Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Are you a foodie fashionista or stuck doing the same food ?

Default Are you a foodie fashionista or stuck doing the same food ?

I used to do different things for dinner all the time and enjoyed creating in the kitchen...
    Now its nearly as predictable as the days of the week what is on offer.
    Tonight I did something I used to like doing...monkfish (its become really dear when it used to be cheap if not cheaper than chips)...and then wondered why...the kids complained...moaned all the way through dinner..

I dont get to cook so much anymore - dont see the point in cooking meals for one and a half and I've already filled the freezer!
    I have lots of parties so when I get the chance I like to try new things, I never follow recipes I do it all by taste. Everything is always homemade (apart from cheese, crisps, etc!) and it's nice when it's appreciated!

I usually cook from scratch, but, I seem to get stuck in a rut..if the kids like it...its served about once a week
    Used to love doing different things everday..no week was the same..now its all macaroni cheese, spag bol, stew, chicken stuffed with haggis, and chicken casserole...
    Same 10-12 dishes all the time!

Its hard when you have young kids though - you try something new and they prob won't like it and you don't want to risk it getting wasted. It's easier to stick to what they know!.....And cheaper! lol

Just would be interested in what everyone else was doing in the kitchen....that was a bit different than the usual...and if it was a creative weekend meal or a special occassion...or just because they fancied it or saw it in a mag/paper that week..
    Im bad at following recipes anyway...I subsitute..and dont measure...and add extras...
    Chicken surprise used to be a fave.(before kids).different every time..sometimes the suprise was there wasnt any chicken

We cook different things and no two weeks are the same, but my kids are older and will eat most things, even when at the points money is short we do a ready steady cook with what we can find, makes being broke fun

I totally sympathise with you!

My husband is a trained chef, and used to cook me some wonderful meals..... now we have 3 kids under 7yrs old and its the same stuff week in week out! I dont even need a shopping list anymore, I go around the supermarket and pick up the same stuff every week!

We are starting to experiment more now, as the 5 and 6yr olds eat at school at lunch time, so we are only cooking for 2 adults and toddler, but it is getting the motivation to try something new.

I am doing Slimming World at the moment and their recipe books have really helped. I also fancy Jamie Olivers 30 minute meals book - its on my christmas list!

One day, I hope I can get away from stew/ spag bol/ pork steaks/ sausage & mash etc but for now, its just easier - if a little boring!

My oldest is 4..youngest 10 mths!
    The middle one(2) is more willing to try different things and will eat mussels amongst others...but my eldest wont try things...without bribery!