Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wick's First Music Festival - Where Is the Publicity

Default Wick's First Music Festival - Where Is the Publicity

Can anyone tell me anything about this festival that is apparently happneing on Saturday 5th August.

First I knew about it wa when I was handed leaflet along with detailsof the Seven Gates on Friday evening.

I have had lots of information about the Big Gig at the Dammies in Thurso on 13th August but nothing at alll about a festival in Wick. The leaflet even says tickets from The gate and online at www.caithness.org Either this is a hoax or someone somewhere is falling down onthe advertising/publicity. I have not seen any posters for this event and know nothing of any of the 15 bands the leaflet says are playing on the day.

If anyone knows who is organising this can they let me know even if it is a bit late in the day for 5 August.

The leaflet does not say who is organising the event or have any contact details at all.

If this is festival is on it says it runs from 2.00pm until 1.am at the Riverside.

The idea is fine but the PR is non existent until this leaflet or have I missed something? We are always happy to advertise local events but someone need to let us know when it is on etc. Nothing has been added to the what's on on the web site? This all follows the usual line we hae seen with many bands over the years since we started the web site. Many of them fall down on the publicity and everyone assumes someone else is doing it. So 15 bands and nothing sent to us so it - looks like everyone is once again assuming someone else is doing it.

There is still time to put something on the web site if anyone cares to get in touch.

Hope it all goes well and the weather holds up.

Listening to MFR last night coming home from work at approx 1am and they were talking about the gig and they too quoted this site as a place for more info

I'll forward you on an e-mail address Bill. My band are playing at it, but I have no idea who else is playing. I have no idea how much it costs etc.

all stitched up are playing at it and estrella also. then a band from wick, all guy band, not sure there name. theres no advertising at all though i was told it was being talked bout on the radio. not sure who else though

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid
    I'll forward you on an e-mail address Bill. My band are playing at it, but I have no idea who else is playing. I have no idea how much it costs etc.
    Last I heard, we're playing at it too. Have no more info than you guys though.

Default Information

I received an email from Phillip Wilson saying an email sent a couple of weeks ago. I never received it.

the leaflet I have seen says tickets from Caithness.org. We know absolutely nothing about this. He also says something is on this board. As do notlookat this section very often that is daft way to let us know about a music festival.

Can some get something to move to let us know what is on on Saturday - list of bands - etc etc.

I emailed back immediately this morning after I was asked to confirm I received the email but still nothing has come back.

It seems odd to me to have two music festivals one after the other but maybe that is OK as they are in different towns. Will is cut the audience for both festivals?

We are happy to advertise anythingin Caithness but someone has to get the information to us. It seems to be very difficult for this event.

Default maybe..

..we should get it on Caithness.org.

Perhaps next year if they are planning to make this an annual event like Thurso Town Improvements as part of the participation in Highland 2007 Year Of Culture they could contact us and we could maybe collaborate and make a weekend of it showing off bands from all over the county and maybe attracting a major headline act

I have to say the response we have had from the local bands has been fantastic and i am delighted with their attitude, approach, and suggestions and they have really helped pull it together and worked with us on the style of the day, advertising, equipment etc- -Thanks ALL

To all the bands playing at both events Good Luck and hope it all goes well for both events ( for my sake im praying every night The Big Gig does) and the charities profit from all the hard work that goes into making this happen - -Maybe the Wick Organisers can get in touch with us if the fancy a collaboration next year !

THE BIG GIG @The Dammies 13th August Noon -10pm
    FREE ADMISSION, ALL AGES WELCOME
    LICENSED BAR
    For Further details See www.thurso.org for details or http://www.caithness.org/fpb/july2006/dammies.htm
    Local Press, MFR and posters everywhere
    Last edited by Gogglebox; 02-Aug-06 at 21:27.

Default Info received

I now have all the information regarding the Wick Music Festival and wil have it on the site by tonight. Other things on today mean it must wait till this evening. 15 bands are listed for the event.

Thanks to all who got in touch follwoing my request for info.

Well, well, well...

Not only is the Belladrum festival taking place on the same weekend as the Thurso Big Gig (a casual oversight, and no real big deal, really), it now looks as if Wick have performed a professional foul and put on their own 'Big Gig', so to speak. Is this for real? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a wind-up; however, knowing the rivalry between the two towns - or Wick's petted lip in this case I presume - it's hardly surprising. To have pretty much the same bands playing at a similar sized outdoor event within a week(?) of each other is just crazy. No, really, it is. The county can barely subsidise to towns of this size, and to try and entice people to come to both within such a small time frame is just taking the wee-wee. For example, a band who play King Tuts in Glasgow for example, wouldn't be allowed to play another Glasgow venue a week before their Tuts show. Why? Because you wouldn't attract as many people. Maybe next year Wick and Thurso should join forces and put on a gig jointly organised. No? Me neither. A bit like putting a few Edinburgh Festival shows in Glasgow. Madness.

Yeah, it's for real. What I find unreal is the price. £5? Why? Really... why?

I think the Thurso gig has the upper hand on this part. Wait 7 days and see the bands at gig that costs nothing. What a deal.

Most people from Thurso won't be heading through I think. Gala night in Thurso on the 5th. Something I tried to make them aware of but they took no notice.

A fiver? That really does raise the bar of idiocy. Good luck to the Wick gig team, but I wouldn't bank on it being a success, no matter how they measure it. To hell with it anyway, Jeid, come Big Gig time it'll be us having all the fun. Back in the late 80s/ early 90s Thurso had, probably, the most diverse and ecletic bands... ever. Back then, everyone helped each other out, rarely bitched and always supported each others' shows. When I moved to Edinburgh I thought it would be a smililar scenario. No deal. It actually proved to me, that, Thurso had one of the best music scenes in Scotland at any time. I hope that all the bands taking part on the day - and even the ones who aren't - all get together, get the craic, share a few beers and appreciate each others' music. I will, anyway. You with me?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    A fiver? That really does raise the bar of idiocy. Good luck to the Wick gig team, but I wouldn't bank on it being a success, no matter how they measure it. To hell with it anyway, Jeid, come Big Gig time it'll be us having all the fun. Back in the late 80s/ early 90s Thurso had, probably, the most diverse and ecletic bands... ever. Back then, everyone helped each other out, rarely bitched and always supported each others' shows. When I moved to Edinburgh I thought it would be a smililar scenario. No deal. It actually proved to me, that, Thurso had one of the best music scenes in Scotland at any time. I hope that all the bands taking part on the day - and even the ones who aren't - all get together, get the craic, share a few beers and appreciate each others' music. I will, anyway. You with me?
    Ach Pepsi, you'd bring tears to the eye of a tattie. In 1956 there was the Burnside Stompers and no-one else. Then came the Teenagers from two streets away and the battle began. Enemies immediately. Nothing has changed since. Both bands came from the Glebe BTW.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

We live for that kind of... can't say it... but yeah, we'll be up for that malarky!

I think the Wick Festival is to raise funds for their Memorial Garden and knowing the community spirit in Wick they will get a good support. And it being the summer, I think both events will attract a lot of people even with similar bands.

Fair dos, Ann; however it does seem mightly suspicious.

i have seen posters for this event and heard about it on MFr. It is £5 for adults and £3 for children, beer tent and food all day and lots of music.

Aye, they've only gone up this week.

Default For Pepsi Challenge

Fair dos, Ann; however it does seem mightly suspicious.
    Oh dear Pepsi challenge, cynicism in one so young is truly a disappointment
    to the soul.

Seeing as very little is (was) known about the Wick 'thang' - the nature of the event and its timing - I wouldn't call it cynicism... more searching for the truth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast