Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osprey dies from deliberately-inflicted injuries in Highlands

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    im afraid whilst i dont disagree the person who has comitted this crime has done a terrible thing, i think paying for it with there life is a bit much

yes, they should be caught and punished if they deliberatly shot this bird, but wishing them a "slow and painfull death" shows about as much compasion as they have shown the poor bird, which is at the end of the day only a bird, to wish a fellow human the same fate is quite disturbing IMO.
    Buggy, why should I show this person any more compassion than he shown to the Osprey.........because he is Human???
    I am sorry if I disturbed with my strong views but you also disturbed me with your quote "which at the end of the day is only a bird" I could answer that with "at the end of the day he is only murderous Human who has no respect for life".
    He will get no compassion from me whatsoever!

C3.....

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Buggy, why should I show this person any more compassion than he shown to the Osprey.........because he is Human???
    I am sorry if I disturbed with my strong views but you also disturbed me with your quote "which at the end of the day is only a bird" I could answer that with "at the end of the day he is only murderous Human who has no respect for life".
    He will get no compassion from me whatsoever!

C3.....

each to there own C3, i have flown my own birds of prey and practised falconery, but i wouldnt wish someone to die over it, even if it was one of my birds they shot i thought that is what separated us from animals......
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    No, they are not lies, and I haven't questioned those facts or figures.

The point of my post was the statement:

Now, the Scottish Government website where your figures came from also quotes

"Tourism is one of Scotland's largest business sectors, providing direct employment for 200,000 people and generating visitor spending of more than £4 billion a year"

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Bu...dustry/Tourism

Now, using the words "LARGE MAJORITY" suggests that MOST of the Scottish Tourist industry is supported by Wildlife.

£276M and 2760 jobs for wildlife vs £4000M and 200000 jobs would suggest that Wildlife does not bring the "LARGE MAJORITY" of tourism to Scotland.

If the original poster had said "just under 10%" instead of "a large majority" then his post wouldn't have had the same effect. Hence, "sensationalist lies".

QED?
    I must say I wonder why you insist on splitting so many hairs in defence of a simple statement, maybe you have an ulterior motive? You seem to have a fascination with the the statement "a large majority", it's as if you are attempting to take the sting out of a very nasty incident that did occur, namely the cold blooded murder of a Schedule One protected Osprey by belittling anything that's said about it! In any case a large majority could mean anthing from say, 51% of all the tourists coming to Scotland, or something less, say 25% who only come to Scotland for the wildlife but when added to the rest who may come to Scotland for other reasons plus the wildlife will still give you a large majority. But whatever, the fact remains that very many people from all over the world come to Scotland to see all they can see, and that includes the wildlife.

Personally I decry anybody who persecutes wildlife for whatever reason, there is absolutely no justification for it in this day and age of enlightenment and rapidly declining species and habitats, especially so when quite a lot of it, (notice I didn't say a large majority here) is so-called legally protected.

If the gamekeepers jobs are at stake if they don't produce the numbers of game birds their employers demand and it entails illegal killing of protected birds of prey in order to meet those demands, then they deserve to lose their jobs and their employers should be brought to justice along with them if they continue to illegally persecute the Raptors.

There is no sound reason why any bird of prey should be put to death just so that a captive semi tame hand reared game bird can be released for the blood lust and pleasure of the gun toters.

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    I must say I wonder why you insist on splitting so many hairs in defence of a simple statement, maybe you have an ulterior motive? You seem to have a fascination with the the statement "a large majority", it's as if you are attempting to take the sting out of a very nasty incident that did occur, namely the cold blooded murder of a Schedule One protected Osprey by belittling anything that's said about it! In any case a large majority could mean anthing from say, 51% of all the tourists coming to Scotland, or something less, say 25% who only come to Scotland for the wildlife but when added to the rest who may come to Scotland for other reasons plus the wildlife will still give you a large majority. But whatever, the fact remains that very many people from all over the world come to Scotland to see all they can see, and that includes the wildlife.

Personally I decry anybody who persecutes wildlife for whatever reason, there is absolutely no justification for it in this day and age of enlightenment and rapidly declining species and habitats, especially so when quite a lot of it, (notice I didn't say a large majority here) is so-called legally protected.

If the gamekeepers jobs are at stake if they don't produce the numbers of game birds their employers demand and it entails illegal killing of protected birds of prey in order to meet those demands, then they deserve to lose their jobs and their employers should be brought to justice along with them if they continue to illegally persecute the Raptors.

There is no sound reason why any bird of prey should be put to death just so that a captive semi tame hand reared game bird can be released for the blood lust and pleasure of the gun toters.

nirofo.
    No ulterior motives here, if you go back to my first post, I agree with you.

I just hate sensationlism, especially in the tabloid press, where lies and exageration are used to enforce point that otherwise wouldn't recieve the attention craved.

I would have challanged a statistic like the one you posted whatever the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    No ulterior motives here, if you go back to my first post, I agree with you.

I just hate sensationlism, especially in the tabloid press, where lies and exageration are used to enforce point that otherwise wouldn't recieve the attention craved.

I would have challanged a statistic like the one you posted whatever the subject.
    While I agree with you regarding sensationalism in the tabloid press, I must point out that the persecution of Raptors is very under reported in all media. The reported incidents are just the extreme tip of the iceberg with just the stories that have the most impact being reported, such as the poisoning of three Golden Eagles, a Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk on the Skibo estate in Sutherland where Madonna was married.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-22348349/

nirofo.
    Last edited by nirofo; 29-Sep-10 at 01:43.

Surely any thing that brings the matter to public attention even if it is sesationalised is better than the matter not being reported at all.
    I know there is a small group of police officers who are dedicated to wildlife protection but does any one know if they operate this far north?
    In recent years all the incidents that they have dealt with seem to have been roughly in a line from Inverness to Fort William and further south.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Surely any thing that brings the matter to public attention even if it is sesationalised is better than the matter not being reported at all.
    I know there is a small group of police officers who are dedicated to wildlife protection but does any one know if they operate this far north?
    In recent years all the incidents that they have dealt with seem to have been roughly in a line from Inverness to Fort William and further south.

Hi LIZZ

Northern Constabulary supposedly have a Wildlife Liason Officer operating out of Thurso, although you wouldn't know it! There was at one time, not sure if he's still there, a so-called Wildlife Liason Officer based at Tongue, he was about as much use as a nine bob note, more of a hindrance than a help and showed his true colours on several occasions.

nirofo.

It seems that a beautiful bird like the Osprey is not as important in Scotland as it is in England, a reward of £1000 for information leading to the arrest of the person who recently shot an Ospey in Sussex, England is being offered by the RSPB and Sussex Police. I wonder why there was never a reward offered for information regarding the Osprey shot and killed at Dunbeath in Caithness ?????????????

See BBC report at this web link.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11514737

nirofo.
    Last edited by nirofo; 13-Oct-10 at 16:17.

That makes me hang my head in shame, I moved north because the wild life here was so special, I've yet to see an Osprey in the wild.
    Surely the hundreds that come to see them in Scotland are to be applauded and if it means that the species are protected, despite the rougue ghillie/gamekeeper then there is hope for the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12