Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Macaulay & Miller - Thrumster/Wick - 1830s onwards

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Macaulay & Miller - Thrumster/Wick - 1830s onwards

Hello all,

It has been a while since I posted, and I thought I would ask about a different branch of my family tree to see if anyone has the same interests. Not tried this group of people yet!

Macaulay - The earliest family I have is as follows...

Eneas Macinlay, later known as Angus Macaulay...married Christina Miller on 20th December 1850 in Thrumster, and they had the following children...

David Macaulay, 1851
    Kenneth Macaulay, 1852
    John Macaulay, 1854
    Ellen or Helen Macaulay, 1855 (my direct ancestor)
    Christina Macaulay, 1857
    Alexander Miller Macaulay, 1860
    Frank Macaulay, 1862
    Isaac Macaulay, 1863
    Ananias Macaulay, 1865

All of the above children were born in/around Thrumster, but the surname was recorded variously as Macinlay, McInlay, Macauly etc....

Several of the children died as infants/young children, but there may be a link somewhere. What is annoying is the father - Angus or Eneas - I am having real trouble finding a birth. His parents are noted as David Macaulay and Christina Gunn on his death certificate, but this does not appear to be correct. Angus says he was born in Latheron/Wick in the Census records, but there are no matches in the OPR. The closest match for an Angus is not the right one. Some of Angus & Christina's children are registered in the 'Free Church Records' which cover a very short period. Maybe he was born locally but not recorded, or he was born outwith Caithness - any suggestions?

The Miller side is Christina Miller - Angus' wife.

Miller - Christina's parents are Kenneth Miller and Ellen/Helen Bruce, married 24th December 1827 at Thrumster.

Their children are...

Isaac Miller, 1825
    Christina "Christy" Miller, 1828 (my direct line)
    MargaretMiller, 1831
    John Miller, 1834
    Janet Miller, 1835
    Helen Miller, 1838
    Alexander Miller, c. 1838
    Kenneth Miller, c. 1841 (twin)
    Sinclair Miller, c. 1841 (twin) - female

Anyone related to any of the above??? There is another Miller family also living in Thrumster at the same time that is also related - James Miller & Margaret Sutherland...

Thanks for reading,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 24-Sep-10 at 21:10.