Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Enola Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    That is the optimist's cop-out.
    What can I say, I'm the eternal one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    The bomb dropped on an uninhabited island near Japan would have ended the war I believe. There was no need for the USA to drop this bomb on Hiroshima or even less Nagasaki except to show that they could. Must be considered one of the biggest War Crimes ever.
    Those of us who were waiting to make the landing om the main Japanese islands certainly would not agree with you. I fought through the Pacific theater island-by-island to over come the enemy who bombed Pearl Harbor for a period of 36 months. The closer we got to the Japanese mainland, the harder the enemy fought. By the time we got to Iwo Jima and to Okinawa, the Japanese were fighting fiercely. Those who visited Japan after they surrended found their defences were ready to take millions of lives on both sides. Those of us who were there believed the dropping of the two A-bombs ultimately saved many lives inspite of what those who came along a couple of generations later try to portray. I am thankful my country had the intestinal fortitude to end the war right then and there in the manner which they did. Most of those who were with me agree to that statement. The emperor of Japan made the correct decision to end that war the way it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine
    Those of us who were waiting to make the landing om the main Japanese islands certainly would not agree with you. I fought through the Pacific theater island-by-island to over come the enemy who bombed Pearl Harbor for a period of 36 months. The closer we got to the Japanese mainland, the harder the enemy fought. By the time we got to Iwo Jima and to Okinawa, the Japanese were fighting fiercely. Those who visited Japan after they surrended found their defences were ready to take millions of lives on both sides. Those of us who were there believed the dropping of the two A-bombs ultimately saved many lives inspite of what those who came along a couple of generations later try to portray. I am thankful my country had the intestinal fortitude to end the war right then and there in the manner which they did. Most of those who were with me agree to that statement. The emperor of Japan made the correct decision to end that war the way it ended.
    I can only say that your opinion, based on your actual experience of the events, is probably right. I cannot argue. I was born in 1944 and grew up close to the event and I still believe that a real demonstation of the power of the bomb and the ease with which it could be utilised would have been enough to bring a surrender from any sane country but perhaps you are right in the case of Japan to whom surrender was worse than death.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine
    Well thank you for contributing! It is great when someone with real experience can come on here and discredit the notion that the bomb wasn't needed and Japan was on the verge of capitulation anyway.

Respect to you Sir!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    You make too many assumptions when you talk to me, my dear aspiring witch. Do not assume that I have not travelled. I have, extensively. How can I ask help from some-one who admits to taking weekend courses in Wicca. It's not that I don't take the subject matter of your posts seriously, it's you in your org persona that I find amusing. You are not alone in your use of esoteric terminology but you show an intellectual pride in your carefully bought knowledge which I find amusing although you patronising attitude is a wee bit annoying. Having you reply to me in your usual condescending fashion is like a first year pupil trying to impress a senior with what he has learned.
    Observing the sorry state of poor old Gaia and the insanity of the human race
    how can I not put down my own kind. The system is so out of balance that no immune system can put it right. My attitude is not at all negative, it is completely realistic and is based on a continuing observation of the game and our ecosystem for over thirty years using what was learned in the previous thirty. Dreadnought has the right of it but I consider the human race to be a cancer, not a virus
    I make no assumptions about you at all my dear Gleber2. I am neither condescending nor patronising, I am trying to help you escape from the philosophical straitjacket you have chosen to wear. I speak not of the esotoric but of the practical. Please come and join me and my friends.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011