Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wick's First Music Festival - Where Is the Publicity

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    Seeing as very little is (was) known about the Wick 'thang' - the nature of the event and its timing - I wouldn't call it cynicism... more searching for the truth.
    As ma owlde mither used to say Pepsi, feels an bairns shouldna see things half done. Very well publicised all over the town the North and the media in plenty of time.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

The week of the gig is hardly what I'd call plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid
    The week of the gig is hardly what I'd call plenty of time.
    You call it what you want. Time will tell.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I'm not saying there won't be a big turn out. I'm saying that more of an effort could have been made to advertise earlier.

festival ??

dont make me laugh, not a decent band there.
    most of them got brown noses too...

I wont be going, got no eggs to throw..

I'm not saying there won't be a big turn out. I'm saying that more of an effort could have been made to advertise earlier.
    Radio, TV, banner accross town, posters on almost every lampost, almost every shop, fly posting in car parks, fly posting to houses, businesses, B&B's, hotels, hospitals, newspaper coverage...

If no-one turns up then the joke is on us, but experience with past events teaches us that selling tickets in advance and spending months promoting an event isn't the most efficient way to do it, it's expensive and very difficult to get volunteers on a continual basis. If people decide to go to Thurso Gala instead, they would have decided that months ago, same with the Mey games - our plan was simple, mass publicity at the latest possible moment to whip up a frenzy. Even if no-one turns up, it has worked the way we intended - every shop, every petrol station, hotel & B&B is talking about, just stand in a queue and you'll see...

There have been some cock-ups no doubt, but to put on a concert of this scale with the organisation being done by only two people who both have full time jobs is well...no easy job. If no-one turns up then you'll get a great practice session in the outdoors with an 8kw PA.

Have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by wick-festival
    Radio, TV, banner accross town, posters on almost every lampost, almost every shop, fly posting in car parks, fly posting to houses, businesses, B&B's, hotels, hospitals, newspaper coverage...

If no-one turns up then the joke is on us, but experience with past events teaches us that selling tickets in advance and spending months promoting an event isn't the most efficient way to do it, it's expensive and very difficult to get volunteers on a continual basis. If people decide to go to Thurso Gala instead, they would have decided that months ago, same with the Mey games - our plan was simple, mass publicity at the latest possible moment to whip up a frenzy. Even if no-one turns up, it has worked the way we intended - every shop, every petrol station, hotel & B&B is talking about, just stand in a queue and you'll see...

There have been some cock-ups no doubt, but to put on a concert of this scale with the organisation being done by only two people who both have full time jobs is well...no easy job. If no-one turns up then you'll get a great practice session in the outdoors with an 8kw PA.

Have fun...
    There is a lot to be said for that style of promotion
    The Thurso one probably needs a reinvigoration now of promotion as we have been going a wee while with adverts
    People do see it and after a while start to forget and blank the posters out from their minds

Every event management person/Team tries what they think is best when it comes to promotion - -its the hardest part - -and a lot of thought goes into it and how you will approach it

As an organiser of the Thurso one i think now we are in the position having mass marketed a few weeks ago we need to reemphasise The Big Gig again

So from me its Good Luck, I like your style of short but mass marketing and will be stealing the idea next week - - Look out Thurso lamposts

Also your posters are excellent - -Very imaginative and creative, I'll be discussing that with you for future events

So Wickers ( obviously just the ones who dont want to enjoy the attractions of Thurso Gala and Mey Games ) GET OUT AND SUPPORT IT, It will be great and if you like it that much come and hear some of them again next week

If i could be there i would but im stuck in the gala office in Thurso

THIS IS NOT WICK VERSUS THURSO ( These days are dead and never served any good purpose)

Its Charities trying to do the best for their particular charities
    That can never be knocked.
    We can all co-exist and make a few quid and give good entertainment at the same time
    The public should be happy who can say nothing ever happens
    This summers never been so busy for events of all sorts of kinds

Ive spoken to the organisers and they have fantatstic long term ideas if this works out and maybe we will all work on some kind of 'Caithness Music Extravaganza' in the future - -after we have recovered from the Wick and Thurso organisation - -and maybe i can use some of the bands i couldnt squeeze in this time

GOOD LUCK ORGANISERS
    --GET ALONG --
    Pay a Fiver, support a good cause and
    HAVE A GOOD DAY OUT
    BEST WISHES FROM "THE BIG GIG" in Thurso

Talking

i think i have just realised that most of the promotion has been in wick for the wick festival. i have only seen two posters in thurso one in good vibe and ....the other escapes my golfish like memory but i didnt even know it was happening until jeid brought it up about 2 week back.

Has to be said though, the timing of this festival is abysmal. Not only is it on the same night as the Thurso Gala procession, but it also coincides with Prince Charles' visit to the Castle Of Mey and the Mey Games.

People don't realise the size of a Police presence that is required for these events, and the Northern Constabulary are pushed to the limits as it is. I for one hope that there are no serious incidents, and that things pass smoothly.

The prerequisite for a festival of this size surely is safety. With no form of crowd control due to the lack of crowd barriers, relying solely on stewardship is folly of the highest order.

I am certainly not convinced by the organisation of this event. A fly-by-night operation at best, and the attitude shown in this thread by 'wick-festival' certainly do nothing to smooth my furrowed brow.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcGill
    Has to be said though, the timing of this festival is abysmal. Not only is it on the same night as the Thurso Gala procession, but it also coincides with Prince Charles' visit to the Castle Of Mey and the Mey Games.

People don't realise the size of a Police presence that is required for these events, and the Northern Constabulary are pushed to the limits as it is. I for one hope that there are no serious incidents, and that things pass smoothly.

The prerequisite for a festival of this size surely is safety. With no form of crowd control due to the lack of crowd barriers, relying solely on stewardship is folly of the highest order.

I am certainly not convinced by the organisation of this event. A fly-by-night operation at best, and the attitude shown in this thread by 'wick-festival' certainly do nothing to smooth my furrowed brow.
    Security guards in hi-viz, fences for crowd control and a police presence. Extra security for the evening session.

There's certainly no attitude coming from this end, given the comments we've been pretty nice.

Ta.

Wink

why wasnt local bands asked too play?? having seen the band list earlier in the week its no wonder there was a poor reception by my fellow wickers, utterly predictable coz you dont care too think off who people want too hear play...

this would off been my band list:

STORM
    howling gales
    kw1
    jackie mcmasters band.
    mikie magee etc etc..

or do you have to be in the Ian Sinclair Rythm an Blues appreciation society...

whats wrong with throwing out a hand too good bands instead off trying to keep them down,
    the bands above have there own ORIGINAL sets. why not invite these bands too play said music too an audience who will appreciate it... nuff said
    Last edited by Kristafur; 05-Aug-06 at 20:35.

Security guards in hi-viz, fences for crowd control and a police presence. Extra security for the evening session.
    'Security guards'? Explain. You mean 'Stewards', don't you? Not exactly trained for an emergency, especially if recruited locally.

Now we come to this Police presence you have mentioned.

How many police exactly? Given that the Northen Constabulary are extremely busy right now with Thurso Gala, and the high security Mey Games, on top of their usual busy Saturday night cover. I suspect you are being somewhat economic with the truth here.

How many para-medics are on duty? In fact, what safety measures have been taken. Are these 'fences' suitable, instead of crush-barriers (which of course are in short supply due to Thurso Gala and the Mey Games...)?

The wisdom of the organisation of this event needs to be called into question, on many many different counts.

There's certainly no attitude coming from this end, given the comments we've been pretty nice.

Ta.
    Some sentient, believable answers would certainly have dispelled any (or some) of the doubts that have been aired here. But instead we have been spoon-fed utter tripe and expected to believe unconditionally.

I for one, am not impressed.

What kind of disturbance were you expecting in Wick? It seemed like a pretty peaceable town to me. It took me awhile to get used to the safety of the place, but I was soon comfortable on the streets by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    What kind of disturbance were you expecting in Wick? It seemed like a pretty peaceable town to me. It took me awhile to get used to the safety of the place, but I was soon comfortable on the streets by myself.

Aye, but walking the streets is certainly different from standing in a field full of drunk people on a Saturday night.

Any large gathering of people has to be policed and controlled properly, for safety reasons above anything else. Any fool can see this.

(Nice humour though!)

I didn't really feel threatened by anyone, but it definately should have been policed.

The potential disturbers aside, how was the show?

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    The potential disturbers aside, how was the show?
    indeed, how was it????

Golspie gala was a mental night or I might have had a look down

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr
    indeed, how was it????

Golspie gala was a mental night or I might have had a look down
    I never went but I've heard plenty of people saying today, they had a good night last night and everyone was wondering if it's going to be on again? I wish I had gone now.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

The sound was abysmal Isaac. I think the sound people were pushed with what limited resources they had.

No bass rig was supplied either... not a good start.

It was fun playing, but all in all, from what I saw anyway, it could have been a lot better.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

The sound was abysmal Isaac. I think the sound people were pushed with what limited resources they had.

No bass rig was supplied either... not a good start.

It was fun playing, but all in all, from what I saw anyway, it could have been a lot better.
    that's a shame

ne'er mind it's all educational for next time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast