Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hedgehog.

Default Hedgehog.

Last night when out with the dog at the braehead Wick I saw a animal comeing from the direction of the Piolot House at first I thought it was a cat when it got closer it turned out to be a hedgehog. It didnt look to be a fully grown one. It curled itself in a ball and last I saw it was still like that. I thought they would be hibernating by this time or maybe the weather is too mild.

Default Hedgehog

There is still a few about, we have one that comes in our back yard at night, it's quit funny watching Casper investigate and the hedgehog ain't that bothered by him.

Their are still plenty of juicy slugs for them to eat, but it wont be long now before they start to hibernate.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I think its mostly those that are not fat enough or are still juveniles that are still the most active trying to put on weight before the big sleep!
    The weather is still mild at the moment though which might be mucking up their biological clock a bit too.
    If you are going to feed them use cat/dog food (the wet stuff..pouches etc)
    And dont give them bread and milk...please!

just out of curiosity why no bread and milk?
    http://itqueries.com/

Its not good for their tummys..
    Digestion problems with the milk and swelling from the bread!

i was thinking you would put the bread in the milk and make it swell before they ate it.. but can see if milk dosent agree with em *grins*
    i still havent seen a hedgehog and been here for 10 years.. im such a townie!
    http://itqueries.com/

Default :)

i had picked one up in the snow 3yrs ago down in latheronwheel harbour i didnt think it was well so i took him home and fed it tinned cat food and milk, i had him till 3 weeks ago hes now buried in the garden... rip mr prickles..

sorry to hear that pickles has gone.
    But you had him for a long time for a wild hedgehog if thats any consolation!

Some small hedgehoge found just now are late juveniles trying to put on enough weight for their hibernation. Many don't make it,as a matter of course.
    If you feed them, give them cat food, not dog food as cat food is higher in protien, which they need. Plus water not milk. Don't dust them with flea powder. It does them in.
    And don't think they're living in "your" garden. Their territory can cover large areas.

The experts are here - http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 01-Dec-10 at 01:41.

From what I have scanned through on the website you gave the link to, any hedgehogs found wandering now are in need of extra help!
    If under 600grammes they wont survive a hibernation this winter (its going to be a long one)
    So should be fed and at least kept an eye on or taken in...and if poorly looking taken in and warmed up and SSPCA informed as it may need medical attention.