Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: christmas fare; turkey

Default christmas fare; turkey

i know alot off people enjoy a beef rib or gammon joint on christmas day but i am quite stuck on turkey, christmas isnt christmas without a turkey breast wrapped in a lattice of streaky bacon with a inch of good stuffing below that.

whilst living in england for a few years i bought delicious free range bronze turkeys oven ready from a local farm shop, they were not cheap at £12p/kg but i think for the flavour and texture they were worth every penny.

however, despite trying all the butchers in the area and demanding their finest fowl i have become very disheartened, event those who claimed to get in "the best" sold me nothing more than mass grown whites!

i hear friends complain that turkey is "dry and tastless, takes to long to cook" and i can understand why with whats on offer.

does anyone have the same problem? i dont want the butchers £6p/kg rubbish, i would gladly pay £12p/kg for that luxury bird, wouldnt you?
    Last edited by jarra124; 19-Oct-10 at 20:10.

Each year I buy a 18lb fresh turkey from the Castletown butcher shop. Never had any complaints, really tasty.

I live in Castletown and never had a prob from our butcher - don't doubt the meat, are you sure it's not the user??....Maybe time to try something different?...........Don't wanna be rude but the meat in Caithness is some of the best you will taste.....

Maybe ur meat was left over from thanksgiving!

I always bought my turkey from the butcher at Castletown and it was very very good. If in doubt though you could order online i guess.

We always have turkey for christmas - in fact in the 25 years i have been cooking Christmas dinner I have only twice cooked anything other than turkey. This year however we are having roast rolled sirloin of beef and a turkey crown to please my hubby who has just announced that "i dont really like turkey"????????????? and to please my boys who say "it isnt Christmas without turkey". sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh i LOVE cooking for christmas - i cant wait - i was too poorly last year to do much but im getting all excited already. Smoked Salmon Pate or Country terrine to start with, and a wonderful chocolate cake for dessert along with a Christmas pud.

And eat ups on Boxing day - fantastic!!!!!

Oh we always get a largish farm chunky chicken.
    Its big enough without being too big and having to eat it for the rest of the week.
    Last year I wasnt in the christmas spirit...especially with Lauren saying on Christmas eve..you are going to have the baby tommorrow in the shed with cows and sheep....that had me up pacing most of the night!

So made an effort for the girls...had dinner in 3 sittings...starter for lunch...dinner at dinnertime(not sure if I wanted to cook it just incase)
    and pudding for supper.

i agree that the lamb, beef, pork and game in caithness are second to none but the turkeys are abysmal!

i can cook any turkey to perfection but perhaps with free range bronze its a case of if you havnt tried it you wouldnt know you were missing.

i didnt realise that turkey could get any better than a butchers white untill i had a free range bronze, and thats a point; i have tried barn raised bronze(ie tescos finest) free range and organic. the free range and organic were the best but equaly so. i certainly wouldnt demand organic, like i would free range.

I have to agree that a free range bronze is by far the best and like you i have tried various types.

Default bronze turkeys

i am rearing them now and will have avaible for xmas

price will depend on weight , biggest being £40 and smallest £25

please pm me for more info

Default Turkeys

Hi I have sent you a PM.
    Graeme.