Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Migrant fall

Default Migrant fall

Theres been a huge migrant fall over this side. Has any one been seeing birds over there?
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

There are a few robins about which I think are visitors,spotted a couple of small skeins of geese coming over but not seeing much else for the moment it all seems very quiet this side of the water too. Would have thought that the opening in the weather a few days ago and the northerly wind stream would have had the migrants heading south but little evidence of that as yet.

I would think there would be a fair chance of birds as soon as this wind eases up enough to let them show. Time to check those costal bushes!!

There are an unprecidented number of Lapland buntings in the north and west at the moment, Im sure there must be some along the north coast. They are well worth looking for!!

I live near Loch Yarrows, Brickigoe road and this morning I saw 3 large flocks of geese flying SE. To far to determine what type of goose

Conditions are looking good to bring in migrants from the east this weekend!!

Orkney has been covered in migrants both common and uncommon all weekend. The north and north east coast must have had a lot of birds ariving and moving on as well....

Its very disapointing that there seems like little interest in this board........is there another bird site in caithness that has up to date information on sightings and movments?
    Last edited by dafi; 11-Oct-10 at 09:40.

lots of greylag's arrriving over the weekend
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Greylags,pinkfeet arriving in large numbers and spotted the 1st swans coming over on Saturday.
    Was surprised to see 2 small flocks of Fieldfares yesterday, they seem a little early also spotted a Redpoll.

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    Orkney has been covered in migrants both common and uncommon all weekend. The north and north east coast must have had a lot of birds ariving and moving on as well....

Its very disapointing that there seems like little interest in this board........is there another bird site in caithness that has up to date information on sightings and movments?
    Hi dafi

There's been a few odds and sods going through, loads of turdidae at dusk and in the dark, you can hear them peeping as they fly over. Loads of geese at the moment, one skein of approx 1000 birds sounded like Pinkfeet, plenty of smaller parties of Greylags about. Had approx 25 Snow Buntings in the fresh stubbles near our house the other day, that's the largest party i've seen here since the early nineties when we used to get 300+ regularly. We've had Snipe and Golden Plover flying over quite low, almost as if they were being chased by something, but didn't see it whatever it was. Plenty of Twite and House Sparrows (50+ birds) in the stubbles, a few Linnets about, seeing more of these birds on a regular basis, much more so than a few years ago. We now seem to have acquired a Robin, don't know how long it'll stay, we had a Dunnock and a Wheatear last week. Our resident Buzzard looks rather out of place waggling and hopping about with his wings flopped down by his side in the stubble field, I suppose he's looking for insects and worms, but hoping he might find a mouse left over from the harvest. He keeps chasing the foraging Rooks to make them drop something they've found, he seems fairly succsessfull because he keeps pouncing on whatever they drop. We've also had up to 100 Common Gulls foraging in the stubbles with the Rooks and our local Kestrel keeps putting in an appearance from time to time.

You're right about the lack of interest lately, it used to be quite a lively board with people writing in regularly about what they'd seen or looking for info. There used to be a good bird club in Thurso where birders could meet up occasionally, but I don't think there's a lot of interest there now. Up to a couple of years ago Geoff Bates used to run Birding evening classes at the Thurso college, these classes also included a few local field trips where the students could put their new found skills into practice. This was a good opportunity to meet like minded people, learn about birds or pick up tips and ideas, unfortunately the college doesn't run them any more, cuts I suppose. There was a lot of interest in what was being seen locally and some of it always found it's way onto this forum. Maybe we should try and get another group going, I'm willing to help out with slide shows if that helps.

nirofo.
    Last edited by nirofo; 12-Oct-10 at 16:52.

I'm interested but have no clue what I'm looking at half the time! Saw a pair of swans fly over this morning and we've had both robins back for about a month. I'm eager to see if my little flock of grey partridge turn up in the field again.