Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litter purge begins in Highland communities

Arrow Litter purge begins in Highland communities

The Caithness Business Index has posted the following article:

Litter purge begins in Highland communities

Those intent on dropping litter and fly tipping are being given advance notice that enforcement teams will be in Dingwall, Fort William and Inverness over the next two weeks beginning on Monday 25 October - and they will be adopting a zero tolerance approach. Anyone found dropping litter or fly-tipping will be presented with an on-the-spot fixed penalty notice of £50. ... [Read Full Article]

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
    The Caithness Business Index has posted the following article:

Litter purge begins in Highland communities

Those intent on dropping litter and fly tipping are being given advance notice that enforcement teams will be in Dingwall, Fort William and Inverness over the next two weeks beginning on Monday 25 October - and they will be adopting a zero tolerance approach. Anyone found dropping litter or fly-tipping will be presented with an on-the-spot fixed penalty notice of £50. ... [Read Full Article]
    Please can they come to Wick at school lunch time!

This topic is brought to your attention on the General forum as one reported to the Admin/Mods as worthy of discussion. Please feel free to discuss...

I for one would like to see anyone found dropping litter to be handed the task of cleaning up in an orange jumpsuit with the word 'Unclean' for a week- and if that is an old person, or a teenager, it should make no difference
    Bagpuss

Hear Hear, I am all for that, here in Edinburgh, we have our Litter Wardens, and drop a fag end within sight of them, and your fined £40 on the spot, more power to them I say.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by spurtle View Post
    Please can they come to Wick at school lunch time!
    Heartily agree Spurtle! The High School pupils leave a trail of litter and devastation in their wake on their walk back to school every lunchtime.
    Not only do they drop their food wrappers and bottles/cans but they toss leftovers on the roads and pavements to the delight of the scorries who are becoming a real problem in the town.
    I hope that they do target Wick soon and if this initiative makes the litter louts think twice about their actions then it will have served a valuable purpose.

I used to live close to a large school and the amount of litter generated by the pupils was a real eyesore.
    Several people complained to the school and the local council with the result that the school was provided with black sacks and litter picker sticks which were distributed to the pupils who then had to spend their own time clearing it up.
    A lesson learnt the hard way but it worked!

I think this is good idea and should be rolled out in every town. Come on up to Thurso as you would make enough money to pay off UK's Deficit.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

now heres the question.. how many affronted parents will be screaming about their darling being given an unjust fine?
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    now heres the question.. how many affronted parents will be screaming about their darling being given an unjust fine?
    Whats unjust about being fined for dropping litter?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

nothing *grins* im just wondering how many parents are going to be up in arms when the kids come home with a fine!
    personally, i would so lay in to my teen and take the fine out them.. but then again.. how many would be screaming.. not my child!
    http://itqueries.com/

Default Litter

It seems generally excepted that it's the young people of the parish that are the ones guilty of all the littering of our streets. I have seen on more than one occasion mothers pushing prams on the way back to town from Tesco in Wick, feeding there brats sweets and chucking the wrappers on the pavement.

If parents adopt this lazy filthy habit, what chance have you got of trying to educate there offspring that litter has a negative affect on everyone in the community.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Its not only mums, then.
    You see old men and ladies throwing cigarette ends on the ground, the car drivers who chuck things out thier window...late night revellers who strew their chips and wrappers behind them.

There are folk of all ages who litter and mostly they are following the example of their parents. The kids who are taught to bin it have a habit that will stay with them for life.
    For the country that accepted the smoking ban so readily, I can't see that they would have much of a problem with litter if there was legislation on it.

Why a £50 fine why not make it £100 instead and make the system run at a profit so it pays for itself and so its not funded by council tax.
    This is a typical example on how the councils need to start learning how to make things run at a profit and not at a cost to the tax payer.

I have a job (one of several) that requires me to keep the streets roads and byways of parts of Caithness clean and tidy. If I analyse the litter I pick up and categorise it. (This is a mental exercise you understand )

The majority would point to people of a youfful age, drinking and eating fast food in cars then chucking the rubbish out of the window.

The schools I visit are relatively tidy in comparison to the verges along our roads.

BTW it points to some serious drinking in cars, which is worrying.

£50 fine for fly tipping wouldn't even cover the cost of clearing it up.
    And as most are not caught and fined, I would think several 1000s of £s would be more approriate

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I have a job (one of several) that requires me to keep the streets roads and byways of parts of Caithness clean and tidy. If I analyse the litter I pick up and categorise it. (This is a mental exercise you understand )

The majority would point to people of a youfful age, drinking and eating fast food in cars then chucking the rubbish out of the window.

The schools I visit are relatively tidy in comparison to the verges along our roads.

BTW it points to some serious drinking in cars, which is worrying.

I wonder how much they would fine the Thirteen year old I saw drinking beer and then hiding the empty bottles in a neighbours garden? Would it be two fines, one for drinking underage and another for litter abuse? Or would they do absolutely nothing? Not so long ago I would have called the police like a good citizen, the only problem with that is from then on the litter ends up in MY garden and the offender gets a good laugh out of the deal!!!!

We have anti-social streets in the UK, time we saw that as litter and cleaned it up. Just a thought .........

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
    enforcement teams will be in Dingwall, Fort William and Inverness over the next two weeks beginning on Monday 25 October
    Phew! We're safe to dump stuff in Caithness then.

Thanks to the Highland council for advertising their presence. Guess we better keep hold of our litter for a while longer then!

Great idea but why advertise it? Wouldn't it be better to hope to catch some of the offenders rather than let them know when to arrange their holidays for?
    Or is is due to some PC rule or regulation that all potential offenders be advised of inappropriate dates and times to flout their stuff?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast