Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Flat Screen TV

Default Flat Screen TV

LCD, LED or plasma? Comments and recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    LCD, LED or plasma? Comments and recommendations please.
    I have had lcd have had no problems with i led is the latest so it should be better.
    Just make sure whatever you buy it has "freeview hd tuner" so you get free hd channels.
    I was looking at a 3d tv in comet yesterday and honestly when you wear the proper 3d glasses its a stunning picture the picture comes out of the tv its really smart but its expensive so i wont be buying that for while?

I went from LCD to Plasma (Panasonic 37X10)and have to say that I much prefer Plasma as the picture is more 'natural' and a big plus is I don't get the sore eyes I used to get after watching LCD for a while.

The only problem with Plasma is it's not so good for bright conditions so depends where your telly will be located?
    I have attached black out lining to my curtains and this has made a real difference.

Not too sure about 3D. Is this just a gimmick I take it that all we'll be able to get on 3D will be movies?

Crikey we've only just 'upgraded' to HD and now they bring out something else. Can't keep up.

I prefer the plasma but the next tv will be LED as they are supposed to be really good......depends on how much you wanna spend!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybiscuits03 View Post
    I prefer the plasma but the next tv will be LED as they are supposed to be really good......depends on how much you wanna spend!
    Why do you think LED will be better than plasma? I thought they would be subject to the same problems such as clouding?

Thanks for the replies. Ended up going for plasma- time will tell as to whether it was the right decision!

What make and model did you get LMS?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Why do you think LED will be better than plasma? I thought they would be subject to the same problems such as clouding?

LED's have a higher quality picture and are more energy efficient (some are 40% more efficient) and more importantly they look better!! (Don't stand out so far on the wall)
    Plasma's are not so great when it comes to paying ur lekkie bill!......Mine heats the room!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybiscuits03 View Post
    LED's have a higher quality picture and are more energy efficient (some are 40% more efficient) and more importantly they look better!! (Don't stand out so far on the wall)
    Plasma's are not so great when it comes to paying ur lekkie bill!......Mine heats the room!
    I have to my electric bill hasn't increased at all since getting a Plasma.
    The newer models are more energy efficient and only use more when there are bright scenes and use less in darker scenes so it balances out nicely.

You could always turn the heating down in your room!

I just find that LCD is far too bright for me and more 'artifical' and can't see that LED would be much different?

As I said though it's horses for courses and we all like different things.

I wasn't keen to change to plasma due to all the 'myths' but have to say I am so glad I did as the picture quality, to me, is much better. Of course, it will depend on the make of telly as some are better than others.
    I just happen to really like Panasonic.

I have to my electric bill hasn't increased at all since getting a Plasma.
    The newer models are more energy efficient and only use more when there are bright scenes and use less in darker scenes so it balances out nicely.

You could always turn the heating down in your room!

I just find that LCD is far too bright for me and more 'artifical' and can't see that LED would be much different?

As I said though it's horses for courses and we all like different things.

I wasn't keen to change to plasma due to all the 'myths' but have to say I am so glad I did as the picture quality, to me, is much better. Of course, it will depend on the make of telly as some are better than others.
    I just happen to really like Panasonic.
    All my tv's are Samsung and all plasma apart from the one in the bairns room which is an LCD, I do prefer the plasmas myself but will be updating when they decided to break! My tv's definitely use a lot of energy, I can tell when the telly in the kitchen is left on cos my energy meter tells me and then my daughter gets sent back downstair to turn it off! Although saying that they are never on without the surround sound so I suppose that'll eat a few pennies as well!

What make and model did you get LMS?
    Panasonic G20. Should get it next week and will report then on picture etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    Panasonic G20. Should get it next week and will report then on picture etc.
    Oh lucky you!!! That is a great model. What size?

It can take a wee while to choose the settings you like and also a Plasma picture gets better over a little bit of time.

Hope you love yours as much as I do mine.