Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: compost bins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default compost bins

Does anyone know where I could get a wooden compost bin to replace the old coal bunker, (with the bottom falling out- not ideal) that I am using at the moment? I've tried our local garden centres without much luck.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Rheghead,

Hi - I have always found that old pallets make the best compost bins. Fix three together (slats facing in, obviously) to form the sides and back. Then simply tie a fourth on for the front. Cover with some old sacking or tarp.

I have one of those council plastic jobs right now and it is totally pants! Takes a couple of years for anything to rot down.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

yep... ricco speaks sense... go for pallets and hot composting...

I have one of the plastic ones as well and it is 'pants'. Had stuff in it since last year and no further on. I got pallets last week but not sure how to fix them together

Thanks for all the replys. It was my other half that posted the post though my username and oh dear, she has got a couple of plastic compost bins. She says that the instructions say to pile the contents on the sides of the bin for maximum effect. Do you think that will make a difference?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 07-Aug-06 at 18:10.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I wouldn't like to say but my experience is that the stuff I put in there (mostly soft hedge, grass clippings and tattie peel) is still not rotted yet. I have it on bare ground too so the worms can get in but ........
    I'm busy trying to think of an alternative use for the thing!!