Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budge of Caithness

Default Budge of Caithness

Is anyone doing Caithness BUDGES ?

I am doing the family of William Budge and Christina Johnstone marr 1851

Their children:
    William 1858
    Alex 1852
    Margaret 1854
    David 1856
    Elizabeth 1862
    John 1865

happy to exchange any info I have

Default A Lot Of Budge's In Caithness

Hi my grandfather was a william budge (Buchan) as he was known by from wick, he married a jean murrey i know he had a few brothers, seem to think around lybster can remember going to a farm out that way when i was a little.I do have his birth cert so i will get it out and have a look, would be intrested in helping you with this, being a budge myself
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Default Budge of Caithness

Hallo Ciderally,
    Thank you for your reply.
    There were lots of Budges around Lybster and Latheron, I am happy to exchange info with you.
    Regards
    Trinkie

Smile

Hallo Trinkie
    We meet on a different site!

I have an extra child 1871 Census Wellington Street, Wick.
    James Alexander Budge b 25 Nov 1865 same age as John Sinclair Budge in 1871 1881 - They were twins born in Wellington Street.
    NOTE: There was another John b 30 Mar 1860 d 14 Feb 1861
    NOTE: Note also Eliz on census shows as aged 3 - b 2 Jan 1869. There was another Elizabeth b 18 Jan 1862 who died 10 Sep 1864. Pulteneytown. They were both Elizabeth Miller Johnston.

Also Christina's brother is with them in 1861 1871 1881.

1871 Census
    BUDGE William Head M M 45 Cooper CAI Wick BUDGE Christina Wife M F 44 O CAI Wick
    BUDGE Margaret Daur U F 16 O CAI Wick
    BUDGE David Son O M 14 ropemaker CAI Wick
    BUDGE William Son O M 12 Scholar CAI Wick
    BUDGE James Son O M 5 O CAI Wick
    BUDGE John Son O M 5 O CAI Wick
    BUDGE Elizabeth Daur O F 3 O CAI Wick
    JOHNSTON David Brolaw U M 47 Fisherman CAI Wick 1824

Tricia

Default Budge - Caithness

Hallo again Tricia,
    Thank you for your reply.

I do have that census info.
    and I see that David Johnstone brother of Christina - lived with the Wm Budge family.
    I dont have a marriage for David Johnstone - but see he registered his sister Christina Budge's death in 1898
    Do you have any more on David Johnstone ?

Happy to exchange any info.
    Trinkie

Default Budge

I too am looking at some of the Budge families. Particularly Henry Budge who married barbara Andrew. She came from Watten

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    I too am looking at some of the Budge families. Particularly Henry Budge who married barbara Andrew. She came from Watten
    I did not find a marriage but found the following children:

William - born 1786 at Bower
    Agnes - 17/2/1790 at Bower
    Elizabeth - 29/1/1792 at Bower
    Catherine and Helen - 15/3/1794 at Bower
    Jean - 17/5/1797 at Watten, also has the entry at Bower.

My family is also Budge , descended from James Budge who was the farmer at Inkstack Dunnet in the 1841 census.

Rosemary

Queensland Australia

Default Margaret Budge, Lybster

I have a Margaret Budge who married into the Macpherson family that I am researching. My James McPherson (b. 1829) married Margaret Budge - both from Lybster (Latheron parish) - on 15 May 1857. Margaret was the daughter of Alexander Budge and Margaret Couper and was christianed on 4 October 1829 in Occumster.

Default Budge and Bruce

I'm researching this family, if I've got it right they're related to me by marriage - one of the family married my aunt and was also my godfather. He is my only starting point, but is sadly no longer alive - hence my slight doubt that I've found the right family!

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Budge m. John Bruce at Achalone, 1898. He was a quarry engine driver from Spittal, though he'd been born at Watten. Witnesses were Alexander Budge and Jane Bruce.

Her parents were Alexander Budge, farmer, from Achalone, and Isabella Sinclair (m. Halkirk, 1875. Witnesses: Robert Bain and Alexander Sinclair.)

His parents were Henry Bruce, flagstone labourer, and Jamesina/Jemima Sutherland, (m. Watten, 1862. Witnesses: John Bruce and Johan Geddes.)

John and Lizzie had several children born between 1899 and 1911, including Henry, Isabella, Jamesina, Alexander who died in infancy, John, William, Elizabeth and another Alexander.

John died in 1952, Lizzie in 1954, both at Spittal.

I would really welcome any help and info .....thanks!
    Last edited by Angela; 28-Jan-08 at 22:31. Reason: addition

Default budge

the only budge i have is jannet/jennet budge who married alexander cormack on the 16th nov 1750 in wick they are my great 4x grandparents, their daughter isabel/isabella married alexander steven/stephen on 26th jan 1799 in wick. i have not yet comfirmed her birth date

I have some info to throw into the mix

James Budge (Fisherman) was born in 1786 and died Feb 15 1861, his wife was Margaret Forbes (daughter of Thomas Forbes and Catherine Sutherland) who died Mar 17, 1867

They had seven children, John, Betty b1821, Ann b 1821, Catherine b 1827, twins b 1826 and another child born in 1841

The eldest son John married Elizabeth McKenzie on Feb 7 1862 in Latheron and they had a son Charles McKenzie Budge b Apr 22, 1866 - d 1924, he married Isabella Sutherland, daughter of Peter Sutherland and Dorothy Munro on Mar 29, 1892.

Their son was Peter Stewart Sutherland Budge who was born on Oct 15, 1892 in Lybster. Peter Stewart Sutherland Budge married Ruth Alexandra Mills Davidson in Strathpeffer on Nov 7, 1924, they are my great Grandparents.

My family all originate from the Lybster, Latheron and Occumster area
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Default BUDGE and CORMACK in KEISS, WICK

Don
    Re Alex Cormack & Janet Budge
    SEE NEW THREAD -------- BUDGE and CORMACK in KEISS, WICK
    Tricia

Default another Budge family

I have traced my budge family back to Dunnet.

James Budge born 1758, his wife Magaret Calder Born 1760, son Alexander born 1789, married Christina Mackay born ?, their son James born 1812, his wife Jane Traill Murray born 1819, their son Alexander born 1838,married Willamina Hastings born 1859, their son John Sinclair Budge born 1894, married Jane Campbell born 1895, then me william budge born 1928.

other names that appear on the tree are Lourie, Waiter, Brotchie, jackson. all from Dunnet.

I will be visiting Dunnet around easter bank holiday and hope to meet some of the Budge clan and find more info regarding the ancestors.

Regards
    Willie Budge

Default Budge

Hallo Ziljin,

Our Budges dont seem to match - mine come from the Latheron area.

Good luck when you visit Dunnet, I hope you make many contacts.

It's a beautiful part of the county - but windy, so take something warm to wear.

Trinkie

Default Budges of Dunnet

Did your James have a sister Janet who married John Dunnet? They lived in Brough.

Mamie

Hi all
    I have 2 lines of Budges. 1 line is James Budge & Margaret Calder same as ziljin's and the other is James Budge & Violet Manson.
    James & Violet were married 12.2.1761 in Olrig. Children so far are Alexander 1763, Janet 1766, Donald 1768, James 1772 all ch Olrig & John 1779, Katherine 1781 Ch Thurso. Katherine went on to marry David Sutherland and they stayed in Dunnet.
    Fiona

Default Budge

Mamie and Fiona - still not my Budges !

Good luck,
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by fja View Post
    Hi all
    I have 2 lines of Budges. 1 line is James Budge & Margaret Calder same as ziljin's and the other is James Budge & Violet Manson.
    James & Violet were married 12.2.1761 in Olrig. Children so far are Alexander 1763, Janet 1766, Donald 1768, James 1772 all ch Olrig & John 1779, Katherine 1781 Ch Thurso. Katherine went on to marry David Sutherland and they stayed in Dunnet.
    Fiona
    Fiona,
    JAmes Budge and Violet Manson are my direct line. Their son JAmes married Isabel Swanson. Their son James married Margaret Robson . James and MArgaret moved to Bigton Farm Shetland in 1855 , where I was born. JAmes and MArgaret were my great great grandparents. I have just looked at the OPR for children born to David and Katharine and see that James Budge and Isobel Swanson feature as frequent witnesses.

If you are related I would love to hear from you. I have almost completed a history of the Budge family from 1699 to present. I can see that I am going to have to add some more pages - how exciting.

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary
    I think we have coresponded before way back in 2003. At that time I hadn't done as much work on my 'Family'. I have 2 James Budges as 4th G Grandparents so thats an awful lot of Budges to sort out lol. Catherine Budge 1781-1859 married David Sutherland. On her DC it states James Budge & Violet Manson as her parents. Catherine & David's son James married Margaret Budge and her parents were James Budge & Margaret Calder.
    You can mail me direct at fandgandersonATaol.com if you would like to swap info
    Cheers
    Fiona

Default Budge

Rosemary
    Do you have anything on the parents of Henry budge born 1744 in Watten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast