon at Thurso East (roadside next to Lady Janet's Wood).

Latest Lifer: #4164 - Madagascar Rail (Rallus madagascariensis) - Mantadia, Madagascar (09/10/10)

What berries are they feasting on, in general - looks like rowans in the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    What berries are they feasting on, in general - looks like rowans in the picture
    I think these are hawthorn berries.
    Latest Lifer: #4164 - Madagascar Rail (Rallus madagascariensis) - Mantadia, Madagascar (09/10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by nemosia View Post
    I think these are hawthorn berries.
    Fantastic photos.
    Definately candidates for bird of the month photo.
    If I had to choose it would be dafis little and large, but only choost.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast