Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Alexander bain ( Inventor)

Smile Alexander bain ( Inventor)

Thought this might be of interest to anyone that is looking up the family of Alexander bain and Matilda Bowire Davis
    Was doing a search for Eliza the daughter of Alexander and Matilda Bain and i think i have found what could possibly be her living with her father in London in 1861 I also found that Henry Washington Bain was still alive in 1861 living at some kind of school establisment in Clapham London also found Isabella at another School establisment in London, but no trace of their brother Alexander. But i did find the name of the baby that was not named on the 1851 census Arthur Finlayson Bain 9 Aug 1851.
    Tiffers

Default Alexander Bains Children

Update on what i posted yesterday alas the Alexander Bain on the 1861 census with daughter is not him , I have found the name of the establisment that Henry was at in the 1861 census , British Orphan Asylum, Clapham Rise, Clapham . I also found a death for him for 1865 aged 16 years found this on ancestry Buriels
    also did a check on his sister Isabella and found this site which will be of interest to anyone that is researching Isabella http://www.archive.org/stream/womani...ge/36/mode/2up
    Anyone that would like the docs that i have downloaded can send me a pm
    Tiffers

Hi Tiffers,

how did you get these infos? It's really interesting! I just don't get the "women of india" connection to Isabella Bain. Could you explain that. Sorry, I'm no native speaker, so maybe that is why i struggle....
    THX
    Anne

Hi.. Alexander Bain's daughter Isobella went to India (she was a teacher) she married James Brander 3rd June 1876 in Madras. She became a School Inspectress and also established a Lecture Ship (boat) for Indian ladies to study aboard. In 1911 she was in China. Alexander, believed he went to America and became an Estate Agent he died suddenly on board ship entering New York Harbour (this info was passed to me) as yet I have not done anymore research on Alexander. Hope this helps.

Forgot to say he was my 4 x Gt Uncle on my mother's side of the family.

Hi Alexander Bain is also my 4x great uncle would be great to compare notes?